Mapping and Me

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
I've been letting 2street go ages between updates because (A) I often find myself with not a lot of ideas where to go next and (B) I hate to impose by making people test any version more than once, especially since everyone resents having to play CTF maps. So I guess I have the opposite problem.

But yeah, at the very least, if you're testing your own maps for bugs, definitely wait until after you've done that and then fixed any bugs you find before you release what you have.

Kreg

L2: Junior Member
Jun 27, 2016
If I don't Focus on people then I would not have the map become better. I don't want to block out people. I need to focus on people so the map will become better.

There is a difference between not blocking out the information people try to convey to you, and trying to be right all the time.

My personal impression has been that you tend to try to retain the position of being "right" instead of improving.
(I'd be lying if I said that's not an issue I struggle with as well)

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
There is a difference between not blocking out the information people try to convey to you, and trying to be right all the time.

My personal impression has been that you tend to try to retain the position of being "right" instead of improving.
(I'd be lying if I said that's not an issue I struggle with as well)
I know i am not right all the time, I just dont like how some people act, sometimes they act likes dicks. Sometimes they dont.

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
I've been letting 2street go ages between updates because (A) I often find myself with not a lot of ideas where to go next and (B) I hate to impose by making people test any version more than once, especially since everyone resents having to play CTF maps. So I guess I have the opposite problem.

But yeah, at the very least, if you're testing your own maps for bugs, definitely wait until after you've done that and then fixed any bugs you find before you release what you have.
I due test out my maps before relaeseing but sometimes they get passed and I have to fix the update after that.

Pocket

aa
Nov 14, 2009
Then who's finding the bugs? To my knowledge, your maps aren't getting tested on our server on a daily basis.

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
Then who's finding the bugs? To my knowledge, your maps aren't getting tested on our server on a daily basis.
I do. I find most of the bugs.

Pocket

aa
Nov 14, 2009
So you test them, post them, and then test them again?

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
So you test them, post them, and then test them again?
I test them first during the update process and after I shoot the update out. I go play on the map with bots and then if there any ground breaking bugs I send another update out.

Pocket

aa
Nov 14, 2009
See, you should do all the testing you intend to do on a version before releasing. And then hold off doing any more updates until you get at least some feedback from a public test or two.

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
See, you should do all the testing you intend to do on a version before releasing. And then hold off doing any more updates until you get at least some feedback from a public test or two.
Well sometimes it takes long to wait for my map to get tested so I just do the update anyways. I think it's better to do an update then not to at all because within the update you can make the map better then before.

Kreg

Jun 27, 2016
I due test out my maps before relaeseing but sometimes they get passed and I have to fix the update after that.
The current issue I've found that people have with your maps is that they feel your maps have too many issues to be playable.

I think that you need to spend time to re-evaluate your process of deciding whether or not your maps are a state where players can sit down and play on your map for at least the time given for an imp session. Currently you are updating your maps too frequently. Not to say the updates aren't large enough, rather that it seems a lot of the things you are fixing should have been done before release.

Take a look at some maps in the early stages of production that are being made by more experienced members and compare them to your maps. Look at things like scaling, layout, and gameplay mechanics. I'd say those are the three things your maps are struggling with the most currently.

edit:

I just dont like how some people act, sometimes they act likes dicks. Sometimes they dont.

You say that a lot, but I feel that when you feel that is people's intention, your counter-measure is a form of trying not to be wrong. (that may be a fair response)
Often times you seem to just be misunderstanding people's intentions. Some of us have also been trying to get you to move on from what other people's rude actions are. Something I think you're already aware of and trying to make progress on.

Last edited:

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
The current issue I've found that people have with your maps is that they feel your maps have too many issues to be playable.

I think that you need to spend time to re-evaluate your process of deciding whether or not your maps are a state where players can sit down and play on your map for at least the time given for an imp session. Currently you are updating your maps too frequently. Not to say the updates aren't large enough, rather that it seems a lot of the things you are fixing should have been done before release.

