Melee Fort

T

The Asylum

So I've been able to fix the Targe not stripping anymore, but I figure a month is too short a time span to be releasing builds, especially if it doesn't include any significant changes or fix anything substantial (and you never know if the next update is gonna fuck something else up). So here's some things I've been mulling over in between playing Conduit 2 and sleeping:

- Currently the only spawnpoints in Arena Melee Fort are in the fort hallways. Thinking of leaving 2/3 of them in the halls, and the other 1/3 behind the toll booths. You know, mix shit up a little.

- Making the enemy stage spawns inside the forts acessible in Arena Melee Fort, but not the courtyard.

- Redoing the bridges over the moats and adding a roof to them, so Caber Demos won't be quite as screwed.

- Not changing anything with the Deathmatch spawnrooms. I've given admins ample caution already.

- Changing DUEL Melee Fort to a mashup of the RED and BLU courtyards, so you can have your duel, and titantrons too.

- Introducing gcone1's forced duel system to DUEL Melee Fort. How this is going to work into DUEL Melee Fort exactly as it is now, I don't know. But something I've been tossing around in my head.

Thoughts?

T

The Asylum

Having ungoldy amounts of fun witht he Caber now that the resupply lockers are in place. I (almost) regret my choice of making almost everything outdoors.

Anything that you guys would like to see roofed, let me know.

T

The Asylum

I don't believe it. Over a month now without another crippling update. I'm beginning to reconsider my decision to hold off on a new release until the next major update. That Targe is every bit the deal-breaker I feared it would be.

Come on Valve, this is the one time I actually WANT you to break Melee Fort more than you have already.

T

The Asylum

So far, it doesn't look like any of the new weapons will require new kill inputs, so hopefully the A8 builds will be good to go the very moment the Uber Update is released. This counts as a major update, right? Sure it does. Break or no break, I'm taking the chance now. It's about damn time to oust the demoshields for good.

T

The Asylum

With little surprise, items_game.txt is buggered up again, and I'm left with puzzling filenames of tf_weapons_soda_popper and tf_weapon_handgun_scout_secondary, which just may be two of the new scout's weapons. Why they couldn't just share entity names with the Scattergun and pistol, I don't know. I guess Valve really does hate Melee Fort.

As soon as I can verify all new weaps are properly stripped, it's time to bust out the A8 builds.

ETA: also, a tf_weapon_sniperrifle_decap. Seems I have my work cut out for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

The Asylum

Oh wow.

I just discovered a serious, serious, how-the-fuck-did-i-miss-it exploit. But I'm really surprised that nobody else noticed it. Since the A7 builds are not long for this world any more, lets see if anyone can find what I'm taking about.

T

The Asylum

Update time, finally.

http://www.gamebanana.com/maps/157392

CHANGES FROM A7

GENERAL CHANGES
- Targe is stripped. Again.
- Tweaked the stripper system again. Any hiccups you may have experienced with it should now be resolved.
- Uber Update compatible.
- Fixed a spawnroom exploit.

VERSION SPECIFIC CHANGES

CP
- Lengthened the cap time for the final points just a bit

DUEL
- We now run on Medieval Mode

CHOOSER
- No longer forces the server to disable respawn times.

No screens this time around, as I didnt add anything significant. Its pretty much the same as A7, but with Uber Update compatibility. And best of all, no Targe.

T

The Asylum

I think the lack of comments is because that people does'nt give a shit about melee maps :/

Yeah, I guess that's pretty obvious huh :p Especailly since most of them either use sv_cheats still or look like Babby's First Map. It's a stereotype about funmaps that I don't think will ever be shaken, but dammit, it doesn't hurt to try.

T

The Asylum

If anyone hasn't checked out the new builds (or any Melee Fort) before, July 9 is my King for a Day on the calculatedChaos Fartlandia Funland server. My first and last decree is "Let there be Melee Fort!"

