Maps for slow servers

GrimGriz

L10: Glamorous Member
Jan 2, 2009
I had thought this up as a good idea for a mapping contest the other day, and was reminded when I was poking around the tutorial threads and found the layout thread by Mangy.

In short, most good maps are big, and most of the maps we want to make are big, but there's a definite need for maps for few players...4-10 perhaps, that are FUN, and not just playable, for when you're trying to fill a server.

I think cp_dixie (the map mangy made for this tutorial is just about the right size for this sort of thing.

Maybe single flag ctf, or 1-2 point PL maps would work as well.

Thoughts?

BagOfChips

L5: Dapper Member
Feb 7, 2009
I'm making a smallish koth level :eek: only because my bigger map somehow got deleted and I was stupid enough to not make a back up for a few days.

I personally like small levels too :)

UKCS-Alias

Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?
aa
Sep 8, 2008
Well, i think this idea is actualy good for a contest. After all, we all know that there are a few tiny maps that people like. And the most known one is ctf_hallofdeath. The advantage is that these maps do fill the servers as they should and in some cases also work on larger playercounts.

And best of all. Many mappers (even noob ones) can make such maps. So i think it would work.

ikem

L6: Sharp Member
Dec 8, 2008
this would be cool!

GrimGriz

Jan 2, 2009
How are you going to do this?

Limit the filesize? No bigger than 30MB?

You can limit filesize by just limiting the custom whatnot you use...but the key principle would be surface area of the map so that when there are few players they don't have trouble finding combat.

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
I think file size is too hard of a limitation to meet. What if you compile and pakrat and are 1 MB over.

I think an actual gameplay area limit is best. Like 4 512 block of space type of thing, that may be too small but it's easy to measure. I think in TF2 though the hieght shouldn't be measured as we don't want to end up with alot of low ceiling no jump maps.

UKCS-Alias

aa
Sep 8, 2008
30mb usualy is fine for a small map and in fact hard to go over. On average a small map gets between 5-10mb. 30mb is way over that and so fine

TheDarkerSideofYourShadow

Apr 12, 2008
Well, I don't think you could have any such limits. It would be more of "on your honor" to make a small map, suited for < 10 players? Of course, have the contest gods (read: Youme) judge if the map meets the requirements or not.

Hell, I hope this is a contest. I'd like to really map again, but due to my classes (sigh, and wow) I don't have much time, so something like this would be great.

./me goes to pen out an idea....

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
I've found on our community's server that arena maps are a great way to start games that are 1v1 or 2v2 and up--mostly because it only takes two players to successfully achieve objectives. CP and Payload maps can be played...but they're normally too big and depending on the map, like dustbowl, one team has a completely unfair advantage over the other. Arena maps are fair and balanced, and we can completely fill the server in the period of about 30 min. Then we change to more popular maps to get the server going.

Edit: If you're going to limit size, you ought to limit the physical map's dimensions... such as no more than X by X...limits the size...

UKCS-Alias

aa
Sep 8, 2008
Well, there is no real reason to limit map sizes. Some maps can be quite large in size but still play well due to their objective. And for small maps the objective is more a side thing as you mainly want them to be in combat.

The most important things for a small map are (at least i think):
- Small filesize, no one wants to download a big map when joining a server that only has 2 more players. Also, for a small map the looks usualy dont matter. As respawn times have to be short so the defence wont fall away too fast people wont have time to look at the beauty of the map.
- from a 'small' map to a 'single stage of a medium sized' map, if maps are simply too large there isnt enough combat
- Chaos. Any small map should have the chaos factor when too many players are in it. If it doesnt have chaos on larger playercounts then maps generaly feel empty
- Easy to defend objectives. If they can win the objective easily by just killing a player once then the stronger team becomes overkill. The guideline is to have to kill about 2-4 players to be able to cap it in a 3vs3.
- Well tested gameplay. Any unbalance in a small map can have a major impact on which classes like the map. Still, tests on higher playercounts dont show how the map realy is. An example in my donut map is that scouts have the advantage to push the cart much faster. On higher playercounts this doesnt have any use because at least 3 are pushing it anyway.
- Short rounds. The rounds should be quite quick to play. Arena lenghts are quite short and so not good if the map isnt arena. Anything longer than 10 minutes even with time added many times isnt good also.