Mapping theory

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Randdalf, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Randdalf

aa Randdalf

Positive Ratings:
  2. Altaco

Altaco L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Sounds kind of interesting, but frankly I think it's a stupidly huge amount of effort to go through to quantify something that doesn't need to be and can't be quantified. Balance is a qualitative thing. It's best to just test something and see how it works.

3. Nineaxis

aa Nineaxis Quack Doctor

Positive Ratings:
    I'd have to agree, playtesting balances maps, not matrices.

4. Randdalf

aa Randdalf

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah... I thought most people would say that, but still, I haven't even tried it properly yet so you never know.

5. Snipergen

Snipergen L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'm sorry but I don't believe in this. Common sense, experience and playtesting is all you need.

6. Kookies!

Kookies! L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    It sounds fun. I don't think it would be used practically, but it's cool to see the numbers and SCIENCE.

Wouldn't mind seeing more...

7. Brandished

Brandished L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    I think it needs some more pictures to help convey the idea, sounds interesting though.

8. shdw.puppet

shdw.puppet L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    everything can be quantified with numbers and data, i dont think it is near complete enough, but it was an attempt at making the art of map making tie in with science. At its most basic form, map making is equal parts engineering, art and psychology. This article helped define the numbers behind the psychology and did not attempt to describe anything else.