Mapping help (leaks!)

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Virulus, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Virulus

Virulus L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to fixing problems, so I'm hoping you will help me with this massive error I seemed to have made...

And, if possible, I'd like a fix or workarounds...this area has already been done 3 times, I don't want todo it again...

so, without further ado, here is the compile log:

Code:
    -------------- Start Compile BSP ----------------
    VBSP Started, Please Wait!

VBSP:  c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\jdog888\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vbsp.exe  -game  "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\jdog888\team fortress 2\tf" "C:\Users\Alick\Desktop\Source SDK\cp_carmap"

Valve Software - vbsp.exe (Jul  7 2010)
    2 threads
    materialPath: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\jdog888\team fortress 2\tf\materials
    Loading C:\Users\Alick\Desktop\Source SDK\cp_carmap.vmf
    ConVarRef mat_reduceparticles doesn't point to an existing ConVar
    fixing up env_cubemap materials on brush sides...
    ProcessBlock_Thread: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (0)
    **** leaked ****
    Entity item_healthkit_small (223.00 100.00 3.24) leaked!

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (4231.5 6144.0 -34.0)
    Leaf 0 contents: CONTENTS_SOLID 
    Leaf 1 contents: 
    viscontents (node 0 contents ^ node 1 contents): CONTENTS_SOLID 
    This means that none of the brushes in leaf 0 or 1 that touches the portal has CONTENTS_SOLID 
    Check for a huge brush enclosing the coordinates above that has contents CONTENTS_SOLID 
    Candidate brush IDs: 

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (4231.5 6144.0 366.0)
    Leaf 1 contents: 
    This means that none of the brushes in leaf 0 or 1 that touches the portal has CONTENTS_SOLID 
    Check for a huge brush enclosing the coordinates above that has contents CONTENTS_SOLID 
    Candidate brush IDs: 

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (4743.5 6144.0 26.0)
    Leaf 1 contents: 
    Candidate brush IDs: 

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (4096.0 6656.0 -177.0)
    Leaf 1 contents: 
    Candidate brush IDs: 

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (4096.0 6656.0 163.0)
    Leaf 1 contents: 
    Candidate brush IDs: 

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (4096.0 6656.0 366.0)
    Leaf 1 contents: 
    Candidate brush IDs: 

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (4608.0 7168.0 26.0)
    Leaf 0 contents: 
    Leaf 1 contents: CONTENTS_SOLID 
    Candidate brush IDs: 

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (5120.0 6656.0 26.0)
    Leaf 0 contents: 
    Leaf 1 contents: CONTENTS_SOLID 
    Candidate brush IDs: 

*** Suppressing further FindPortalSide errors.... ***
    Processing areas...done (0)
    Building Faces...done (0)
    Chop Details...done (0)
    Find Visible Detail Sides...
    Merged 340 detail faces...done (1)
    Merging details...done (0)
    FixTjuncs...
    PruneNodes...
    WriteBSP...
    done (0)
    *** Error: Skybox vtf files for skybox/sky_upward_hdr weren't compiled with the same size texture and/or same flags!
    Can't load skybox file skybox/sky_upward_hdr to build the default cubemap!
    *** Error: Skybox vtf files for skybox/sky_upward_hdr weren't compiled with the same size texture and/or same flags!
    Can't load skybox file skybox/sky_upward_hdr to build the default cubemap!
    Finding displacement neighbors...
    Finding lightmap sample positions...
    Displacement Alpha : 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10
    Building Physics collision data...
    done (1) (295561 bytes)
    Placing detail props : 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10
    Compacting texture/material tables...
    Reduced 1244 texinfos to 843
    Reduced 15 texdatas to 13 (305 bytes to 261)
    Writing C:\Users\Alick\Desktop\Source SDK\cp_carmap.bsp
    2 seconds elapsed

Compile Complete for this module.
    VBSP Completed: 25 August 2011,  16:52:20
    VBSP: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10**** leaked ****

COMPILE STOPPED DUE TO FATAL ERROR!
    yeeah...it's really long and looks bad.

Thanks in advance for your help :)

2. RaVaGe

aa RaVaGe

Positive Ratings:
    map > loadpointfile

3. Virulus

Positive Ratings:
    It hasn't loaded one...

4. Flashkirby99

Flashkirby99 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, Jacob made the map with lots of 1 unit thick walls everywhere. Your compiler is breaking because you probably deleted one of them, so turn off brush enitites and func_details in visgroups and check for map leaks. If you find one fill it in obviously...

5. RaVaGe

aa RaVaGe

Positive Ratings:
    When you say 'It hasn't loaded one', you got an window for load a .lin file, or nothing happened ?

If nothing happened, you got a red line in the map who show the position of the leak.

6. Virulus

Positive Ratings:
    It took me to the file browser to look for a portal file but there wasn't one there...

7. RaVaGe

aa RaVaGe

Positive Ratings:
    map > Load Pointfile

8. Virulus

Positive Ratings:
    as I have said, it took me to the file browser, It just won't load

9. RaVaGe

aa RaVaGe

Positive Ratings:
    Ok so why are you speaking of a portal file ?

Then try to get to the position of the healtkit who is the most close entity of the leak.

View -> Go to Coordinates 223.00 100.00 3.24

10. Kill_the_Bug

aa Kill_the_Bug

Positive Ratings:
    Go to those co-ordinates - find the object identified - go to your top view window - then go to you vis panel right hand side - start turning things off starting at the bottom of the list .i.e Turn off func_details, props, etc. lastly displacements - you should have solid walls or nodraw walls left.

Check the area around the location for obvious leaks (even if 1 unit wide) by clicking each of your brushes - do they all connect to each other? If nothing clearly seen and everything touches you may have a bad brush.

You can then use the big box method - a big box over 1/4 of your map - top/bottom and then move the box around after evert compile (you don't need to run vis or rad - just the bsp) this will help you find any bad brushes or help you too. Don't worry about error messages you get in the compile - you're just looking to see if the leak co-ordinates stop. If they do stop and they are in the area of your original leak - check the brushes around the leak - delete 1 compile if error stops you found the bad brush - you then remake it. if the error continues - ctrl+z to put back the item you just deleted.

Sadly - no easy fixes for bad brushes you have to hunt for them.

11. RaVaGe

aa RaVaGe

Positive Ratings:
    :cordonedit:

You can use the cordon tool for that ;)

An alt+p will list all the bad brush contains in the map.

12. Kill_the_Bug

aa Kill_the_Bug

Positive Ratings:
    OMG - why do I learn all these good tips AFTER I make the my map - LOL.

I never knew you could use alt+p to find bad brushes too!

Thanks!