***Mapping contest 05 - Payload map***

Discussion in 'Contest #5: Payload map' started by YM, Sep 18, 2008.

1. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    Ok bigger contest this time, a full map.

Rules:
    • Map must be a single stage pl_ map (like pl_badwater) you may use any number of control points (1-4)
    • The cart may be any sensible cart sized model, the official bomb, snipergen's dirty bomb, the mining cars, the little alpine train thing, etc.
    • The map must follow standard payload conventions, no split routes or other gametype mixes.
    • Must be able to spawn 32 players (16 per team spawnroom)
    • Map must include these decals/overlays(or suitable others with "TF2maps.net" clearly on them) at least twice (1 blue, 1 red) in your map. They must also be easily visible.
    • Map must follow conventions laid out by valve (blue attacking red, safe respawn rooms, no ladders or other gimmicks)
    • Map must be finished and uploaded by January 1st (2009) and submitted to the upload thread which I'll sort closer to finishing.

Voting will be split, a public vote and a moderator vote, then using Mangy's mathematical prowess the votes will be combined and a winner will be revealed.

The inspiration for this contest is of course the not-so-wonderful badwater basin, I'm sure we can all do a better job than valve, don't you?
    [​IMG]

Prizes: (from the valve store)
    • TF2 poster bundle
      or
    • TF2 themed Tee

Good luck and have fun! :thumbup1:

(for those wondering about the fact this is a big contest, we're probably going to run smaller ones in tandem)
    The prizes are made possible by gracious donating members along with cash DrPepper throws in.
    Consider donating a few dollars and give your wallet a well deserved break. :p

Edit (03/12/08): Contest extended until 00:00 (GMT) on the 15th January 2009, thats an extra 14 days to cram pack your map full of awesomeness

• Thanks Thanks x 8
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  2. ChickenHunter

ChickenHunter L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    so no cow bombs? :p

3. drp

aa drp

Positive Ratings:
    prizes this time!

your choice between a poster bundle, and or a tf2 themed shirt from the valve store!

[​IMG]

or

[​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  4. DJive

aa DJive Cake or Death?

Positive Ratings:
    awesome. What is the run time on this?

5. Jazz

Jazz L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    You just gave me a great idea.

6. Snipergen

Snipergen L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    Sweet. I shall enter I think. I really want a TF2 tshirt. And I can finish 1 stage :p

pl_bedwater

7. Sgt Frag

Sgt Frag L14: Epic Member

Positive Ratings:
    Hell Yeah, those are some prizes. The Pyro shirt is sweet but the roasted turkey might make the poster better.

Too bad the shirt doesn't have a roasted turkey on one side. Maybe I'll propose that to Valve :)

Sounds like a cool comp. Maybe the top 3 could be released as a map (obviously it might be weird if one is alpine and 2 are desert, but if there are three top notch stages I don't think it would matter).

8. MangyCarface

aa MangyCarface Mapper

Positive Ratings:
    • Thanks Thanks x 5
  9. Inqwel

Inqwel L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    I did a double take because I read that as "pl_bedwetter". .___.

10. Meta

Meta L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I would join this but the idea I had for a payload map wouldn't work thanks to rule #3 :(

11. TimmerTheTank

TimmerTheTank L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    oh im so in for this one

12. TheDarkerSideofYourShadow

TheDarkerSideofYourShadow L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    Hmm, we'll see. I'd hate to put my projects on hold, but those posters do look mighty fine :-D

13. ChronoTriggerFan

ChronoTriggerFan L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    You can make 2 maps at once... theres no law against it, is there?

I usually don't see too many custom maps with outside and significant inside areas. I might play around with this setting with my entry. Probably going to replace inside buildings with mines, but what's the difference :p

14. Altaco

Altaco L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Awesome, just as I'm starting on my new, one stage payload map. Excellent timing.

15. Tigger

Tigger L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Are contest entries going to be able to request time on the playtest server before the deadline and before submitting?

16. cornontheCoD

cornontheCoD L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    probably not the the best place to ask, but any hints/ideas as to what the other smaller competitions are? I like the creativity with the more recent ones, and I've never participated in one before. I will probably try my hand at a smaller one.

17. FaTony

FaTony Banned

Positive Ratings:
    Important: Mining/industrial?

18. Nineaxis

aa Nineaxis Quack Doctor

Positive Ratings:
    "Map must follow conventions laid out by valve (... no gimmicks)"

Mining/Industrial is TF2.

19. LLamaBoy

LLamaBoy L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Hmm, what a huge bit of luck. This is exactly what my current project is about, so it seems I have a small head start :p

Not sure I'll manage to finish it by the end of the year, but I'll give it a damn good try now!

20. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    pl_goodwater

i should be able to do this now avante is in it's finishing stages.