Melee Fort

T

The Asylum

It works the same as any other KOTH map. Except it's melee-only.

As for being creative, just look at the "ring." Two boxcars and a scaffold bound together by 4 street lamps, crane hooks, and hazard tape. It's like if Marcel DuChamp uncreamated, reanimated, and then started mapping for Source

T

The Asylum

And the A2 builds are out.

Not really much in terms of significant visual changes, but a shitload of gameplay fixes, notably the Medic's infinite overheal problem.

T

The Asylum

I've recently gotten a suggestion for the KOTH/CP versions, regarding the (sheer genious) Boxcar/Scaffold control point. As it is now, the trigger_capture_area brush only covers the middle of the combined top surface area of the boxcars and scaffold, so you can only activate the trigger_capture_area if you're in or at least close to the middle of the platform. My rationale behind this being, I want to encourage more people to get in on top of the conglomerate platform for crazy brawls, rather than just being held off at the edge.

The suggestion was to extend the trigger brush so that it covered ALL of the platform, so as long as you were on top of the boxcars/scaffold, you'd be activating the trigger brush.

I, personally, don't like it, but I want to hear what you guys would have to say about it.

T

The Asylum

I've recently gotten a suggestion for the KOTH/CP versions, regarding the (sheer genious) Boxcar/Scaffold control point. As it is now, the trigger_capture_area brush only covers the middle of the combined top surface area of the boxcars and scaffold, so you can only activate the trigger_capture_area if you're in or at least close to the middle of the platform. My rationale behind this being, I want to encourage more people to get in on top of the conglomerate platform for crazy brawls, rather than just being held off at the edge.

The suggestion was to extend the trigger brush so that it covered ALL of the platform, so as long as you were on top of the boxcars/scaffold, you'd be activating the trigger brush.

I, personally, don't like it, but I want to hear what you guys would have to say about it.

..... nobody?

Welp, a4 is going to be (hopefully) compatible with the Poly update (and we'll see what that new mystery game mode is, and see if I can work that into another Melee Fort :D ). So until then, if anybody wants the CP/KOTH cap trigger brushes changed, speak now or forever hold your peace.

T

The Asylum

No?

Well then. The trigger brush stays as-is.

Better late than never, here's screens of new Melee Fort:

cpmeleeforta30002.jpg

Skybox filler

ctfmeleeforta30003.jpg

Actual window frames

The Arena version of the map was already released, and a few days ago, so were the KOTH, CTF, and CP versions. I'm just waiting on Tapp to finish a chain model for me to wrap up the DM version, put them all in one tidy little .rar, and call the A3 builds a wrap. Why am I waiting for said chain model? Have a look at what dm_melee_fort_a2 looked like on BLU's base in a2:

dmmeleeforta20007.jpg

And now in a3, post-Engineer update:

dmmeleeforta30001.jpg

Icky isn't it? Valve did something to VRAD that made everything dark and muddy, especially BLU's team-colored ropes. Hence the need for a change.

FUN FACT: Even so far back as the very first meleefort sketches way back when, I wanted to do RED's ring with actual ropes (very possible), and BLU's ring with chains, to be in-line with Valve's team philosophy (Rustic RED, Industrial BLU), but as we all know, multiple tiny chain links give Hammer shitfits, and a chain texture for move_rope buggers up with VRAD.

The chain/rope feature will be present in DM in it's a3 build, but it's the regular ol' red/blu cables for the other versions of a3. Being in a daytime lighting, they don't look nearly as ugly as they do in the nighttime lighting of the DM version.

If I'm gonna do it, I may as well do it right.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

The Asylum

Something I've been thinking about....

In the versions that feature the courtyard (CP. CTF, and DM), wouldn't it be cool if, when a player left the stage spawns, the ones with the big Titantrons (oh god please don't sue me WWE), a theme would play. Like a 5-second tune that would trigger as a player left the spawn room, and fade out shortly after. Of course, It'll be one-activation-per-5s, so it wouldn't layer over itself :/

If I do go ahead with this idea, what should I use?

T

The Asylum

cC gamers, rejoice. I have figured out how to fix the weapons shed doors not opening when KOTH_melee_fort is won in overtime. This will be fixed in the a4 releases, which I expect will be Polycount Update compatible... if Valve ever releases it sometime this year :/

Other bugs/issues that have been brought to my attention:

ARENA:
One weapon isn't being stripped. Easily fixable
Players being able to jump over the walls and be useless. Easily fixable

CONTROL POINTS:
HUUUUEG respawn times. Easily fixable

KING OF THE HILL:
Cap times. I agree, it's too long. Easily fixable.

