mapping faster/premade buildings

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by face-melter, Oct 27, 2009.

1. face-melter

face-melter L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    so i was going to make a map with a sawmill type theme and i was all like alright time to start and than i got part of the way in and was like,damn making a building every single time is annoying, so i wanna know if there is a premade for the buildings used in sawmill or any other map i can reskin.(no A hallowed out building that you go in but one you just see and run on top of)

2. martijntje

martijntje L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    well, you could copy a building from sawmill. you can download the vmf here
    [ame="http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=5952"]Valve Maps(Decompiled) 8/20/2009 - TF2Maps.net[/ame]

But a collection of premade buildings would be nice, but doesnt exist as far as I know.

3. face-melter

Positive Ratings:
    damnit! somone get on that.... and thanx

4. jpr

aa jpr

Positive Ratings:
    It sounds to me like you have a huge open area that you just want to fill with random buildings... If you actually have planned the layout, and still want random premade buildings, then you might want to consider quitting mapping.

• Thanks Thanks x 8
  5. face-melter

Positive Ratings:
    wait...what? no that's not what i am saying at all.
    see i am making an arena map and i was making the buildings and i wanted to use one that looked real close to the one used in sawmill and instead of building it 2 times i was just going to copy it.
    it's not i need to fill space i just wanted the building models to use.

6. Blue552

Blue552 L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Troll.

For newer SDK users making buildings can be time consuming and the longer you spend on a project without doing anything new, the faster you lose interest. So I can understand where he is coming from.

He just wants a few stock buildings that look good and are themed that he can easily gut and shape to fit his map.

Ironically I have trouble making unique buildings so for practice I just make random structures that arnt really part of a map, might start making a 'pack'.

7. Terr

aa Terr Cranky Coder

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, mirroring can be a pain.

I'd suggest this: Make it once, but ensure all of the brushes are grouped into a named VisGroup like "Red Barn".

Later, you can select all the brushes/lights/etc. in the visgroup, copy them, and use paste special to rotate them as a group and stick them somewhere. Then just change their group to "Blue Barn"...

8. Tapp

Tapp L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    It's really not worth using building prefabs. As well as looking terrible, being unimaginative and just plain cheap, they rarely fit what you need. But if you want the actual sawmill building itself, just nick that from the decompiled sawmill.

9. Freyja

aa Freyja ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Positive Ratings:
    There's some building prefabs at FPSbanana.

10. face-melter

Positive Ratings:
    K thanx a bunch, i got a ton done and the advice about just making buildings on off time and grouping/then using them later is great....IDK why these things dont just come to me! =P

11. Mexican Apple Thief

Mexican Apple Thief L3: Junior Member<br>LEAD FARMER

Positive Ratings:
    Somebody doesn't know what a troll is.

The point is he probably shouldn't even be detailing at this point if he's missing entire buildings. Buildings are easy, all you need at first is a bunch of blocks. Making those blocks look pretty comes later. And pretty much we can safely assume from experience that directly lifting entire structures won't end up well.

• Thanks Thanks x 1