Mapping Texture and Dressing Up The Map

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by FishyUberMuffin, May 19, 2017.

1. FishyUberMuffin

aa FishyUberMuffin The Uber Mapper

Positive Ratings:
    Is there any good tutorial to get me to be better at making my map look nice? I have the basic layout down, however, its just dev and wood texture so far with brick and Egypt. How do I make the map look nice? Do I have to get a degree in architecture? I am joking on the architecture degree. However, I can't just look at a valve map because there is so much to go into it I bet.

• Like Like x 1
  2. KubeKing

aa KubeKing Daniel's Same Base

Positive Ratings:
    Actually, that would be the best way to go about learning to detail. Open up a decompiled TF2 map you think looks pretty, disable some of the unnecessary Visgroups, and fly around the map, taking notes if you so choose.

Also, here's a fantastic guide about detail density.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Crowbar

aa Crowbar perfektoberfest

Positive Ratings:
    My thought is, why look around it decompiled if you can look around it in engine

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  4. KubeKing

aa KubeKing Daniel's Same Base

Positive Ratings:
    Looking at the map in-engine lets you poke and prod, to see how Valve has constructed geometry. It's the closest parallel to detailing your own map within Hammer.

Viewing Valve maps in-game is also crucial because it teaches the basics of proper lighting. I should have also recommended in-game viewing in my original post.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    Sure is a shame that Crafty stopped working and will never get fixed.

Tags: