Medieval mode maps

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Jeay_PL, May 29, 2011.

1. Jeay_PL

Jeay_PL L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Hi everybody!

I am the administrator on a one of the biggest medieval TF2 servers in the world. As far as I am concerned our server is the only of this type which host custom maps. Currently we play on six different maps:

arena_medieval_b4_v1
    cp_degrootkeep
    cp_redfort_b5
    cp_temple_medieval_rc4
    ctf_chaos
    koth_gatehouse_b1a
    pl_yamashiro_medieval_b3
    plr_highwind_a5

Also, we are currently testing these maps:

arena_fort_alpha4
    koth_helix_b6
    pipe_balle_a1

We are looking for new, promising maps so I would appreciate all your suggestions. We would also like to cooperate with map creators, so if you are planning or already started making one, we are ready to help by testing it.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  2. TheKieranator

TheKieranator L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Greetings, my liege!
    I be a lowly squire of the mapping artistry, but I toileth away at a Medieval map. I hath slackened offe but I maye be able to step it up. Quite simply, the map I be a-workin' on is ctf_teuforte, a fully themed version of ctf2fort. The gameplay is essentially the same, albeit with some minor differences such as lighting. Oh, and the bridge does not have a roof/cover, since ranged fire is reduced and only the fleet-footed scout would regularly utilise it as a place to be moving.

3. REEJ

REEJ L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Could always include a medieval version of practically any map (that is in older theme)

Got 2 maps that would probably fit very well, 1 fully finished can be fixed for medieval in no time.
    Where you want me to submit these?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Jeay_PL

Positive Ratings:
  5. REEJ

Positive Ratings:
    Alright then, once I'm done I will host it there and post a link here so make sure to check this thread from time to time.
    First map will be done and posted today or by tomorrow, the second one within a week perhaps.

6. Jeay_PL

Positive Ratings:
    Sure. Thank you very much :).

7. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
    If you're going to do the idea that everyone has had, at least spell Teufort right.

8. REEJ

Positive Ratings:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Trotim

aa Trotim

Positive Ratings:
    I'm actually working on a small medieval map to try out if a game mode could work there (because it failed in normal gameplay) and for some texturing/detailing exercise when I'm stuck on a part of my KOTH I dunno how to detail.

I guess I can try and hurry a first playable alpha out but I'm not promising anything, didn't know there was much demand for medieval maps though so I guess that's motivating

10. Jeay_PL

Positive Ratings:
    We are looking forward to see your map then :).

11. The Asylum

aa The Asylum

Positive Ratings:
    If only I could get trigger_ignite_arrow to work consistently...

12. REEJ

Positive Ratings:
    Just figured it out
    Basically it does not update 'origin' variable of entity upon copying, update it manually everytime you copy trigger_ignite_arrow and it's gonna work.

Edit: unless you're talking about something I didn't notice yet myself

13. Empyre

Empyre L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'm curious. How well is koth_helix_b5 playing in medieval mode? I never played it that way, but I imagine it should work fine, maybe even better than normal mode.

Every play day, players were not liking the medieval theme, so b5 is the last version that will have the medieval look. The map is getting such a thorough overhaul that it is almost like starting from scratch.

14. Jeay_PL

Positive Ratings:
    We think it's quite neat map for medieval mode. We enjoy minimalistic style of your map and it's too bad, that you are not going to develop it in medieval way anymore.

Add me on Steam, so I can ask you about some elements of your map privately.

15. Empyre

Empyre L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Seeing that somebody is interested in the version with the medieval look, I have decided to develop the two versions in parallel, with the medieval version retaining the name helix, and the new version called helix_tower. The next time I'm in steam, I'll add you, Jeay_PL.

16. HatingSociety

HatingSociety L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I do appreciate you linking me here and notifying me of what your doing, I'll probably check out the medieval server later.

As for my map, I don't think it's ready or will be ready for play testing anytime soon, Thanks for the offer though.

17. REEJ

Positive Ratings:
  18. The Asylum

aa The Asylum

Positive Ratings:
  19. killerps

killerps L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    anyone knows any new maps? ;D