Mayflower Meadows

Discussion in 'Map Factory' started by tovilovan, Sep 28, 2009.

1. tovilovan

tovilovan L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Mayflower Meadows

cp_mayflower is a 5 point linear control point map designed by Toivo "tovilovan" Säwén. The map is/will be set in an alpine lumberyard/mining setting where teams start on top of hills and fight their way down into the valley. When designing the map I've looked a lot at my favourite 5-cp maps Yukon and Badlands, both for inspiration and for sizing. The map is pretty tight and should fit well for 12-24 player games. While the map is not particularly designed to fit competitive play it will probably be balanced enough to work as a competitive map. Clans interested in playing a practice clan war on this map can add me at steam: tovilovan. My clan is a European Div. 6 clan.

To win, either team must capture all control points before the timer runs out.

Current version: _a4

What I need feedback on:

- General game flow. Will the map lead to stalemate or to steamroll?
    - Signage. Where is the player directed? Is there any route that players use too much or too little?
    - Healthkit placement. Is there enough health/ammo on the map?
    - Visual style. This early in the development process I haven't detailed much, but ideas and input are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks to:

A Boojum Snark for his gametype library
    Ost for being awesome.
    TF2maps.net for helping me with everything.
    KURT! clan and the eXhale community for playtesting
    You for reading this, downloading the map, jizzing in your pants, and post your ideas/bugfixes/input here.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  2. Wacky Snoopy is

Wacky Snoopy is L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Proper screenshots would be nice, both with no weapons and hud in sight and from overhead.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. The_Ulf

The_Ulf L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Looks off to a good start!

Get in some playtestin'.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Swordz

Swordz L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Looks cool, submit it to a gameday

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Wacky Snoopy is

Wacky Snoopy is L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Yes it does look pretty good - would love to test it on gameday.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. tovilovan

Positive Ratings:
    I am considering that. Although I think gamedays generally only generate "omg this is awesome" and "dude you suck" comments, at least it's a way of showing off your map. And who knows, somebody might even like it ;D

7. The_Ulf

The_Ulf L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Nah - you get a lot of good feedback from people who go on to post in the thread or catch seems/prop lighting/exploits you wouldn't have thought of.

But the most important part is getting a copy of your gameday Demo so you can review how the map plays - beyond what people just sort of say. :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. tovilovan

Positive Ratings:
    I applied for gameday - let's hope it works out well and I haven't forgotten to enable doors and stuff like I usually do :p

9. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    Since you only had the 2 shots of middle i thought it was an arena map at first :s The setup/layout certainly suggests this (although i would be more keen to point out it needs to be more interesting if it was, but for a 5cp map it seems mostly suitable).

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Washipato

Washipato L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    I like the idea of using two hills for both team. I enjoy uphill battles.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Ost

Ost L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I actually played the map with tovilovan, pointing out a few things that I thought he should change. I'll post them here for reference and perhaps some feedback on the feedback :)

Force players to move over the second point on their way to the middle by moving the entrance to the large house to the right of the second cap.

Fix the sightline problem where players can shoot from their canyon at the middle cap into the other teams "cavewalk" exit at the second cap yard. Perferably do this by orienting both sides somewhat to the left (While facing them from the middle cap)

Reduce the number of medkits. Make the medkit underneath the middle point a medium one instead of a full.

Rework the canyon and second cap area; these are quite uniteresting at the moment (I have some ideas for this that are far to complex to be discussed here).

I'm really looking forward to this map! It looks awesome!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. tovilovan

Positive Ratings:
    Updated to version a3, enjoy. Hopefully this fixed some of the map's problems. Right now what I feel mosttroubled with (and where I'm the least inspired) is the area of the first cap. All suggestions and feedback is very welcome.

13. tovilovan

Positive Ratings:
    Updated with some images of what to expect from a4 (some detail on mid). Still having some trouble with the skybox, so a4 probably wont be up until next weekend. Also awaiting feedback from gameday tonight!

14. tovilovan

Positive Ratings:
    As I haven't got any feedback whatsoever from this forum other than "this map is not very good", I think I will quit working on this map, at least for now. I am really disappointed because most of my friends have told me the map is great and just needs a bit of tweaking, when I get here nobody seems helpful at all.

Updated to version a4, btw, probably the last version of this map.