Take a look at some maps in the early stages of production that are being made by more experienced members and compare them to your maps. Look at things like scaling, layout, and gameplay mechanics. I'd say those are the three things your maps are struggling with the most currently.

edit:

You say that a lot, but I feel that you when you feel that way your counter-measure is a form of trying not to be wrong.

My map is in a playable state. They work. Spawns are not broken, you can't get out of the map, the logic works. Each update are important on their own. I will not push out an update that just updates textures or fixes small holes in the floors ( holes small enough that players can't go threw )
Yeah of course the expert mappers early version of maps will be better then mine. They have more experience. Also I do thing different because it fits me.

Kreg

Jun 27, 2016
My map is in a playable state. They work. Spawns are not broken, you can't get out of the map, the logic works.

Well, your maps may have some functioning things, but your maps sometimes haven't been what you said and have included other issues. Such as holes in your maps, confusing layouts, and just a lot of improperly scaled pieces of geometry. You have enough of those factors that players and myself think your maps aren't in a playable state.

I dunno much what to say honestly. It really does come down to trial and error, but your maps need a lot more work and it seems you're allowing errors to exist that you are capable of resolving without the input of others.

fyi: i edited this quite a bit from my original post. my apologies, I'll try to avoid that next time.

Last edited:

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
Well, your maps may load, may have working objectives, have functioning logic, and include other functioning things, but your maps tend to lack flow of gameplay. Such as improperly sized doors, confusing layouts, and just a lot of improperly scaled pieces of geometry. You have enough of those factors that players and myself think your maps aren't in a playable state.

I dunno much what to say honestly. It really does come down to trial and error, but your maps need a lot more work and it seems you're allowing errors to exist that you are capable of resolving already.
It's not confusing. If you walk out of the single door out of spawn you can go either right or left same as if you would have gone threw the two spawn door. Then you walk straight and then you reach into the mid. You can walk right up on the point by the train or use the ramps. There are props to shutdown snipers. I don't see how that is confusing. This map is easier to walk then viaduct. The doors are the right size. There was a scaling form and I followed what the right hight and length is. The space is base off of A and B of gravil pit.

Kreg

Jun 27, 2016
It's not confusing. If you walk out of the single door out of spawn you can go either right or left same as if you would have gone threw the two spawn door. Then you walk straight and then you reach into the mid. You can walk right up on the point by the train or use the ramps. There are props to shutdown snipers. I don't see how that is confusing. This map is easier to walk then viaduct. The doors are the right size. There was a scaling form and I followed what the right hight and length is. The space is base off of A and B of gravil pit.

That may be how you feel about the map, but when the map loaded on the imp we immediately skipped it because of the issues I said. The map is confusing to players. It may make sense to you, but it's not important whether you understand it. It's important that you make it easy for players to understand your map.

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
That may be how you feel about the map, but when the map loaded on the imp we immediately skipped it because of the issues I said. The map is confusing to players. It may make sense to you, but it's not important whether you understand it. It's important that you make it easy for players to understand your map.
Do you want me to have arrows everywhere to hand guide around the map? It's a small map. It is not confusing.

Kreg

Jun 27, 2016
Do you want me to have arrows everywhere to hand guide around the map? It's a small map. It is not confusing.

I really don't know what would fix you map, but I do know that if you keep arguing that it's not confusing it's going to be much harder to improve your map.
I'm simply stating my opinion that seems to be shared with the people who have played your most recent map.

The map is confusing to players. It may make sense to you, but it's not important whether you understand it. It's important that you make it easy for players to understand your map.

edit: You also need to realize that just adding something and saying it's meant for a purpose (i.e. you said you added sniper barricades) doesn't mean it fulfills its purpose.

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
I really don't know what would fix you map, but I do know that if you keep arguing that it's not confusing it's going to be much harder to improve your map.
I'm simply stating my opinion that seems to be shared with the people who have played your most recent map.
Which version of the map did you play?

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
To my understanding, the last version played on an imp.
The lastest version of the map is V1A1. Did you play that version?