Mapping Terminology/Jargon

Geuel

L1: Registered
Feb 28, 2008
Here is a list of mapping terms I've encountered that I either:
a) Don't know what they mean; please tell me what they mean
b) Know what they mean now and at one time didn't
c) Think I know what they mean, but am wrong; in which case, please let me know I'm wrong
=============
=============
Brush - An entity that has a shape
Areaportal
Clipping - Uhm...something about where players can/can't move in a map.
Cube Map
Edict - A small ferocious dog
Entity - Objects that make up your map
Grid - Uhm...the grid of x/y/z axis lines in Hammer. Small grids bad; Large grids good.
Hammer - That program with the grid you use to make maps.
Leak - If you can either "see" or "go" into the void of nothingness, then you have a leak.
Portal Flow - The flow of an Areaportal
Texture - "wall paper" for entities
Trigger - An entity that can make something else happen
WIP - work in progress
=============
=============
Original Post Below
---------------------------------------------------
Is there a list somewhere of mapping terms? I'm slowly getting used to it, but it would be nice if I didn't have to:

a) ask every single time there was a term I didn't understand
b) struggle through figuring it out based on different contexts and hoping I'm not incorrect when I think I've figured it out

It would just be nice to have a lexicon to reference.

Last edited:

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007

Geuel

Feb 28, 2008
Yes, I've checked out the Valve Wiki stuff, and it has lots of good information. I was kinda hoping for something like "list of entities" but for terms.

Here's an example. This thread, for instance

func_detail whole buildings?

...uses "func_detail" as a verb. I guess this means to make the entire building into a "func_detail."

The Wiki page gives a pretty good [technical] description, what is involved in the process of making a whole building into a func_detail? Yes, I could probably do some research into how to create a func_detail, but it would be nice if that information was compiled somewhere.

Actually...perhaps I should just compile a list of terms for myself, and maybe someone else would find it useful.

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
most the stuff listed in hammer under CRTL+T will be used in text as an action because the brush does not start off as anything listed in there. There for you have to make it so. an action.

if someone were to say " ya you should Func_detail that whole building" whats involved is selecting all the brushes that form the building and hitting CRTL+T. drop down to func_detail and hit apply.

and your done =)

Geuel

Feb 28, 2008
Maybe it would be more beneficial to make this on the dev community Wiki.

*sigh*

I think I'll take a nap for now. =p

Geuel

Feb 28, 2008
most the stuff listed in hammer under CRTL+T will be used in text as an action because the brush does not start off as anything listed in there. There for you have to make it so. an action.

if someone were to say " ya you should Func_detail that whole building" whats involved is selecting all the brushes that form the building and hitting CRTL+T. drop down to func_detail and hit apply.

and your done =)
Hmmm...the Wiki says that...

a func_detail does not block visibility

Does this mean that you can see through it? Why would you then want to func_detail a building, which I assume you would want to be able to see.

Or are func_detail type objects things that you can see close up, but not from far away?

Paria

L5: Dapper Member
Dec 12, 2007
the player can see func_details just fine in game, think of it as the game engine ignoring the shapes you have func_detailed, when it comes to the compiling step - as far as visibility is concenrned - .

for example if you have a rectangular doorway, you add a thin doorframe to make it look nicer, then because this thin brush wont exactly block much more visibility than the plain old rectangle you make it a func_detail instead.

Now when the map compiles and creates leafs it will just ignore the door frame.

Hope that helps explain it, and i hope i explained it right :)

Fyfey

L2: Junior Member
Jan 24, 2008
Sorry, I was trying to keep the title of the topic short when I put "func_detail a whole building".

When it says "blocks visibility", it means visibility of the visleaves. Not what the actual player can see. So if it's a func_detail, it won't create any more visleaves.

But in most circumstances it is good to use world brushes and create extra visleaves, as this can hide geometry and players from being rendered, thus improving performance. (I think that's vaguely right).