Mapping help (leaks!)

Virulus

L1: Registered
Aug 8, 2011
I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to fixing problems, so I'm hoping you will help me with this massive error I seemed to have made...

And, if possible, I'd like a fix or workarounds...this area has already been done 3 times, I don't want todo it again...

so, without further ado, here is the compile log:

Code:
-------------- Start Compile BSP ----------------
VBSP Started, Please Wait!

VBSP:  c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\jdog888\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vbsp.exe  -game  "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\jdog888\team fortress 2\tf" "C:\Users\Alick\Desktop\Source SDK\cp_carmap"

Valve Software - vbsp.exe (Jul  7 2010)
2 threads
materialPath: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\jdog888\team fortress 2\tf\materials
Loading C:\Users\Alick\Desktop\Source SDK\cp_carmap.vmf
ConVarRef mat_reduceparticles doesn't point to an existing ConVar
fixing up env_cubemap materials on brush sides...
ProcessBlock_Thread: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (0)
**** leaked ****
Entity item_healthkit_small (223.00 100.00 3.24) leaked!

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (4231.5 6144.0 -34.0)
Leaf 0 contents: CONTENTS_SOLID 
Leaf 1 contents: 
viscontents (node 0 contents ^ node 1 contents): CONTENTS_SOLID 
This means that none of the brushes in leaf 0 or 1 that touches the portal has CONTENTS_SOLID 
Check for a huge brush enclosing the coordinates above that has contents CONTENTS_SOLID 
Candidate brush IDs: 

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (4231.5 6144.0 366.0)
Leaf 1 contents: 
This means that none of the brushes in leaf 0 or 1 that touches the portal has CONTENTS_SOLID 
Check for a huge brush enclosing the coordinates above that has contents CONTENTS_SOLID 
Candidate brush IDs: 

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (4743.5 6144.0 26.0)
Leaf 1 contents: 
Candidate brush IDs: 

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (4096.0 6656.0 -177.0)
Leaf 1 contents: 
Candidate brush IDs: 

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (4096.0 6656.0 163.0)
Leaf 1 contents: 
Candidate brush IDs: 

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (4096.0 6656.0 366.0)
Leaf 1 contents: 
Candidate brush IDs: 

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (4608.0 7168.0 26.0)
Leaf 0 contents: 
Leaf 1 contents: CONTENTS_SOLID 
Candidate brush IDs: 

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (5120.0 6656.0 26.0)
Leaf 0 contents: 
Leaf 1 contents: CONTENTS_SOLID 
Candidate brush IDs: 

*** Suppressing further FindPortalSide errors.... ***
Processing areas...done (0)
Building Faces...done (0)
Chop Details...done (0)
Find Visible Detail Sides...
Merged 340 detail faces...done (1)
Merging details...done (0)
FixTjuncs...
PruneNodes...
WriteBSP...
done (0)
*** Error: Skybox vtf files for skybox/sky_upward_hdr weren't compiled with the same size texture and/or same flags!
Can't load skybox file skybox/sky_upward_hdr to build the default cubemap!
*** Error: Skybox vtf files for skybox/sky_upward_hdr weren't compiled with the same size texture and/or same flags!
Can't load skybox file skybox/sky_upward_hdr to build the default cubemap!
Finding displacement neighbors...
Finding lightmap sample positions...
Displacement Alpha : 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10
Building Physics collision data...
done (1) (295561 bytes)
Placing detail props : 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10
Compacting texture/material tables...
Reduced 1244 texinfos to 843
Reduced 15 texdatas to 13 (305 bytes to 261)
Writing C:\Users\Alick\Desktop\Source SDK\cp_carmap.bsp
2 seconds elapsed

Compile Complete for this module.
VBSP Completed: 25 August 2011,  16:52:20
VBSP: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10**** leaked ****

COMPILE STOPPED DUE TO FATAL ERROR!

yeeah...it's really long and looks bad.

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Flashkirby99

Aug 25, 2011
Yeah, Jacob made the map with lots of 1 unit thick walls everywhere. Your compiler is breaking because you probably deleted one of them, so turn off brush enitites and func_details in visgroups and check for map leaks. If you find one fill it in obviously...

RaVaGe

aa
Jun 23, 2010
When you say 'It hasn't loaded one', you got an window for load a .lin file, or nothing happened ?

If nothing happened, you got a red line in the map who show the position of the leak.

Virulus

Aug 8, 2011
It took me to the file browser to look for a portal file but there wasn't one there...

RaVaGe

aa
Jun 23, 2010
Ok so why are you speaking of a portal file ?

Then try to get to the position of the healtkit who is the most close entity of the leak.

View -> Go to Coordinates 223.00 100.00 3.24

Oct 6, 2008
Go to those co-ordinates - find the object identified - go to your top view window - then go to you vis panel right hand side - start turning things off starting at the bottom of the list .i.e Turn off func_details, props, etc. lastly displacements - you should have solid walls or nodraw walls left.

Check the area around the location for obvious leaks (even if 1 unit wide) by clicking each of your brushes - do they all connect to each other? If nothing clearly seen and everything touches you may have a bad brush.

You can then use the big box method - a big box over 1/4 of your map - top/bottom and then move the box around after evert compile (you don't need to run vis or rad - just the bsp) this will help you find any bad brushes or help you too. Don't worry about error messages you get in the compile - you're just looking to see if the leak co-ordinates stop. If they do stop and they are in the area of your original leak - check the brushes around the leak - delete 1 compile if error stops you found the bad brush - you then remake it. if the error continues - ctrl+z to put back the item you just deleted.

Sadly - no easy fixes for bad brushes you have to hunt for them.

RaVaGe

aa
Jun 23, 2010
You can then use the big box method - a big box over 1/4 of your map - top/bottom and then move the box around after evert compile (you don't need to run vis or rad - just the bsp) this will help you find any bad brushes or help you too. Don't worry about error messages you get in the compile - you're just looking to see if the leak co-ordinates stop. If they do stop and they are in the area of your original leak - check the brushes around the leak - delete 1 compile if error stops you found the bad brush - you then remake it. if the error continues - ctrl+z to put back the item you just deleted.

:cordonedit:

You can use the cordon tool for that ;)

Sadly - no easy fixes for bad brushes you have to hunt for them.

An alt+p will list all the bad brush contains in the map.

Oct 6, 2008
:cordonedit:

You can use the cordon tool for that ;)

An alt+p will list all the bad brush contains in the map.

OMG - why do I learn all these good tips AFTER I make the my map - LOL.

I never knew you could use alt+p to find bad brushes too!

Thanks!