Mass cooperation project- any interest?

T

The Asylum

Anyone here remember calculatedChaos?

Boy I sure do, those were truly the golden age days of Asylum mapping. One thing I loved doing was making all sorts of dumb maps for them, and playing every other dumb map in existence as well. Well, this April Foolsday my project blew up in my face and all I had to submit was the latest Pipeball Ultra build. Believe me, I wanted so much more. Unfortunately, I don't know if I'm ever going to have the time to do a wacky concept as well as not totally abandoning my other maps.

Then, it struck me. Bring back an idea from the old calculatedChaos days. Bring back CCDorm. Or CCHotel, for the real old timers like me. The idea was have a central hub, and mappers from the community would build their own rooms separately. The main mapper would then install each room into the hub, and voila! A new map is born!

So, that's the pitch. If I don't have time to make a really good map, why not outsource it? If I were to revive this ancient idea, would there be enough interest here on TF2M to get a decent sized hotel/dorm/whatever going?

SnickerPuffs

(*single chuckle*)
aa
Apr 10, 2014
I'd be down!

T

The Asylum

So I was able to get the last builds of cc hotel and cc dorm. cc hotel is almost 100 MB, and even the much smaller cc dorm is almost 70. So, if there is enough confirmed interest, I think I'll try to aim for around 85 MB. A 512 × 512 room for everyone should be plenty of space and not be a server breaker, I think.

Now, as for game mode. Uh, I dunno. Player Destruction?

Tiftid

the Embodiment of Scarlet Devil
aa
Sep 10, 2016
With VScript it would be fairly trivial to author any gamemode you can imagine. For instance, there's a TTT VScript thing floating around, although it's more like the massively dumbed down Hypixel version.

If you wanted to stick to a default gamemode, the most simple to build and fun one I can imagine would be KOTH, since all you have to do is use each room as a split spawn, place each room a certain distance (12 seconds) away from the point, and then keep each room separated into its own hallway up until it reaches the point.

I would also like to make a room.

T

The Asylum

Now that I've given it more than a few seconds of serious thought, maybe it should be something that either encourages or requires players to explore other people's rooms. I'm sure there's more than one way to do a hide and seek mode, but what if I did something new?

What I've got kicking around in my head right now is sort of a "room tag" if that makes sense. Players would enter a room, and do something or other that "tags" the room for their team. The objective would be for one team to win by having all the rooms tagged.

I dunno, it kind of does seem like it could go on forever though

T

The Asylum

Oooooooooo! Or a "Find the Jack" game where it's like pass time but the jack spawns in a random location each time. Would require disabling some hud elements though but I'm sure some vscript wizardry could manage it

T

The Asylum

Oooooo ooooo ooooooo! Or it could be like a PLR but the only way to make your cart move is by having the majority of the rooms tagged, and having a wider margin of rooms tagged would make your teams cart move faster!

So many ideas!

SnickerPuffs

(*single chuckle*)
aa
Apr 10, 2014
Have a smaller pool of collaborators (~8) so that you can use capture point entities. Both teams have their own timers, a la KOTH, which only tick down once they "capture" a room. For each room your team controls, your team's timer ticks down an additional second faster (owning 2 rooms makes your timer go down two seconds at a time, owning three rooms makes your timer go down three seconds at a time, so on and so forth). First team to have their clock reach zero wins.

Gamer_X

L1: Registered
Jun 28, 2016
Should probably have some sort of template for the room since it, presumably, has to have a door, a window, and exact dimensions.

T

The Asylum

Yeah I'll be making a standardized template and then people will be free to decorate it as they want.

One thing I might also do if filesize isn't going to end up too gigantic (I already know this is going to be a very big boy) is, in addition to rooms, have map-themed exhibit rooms for everyone who got a submission in that they can do as well. Maybe. We'll see how chonky the base idea will he first.