Maps that should be official

Dr. Sasha

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 5, 2013
I think we should each list one finished map, from any author, that should be added to TF2. You can't say one of your maps, sorry. And if the author is on this site, think of it as a way of complimenting each other.
Only one map per post, please

I'll go first, koth_highpass by Psy & Bloodhound.

Last edited:

SSX

aa
Feb 2, 2014
Too many maps.

puxorb

L69: Emoticon
aa
Dec 15, 2013
I agree. Sooo many maps. But if I had to pick, I have always loved cp_tidal by Heyo.

Another Bad Pun

In the shadows, he saw four eyes lit by fire
aa
Jan 15, 2011
Gameplay wise it hasn't aged very gracefully, but I think cp_haarp should have been added to the game around the time it was finished. (Nightfall won the contest and was made official instead.) The map still looks amazing today, and I can appreciate how the layout tried to accompany the a/d ctf gamemode. It's too bad that the map plays so chokey today. What's even more disappointing though is that volvo shot down the possibility of a/d ctf ever becoming an official gamemode. If sd can be a gamemode, or even rd, I'm not sure why this can't.

m@lle

L1: Registered
Apr 4, 2014
i would also say pl_escarpment.

Only Modification needed: Longer Way for Red to the 2nd Point. Or move it to the lower Spawnpoint (the Blu Spawnpoint), with Route Up to the Point.

Harribo

aa
Nov 1, 2009

UKCS-Alias

Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?
aa
Sep 8, 2008
And on that list i would highly disrecomend landfall. I have seen it kill servers quite often. It might look good but with the setting many servers have (insta respawn) it plays painfully since progress is hard to make as team.

To me i would go with haarp. It was the most popular map from the A/D CTF maps during the contest and although its a bit hard and probably unbalanced. It should still be possible to tweak the map to actualy work well by in some cases changing respawn times or locking down paths to prevent ninja caps.

Its simply a unique map, and even if it ends out to work bad like doomsday its still a map worthy to be added because it did something new. And even better, 3 stages... thats rare on its own.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
There's probably only 2 or 3 maps I would say "Yea, these should be official" and even then, I'm semi-unsure.

I talked about this over at facepunch sort of, but being a great map doesn't make you 'officialized' quality.

Buuuuttt none of these maps really do anything new. Zinkenite and Wildfire do at least have nice new aesthetics but they don't innovate on gameplay.

This and some popularity is what gets you up on that list, I think. I've been saying it for years. TF2M is too conservative, we need to start pushing boundaries.

Last edited:

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
As I said a few days ago, the next contest should be "Start a map and get it bought by Valve" The prize is fame and glory.