We're still waiting on Tapp and Acumen for the chain models.

But, enough of that. Since I don't expect the DM version to be all that popular, I'm wrapping A3 up and calling it done. Behold, NEW MELEE FORT!

arenameleeforta30006.jpg

The bridge in Arena has gotten bigger and overall better

ctfmeleeforta30002.jpg

kothmeleeforta30000.jpg

Skybox is still primitive and simple, but hey, it's a start.

CHANGES FROM A2

Arena:
Modified the bridge to be wider and ditched the boxing ring idea. Now there's no need to jump into the cap point

General:
Added a skybox in all modes, except Arena (completed before the rest as an engineer update patch)
Engineer Update compatible

T

The Asylum

Better late than ever I suppose, it's Melee Fort A3. Deathmatch style!

dmmeleeforta30004.jpg

RED's base, showing off the new ropes

dmmeleeforta30005.jpg

BLU's base, showing off the new "ropes" as well. Big thanks to Acumen

dmmeleeforta30006.jpg

DM_MELEE_FORT_A3 FUCK YEAH!

CHANGES FROM A2

- Added an actual skybox yay
- Replaced RED and BLU's ring ropes with actual rope and chains respectively
- Brightened up some places that really needed a brightening

DL: http://taotd.250free.com/melee_fort/dm_melee_fort_a3.bsp

T

The Asylum

Is it time for Melee Fort A4 already? You betcher ass it is!

arenameleeforta40001.jpg

Arena's gotten a pretty skybox, Other than that, nothing's changed much, except for this:

arenameleeforta40000.jpg

Since some people obviously cannot read (and then ask "HERP where come i has no bat DERP"), this visual aide will hopefully get the message across that Sadman is a no-fly in Melee Fort.

ctfmeleeforta40004.jpg

Lotta changes to CTF, including the cosmetic changes to RED's base.

ctfmeleeforta40007.jpg

Seriously. If this doesn't convey to anyone "YOU CAN'T TAKE THIS SHIT HERE," I have to ask, does your caretaker know you play this game?

dmmeleeforta40001.jpg

Not much changes from a3 in DM, 'cept for the version-wide visual unity in RED's base.

dmmeleeforta40002.jpg

Also, lights in places that really needed lights.

cpmeleeforta40000.jpg

No significant changes to CP either, except I've finally fixed the respawn time issues.

kothmeleeforta40000.jpg

And with KOTH too. The Slobberknocker Storehouse makeshift boxing ring has gotten a minor facelift though. Oh, and the weapons sheds will open as they're supposed to this time.

And last but not least, a brand-new game mode! Take the last forward spawns from CP mode and the crown jewel of KOTH mode, put them together and you get:

duelmeleeforta40000.jpg

DUEL Melee Fort! It's just you and some other punk in a fight to the finish.

MELEE FORT A4 FUCK YEAH

CHANGES FROM A3

Version-wide changes:
- Added some much-needed unity to RED's theme
- Added more visual facelifts
- Oh yeah, and this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzV_JYQNn7A

ARENA CHANGES
- Visual warning that Sandman is banned instead of text

CP CHANGES
- Respawn times issue fixed
- Blocked off upper deck access in and out of the storehouse. Perfect for ambushes.
- Secondary spawn no longer exists. It's now just the Stage Spawn, Tollbooth Spawn, and Train Car Spawn

CTF Changes
- Intelligence now sits flat when dropped
- Enhanced the NO INTEL display, so morons on your team have a better chance of knowing where to go

DM Changes
- lights lights lights and more lights
- Added some spawnpoints to the mini-resupply room inside the opposite team's base, to encourage fisticuffs in the courtyard's boxign rings instead of on the bridges most of the time

KOTH Changes
- Shortened the cap time for the point. Things should go really back-and-forth now.
- Fixed the stripper still being active on round end
- Also, the weapons shed will open like it's supposed to.

DL: http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/146311

T

The Asylum

don't everybody start caring at once now -_-'

Some issues that I'd like some input on:

1. Entrance themes

Because env_soundscape is unreliable for turning on/off, I've had to use ambient_generics for the walkout music. However, because they're so goddamn quiet, what I've had to do is stack multiple ambient_generics on top of each other, which I've heard makes a few people lag while playing, especially with DM Melee Fort, what with the rain effects as well. That and it becomes blaringly loud for some people. My options at this point are:

- Learn how to (or beg someone to) make a plugin that will handle the music. Of course, having to install additional plugin crap is not something I'd like to force on admins, especially for something superficial.

