ME2, anyone?

The Gentlemanne

L4: Comfortable Member
Jun 18, 2009

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
The thing that bothers me the most about ME2 is that there is only a skeleton of a storyline here. ME1 had a massive space epic, and everything builds on that up until Virmire, when the action rapidly rises and a sense of urgency is mounted.

ME2, on the other hand, feels like a collection of unrelated sidequests. Only a couple of missions actually relate to the main storyline, and all the loose ends and unexplained questions feels very shoddy. Those of you who have finished the game might have thought "WTF" at the last boss.

Jan 20, 2010
I'm just going to straight out say that Mass Effect 2 is one of the best games I've ever played. The graphics are gorgeous, the combat is flawless, the story is interesting, and the characters are insanely complicated. The thing I find funny reading the comments here is that the things you guys are complaining about (the lack of Mako, the consolidation of armor and skills, the new exploration system, regenerating health, ammo) is that most of these things I find an improvement over the first.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the first one but Mako was annoying as piss to drive and nine times out of ten the exploration was just some bullshit base with some dudes in it that I killed and walked away. And also, in case you didn't notice, in Mass Effect 2 there IS some exploration where you can find "anomalies" on the planets and go down and investigate them on foot.

The problem with Mass Effect 1 was the repetition. Everything was exactly the same. All the quests felt the same, all the choices were extremely uninteresting to me. But in Mass Effect 2 they did the incredible and made the game feel varied and never boring. None of the quests feel similar in anyway. The characters are interesting, much more so then ME1's. The combat felt more active and in your face. I loved the choices in the game and the renegade/paragon quick-time-events.

And besides that, the story WAS interesting to me. It had twists I did not expect and seems to be building up to something even better. I can't help but get this feeling that Mass Effect 3 will quite possibly be the most epic game we will ever see.

Say what you will at its faults, but this game was glorious. Finishing it only made me want more.

Yourself

L1: Registered
Jun 13, 2009
I've found there's also subtle parts of the story that are hinted at but never explicitly elaborated on and you only ever really hear about this particular bit of information from one mission that's actually part of the main story. It seems like a rather unimportant detail at the time you hear it, but if you go around and do all the exploration and sidequests it starts to become obvious that it might actually be important and I'm sure it's all foreshadowing the next game.

It had twists I did not expect and seems to be building up to something even better.

Agreed. Like the origin of the collectors, or the geth culture. It felt like a good middle part of the story. After all this is a trilogy, so I never really expected all the loose ends tied up in this game. I also liked some of the ambiguous choices you had to make. Neither choice was clearly paragon or renegade, so it makes you break from whatever trend you're following and actually think about what you're going to do.

As for the scanning, I actually like it. What makes it different about the planetary exploration is that scanning for anomalies is quite fast. The only thing that takes a while is getting materials for upgrades but, frankly, I don't feel like it's that terrible. I would have liked some sort of way of buying or selling the elements, though. I also seem to end up with a ridiculous amount of one element while I'm lacking in the one I need. This isn't nearly as much of a problem on the second play through, since it starts you with 50k of each.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
As for the scanning, I actually like it. What makes it different about the planetary exploration is that scanning for anomalies is quite fast. The only thing that takes a while is getting materials for upgrades but, frankly, I don't feel like it's that terrible. I would have liked some sort of way of buying or selling the elements, though. I also seem to end up with a ridiculous amount of one element while I'm lacking in the one I need. This isn't nearly as much of a problem on the second play through, since it starts you with 50k of each.

Get out.

It wasn't a bad mechanism, it just got really damn tedious. I built up a stock of either 10k or 100k of each (cant remember how many digits)
But then after a few upgrades I spent my entire time searching for one specific element, which at that very moment turned elusive.

They needed more ways to get the elements, finding stuff on missions was OK but the amounts sucked, getting stuff as rewards for doing stuff for people might be OK, perhaps where you help a trader and he gives you X amount of eezo but if you kill him, you get 2X amount. I'd go for that kind of thing. I was disappointed the mako was removed totally, they just needed to work on it's physics more and make it more like a tank than a hydraulic helium balloon. Mako missions, looting, quests and rewards as described above, all combined with planet scanning, would make searching for minerals perfect, because you're not tied to any one method.

Numerous

L4: Comfortable Member
Oct 14, 2009
What always bothered me was that things are never as simple as "goody-two-shoes" and "mr.badass", and in games the "morality" always turned out fable-esque. If saving an orphan will get me the same amount of money as kicking him off the bridge, then ultimately there's no moral conflict whatsoever. Not to mention it's pretty much a joke in games, there are usually more repercussions for things you didn't have a choice in than for things you did, that's what drives the story half the time.

You know, there's a quest in Fable that gives you more gold if you do the GOOD side than if you do the BAD. The fact is, that defeats the purpose unless you want to be completely sadistic, except that being sadistic seems to be a chore. Boring. Dull. Lame. Crap.

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
IMO the "problem" with the Mako is really just a problem where they made some planet surfaces which were basically jagged peaks everywhere and no clear "road" from A to B.

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
IDK im about 10 hours in and i really am starting to dislike the game.

i love the story, if this were a movie id watch it for sure.

combat is very repetitive, exploring planets is just WTF annoyingly tedious.
The teammate VS that teammate i dont notice to large a difference other then silly comments (which i like)

I don't notice gun upgrades, nor do i really notice anything done to upgrade your character..

The game looks amazing and the story is great but IMO gameplay has to fit in there somewhere to keep my attention.

Jan 20, 2010
IDK im about 10 hours in and i really am starting to dislike the game.

i love the story, if this were a movie id watch it for sure.

combat is very repetitive, exploring planets is just WTF annoyingly tedious.
The teammate VS that teammate i dont notice to large a difference other then silly comments (which i like)

I don't notice gun upgrades, nor do i really notice anything done to upgrade your character..

The game looks amazing and the story is great but IMO gameplay has to fit in there somewhere to keep my attention.

What difficulty are you playing on? Thumb-sucker is fairly repetitive as is "normal" mode. However, I played on Veteran and there was never a dull moment. I also noticed weapon and armor upgrades more.

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
What difficulty are you playing on? Thumb-sucker is fairly repetitive as is "normal" mode. However, I played on Veteran and there was never a dull moment. I also noticed weapon and armor upgrades more.

hmm perhaps thats the issue.. I've very good at FPS games however have never played ME1 so i figured id start off on normal to get used to it...

I'm bored out of my mind lol.

Jan 20, 2010
hmm perhaps thats the issue.. I've very good at FPS games however have never played ME1 so i figured id start off on normal to get used to it...

I'm bored out of my mind lol.

I'd highly suggest playing on veteran. Not only that, there's some incredibly boring classes too. Infiltrator and Vanguard are my favorites (invisibility and charging are the best thing ever.) Some of the other classes tend to get pretty repetitive but those two never ceased to entertain me (Charge -> SHOTGUN IN FACE -> evil laugh). Not that you could change it now that you're 10 hours in, but if you don't mind starting from the top it's well worth it.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Yeah DJ you're looking at it from the wrong angle. Its not an FPS at all, but looking at it differently wont help you enjoy it. It is about the characters and story though, the action is just the glue to hold it all together.