64.74.97.81:27015

p much a 24-hour beta test, featuring all versions, even the Chooser.

T

The Asylum

Well, I think in terms of layout and gameplay, we're pretty much done here, bar any further gamebreaking new melee weapons (I did so hate that Ullapool Caber on a5). Now all that's left is prettying up the skybox, adding props and shit, and doing some massive, massive optimization. So from here on out, while I learn me some proper optimization, any further updates will only feature updated weapon compatibility. After that, we're finally going into Beta. So if you wanna see something happen, now's the time to tell me.

Release candidates? Final version? Pffffft, yeah. When Valve stops adding content to TF2, and who knows when that's gonna happen.

T

The Asylum

I.... I just dont know.

I just don't fucking know shit anymore.

I waited two months. Two months to fix the crippling Demoknight jailbreak. Two long agonizing months. And when I did, I was so happy. So happy. Once again, for what seemed like the longest stretch since this project's undertaking, Melee Fort was finally rebalanced.

And not even a month later?

THIS.

items_game.txt is still broken, but if the rest of the GCF is as reliable as it has been in the past, the new weapons will make it out of the strippers.

I..

I just....

73679898.gif

T

The Asylum

Welp, the A9 builds are just about ready to go, but I'm at a bit of a writer's block when it comes to the new Chooser. See, while the old Chooser was technically A-OK, it failed the field test. I failed to factor into account that so many players all trying to destroy one little dummy may not wind up hitting the dummy, but themselves if the ring is crowded enough. Currently I'm trying to figure out a way to give make the choosing method an accurate vote of player preference, without having to resort to capture points.

A trivial issue? Sure, but I don't design features I don't intend to keep.

T

The Asylum

Welp, the new gimmick for the chooser doesn't want to work right, so while I conjure up something else, it's high time I doled out the much-needed compatibility update. On with A9, Chooser be damned!

http://www.gamebanana.com/maps/158324

GENERAL CHANGES
- Added compatibility for new Soldier weapons

ARENA Changes
- The stage rooms are now accessible. The courtyards, however, are not.

CP Changes
- Tweaked the stripper system, again. It'll work flawlessly this time. I swear.

CTF, DM, DUEL, KOTH Changes
- nothing foo' they're perfect

T

The Asylum

I've been asked this question many times before. "Asylum, why do you have so damn many Melee Forts?" The answer: simple acts of defiance.

They said Scout rushes would ruin a melee-only CTF map. I circumvented them. They said an Arena melee map would never end. I made it endable. They said melee-only on a full-blown 5-point push CP map would be too damn big and should never be done. I did it anyway. Shouldn't, wouldn't, couldn't be done; all done. Except for one.

Payload.

If anyone's wondering why they've never seen a Melee PL map before, it's because I haven't tried it out yet. How could I get it to work, I asked myself. More importantly, what brand new theme could I give it? (I kid, of course). Actually more important than new themes is how I'd get it to work into the current Melee Fort layout. I didn't exactly design it with PL in mind. Of course I played around with PL with the old Meleefort (That's Meleefort, the old, shitty maps), but nothing ever came of it. I figure, if I'm going to keep selling Melee Fort as the panacea of all things melee, I'd better get on it.

T

The Asylum

Yeah, so PLR Melee Fort is pretty much done on a physical sense, now I gotta wade through the nightmare that is the PLR entity setup. I know the SDK wasn't released with a whole lot of PL-related entites, but holy FUCK you think they'd make it a litte easier.

While I pull my hair out trying to make sense of the godforsaken mess I've just made, I'm listening to what may be the new Titantron themes: Man on the Silver Mountain and Stone Cold Crazy

T

The Asylum

As far as I can tell, the Deus Ex update shouldn't break Melee Fort; the only addition to the weapon entities that I can see is tf_weapon_mechanical_arm (No, that's not the Gunslinger- that's tf_weapon_robot_arm)

We'll have to see how balanced this new one is, hopefully it won't be Zatoichi'd.