- Change the rainy enviroment from DM Melee Fort to some other mode that doesn't use the music, like KOTH or Arena. It won't solve the volume problem but will alleviate the lag

- Fuck around with ambient_generics some more and hope something else works

- Hope and pray that I can find a way to make env_soundscape workable

- Scrap the music altogether (which I really really really don't wanna do)

2. Critboost on CTF captures

I can understand Valve's motives for introducing this game mechanic, but it isn't necessary when the most defense a team can put up is their melee weapon. I don't know if I can force a server to disable capture crits, don't know if I want to. How else are we supposed to have a fighting chance against KGB Heavies?

3. Overpowered weapons

Namely KGB Heavies and Powerjack Pyros. KBG Heavies haven't really been that big a problem, and I can't strip the KGB without also stripping the GRU and the regular fists. Powerjack Pyros are a serious breaker though, and I can't strip them either, as they share the same entity name as the regular fire axe. The only two solutions I can come up with are:

- build/beg for a plugin that denies players access to a class with Powerjacks equipped. Again, Forcing plugins on admins isn't something I'm too keen on

- Strip the damn thing anyway along with the fire axe. Marginally more appealing than the other solution, but still, it's a bitter pill to swallow. I already screwed over Scouts by the (completley necessary) banning of the Sandman, I don't want to make Pyro completley useless.

And that about wraps it up.

One more thing though, if I were to convert one game mode to a winter theme (like koth_viaduct), which mode would you want to see it on?

T

The Asylum

ah shit

Valve and their surprise updates. Because I've got nothing better to do, I've rolled out a5 a little earlier than I'd like to.

http://taotd.250free.com/melee_fort/melee_forts_a5.rar

CHANGES FROM A4
- GENERAL CHANGES
-- All the various boxing rings now use NODRAW instead of playerclip. The reason being that when you beat an enemy to death he won;t go flying out of the ring. No, now he'll stay slumped up against the ropes/tape/chains. Just imagine the final push into RED's Rumble Ring, with the bodies piling up inside. Delicious.
-- Entrance themes have been quieted down a little. We'll see how this works out.
-- Extended the skybox by a whole hell of a lot, so the endless expanse looks really (sort of) endless
-- Australian Christmas Update compatible
- ARENA CHANGES
-- Nothing foo' its perfect
- CP CHANGES
-- Fixed some respawn point issues. You'll spawn where you're supposed to now, I swear.
-- Leftovers from CTF Melee Fort in BLU's base have been dealt with
- KOTH CHANGES
-- Shortened the cap time
-- THIS time, the stripper really WILL be killed when a round ends. I'm sure this time.
- DM CHANGES
-- Nothing foo', other than the new Halloween skybox
- DUEL CHANGES
-- Nothing foo' its perfect

But what about CTF Melee Fort? Oh, I've saved the best for last. Behold, the NEW CTF Melee Fort!

ctfmeleeforta50000.jpg

ctfmeleeforta50001.jpg

ctfmeleeforta50002.jpg

Yep, so I went ahead with the winter theme after all. after Valve's mystery game mode turned out to be some minigame crap. Why waste a good thing going, I figured.

-CTF CHANGES
-- No more arbitrary cap limit! Whoohoo!
-- Huge cosmetic overhaul
-- No critboost for you

Pseudo

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 26, 2008
I've played around with melee mapping a bit and found that one possible alternative to banning the Sandman would be a logic_timer that kills all tf_projectile_stun_ball every 0.1 seconds.

Also there is a way to partially "futureproof" a melee map from new weapon entities being added: use the entity filter_tf_damaged_by_weapon_in_slot and then the input setdamagefilter on the player entity. Then if Valve adds new non-melee weapons, they will not deal any damage.

Last edited:
T

The Asylum

Also there is a way to partially "futureproof" a melee map from new weapon entities being added: use the entity filter_tf_damaged_by_weapon_in_slot and then the input setdamagefilter on the player entity. Then if Valve adds new non-melee weapons, they will not deal any damage.

"filter_tf_damaged_by_weapon_in_slot"

Is this a point entity? It doesn't appear to be anywhere in Hammer. Or has Valve just not updated the fdg to include it yet?

Whated

L2: Junior Member
Jul 23, 2010
The winter theme looks sexy! Except!

At first screen of winter theme, theres sand in the "river". I dislike that part a lot. I would change that texture!

-Whated

T

The Asylum

The winter theme looks sexy! Except!

At first screen of winter theme, theres sand in the "river". I dislike that part a lot. I would change that texture!

-Whated

It's actually the snow patch overlay over a custom made ice texture, like a real lake/river/body of water in a snowfall