Mappers vs Machines Gameday - Everyday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
Not to be rude or anything, but why is there a map that is constantly being preferred to be tested?

Which map is that? I see a large variety of maps played over the last few days http://73.233.15.145/Server/SourceTV/

I feel you're talking about my map, Teien, because you're not the first one. In general, people who take the initiative to seek out tests and people to test with will get their map tested more than someone just signing up to gameday.
I talk to hydrogen daily, I ask him to test my map every time I put out a new version, and I work on that new version as soon as the test ends. I ask the chatroom every day to come test my (and other) maps too.

That's not something only I have the privilege of doing. The server is public and there are many admins of it.

Last edited:

Benoist3012

L3: Member
Dec 25, 2015
Not to be rude or anything, but why is there a map that is constantly being preferred to be tested?
I hope you realize what you said, if that's true, we wouldn't be running a contest right now.
Are you implying we are rejecting maps from being tested, and instead test a specific one? It's like destroying the purpose of that contest.
That's not our fault that we don't get many test requests, and @Freyja has the right to submit her map in every gameday tests, and as far I know we haven't rejected maps because we had too much to test.

See it like this:
The exemple might be a bit odd, but that's pretty much it.

Weekend #1
"We are running game tests! We take 10 maps, who's in?"
"Me! Me! Me!"
@Freyja "Me!"
Weekend #2
"Me! Me!"
@Freyja "Me!"
Weekend #3
@Freyja "Me!"

Moral: Freyja takes every chances to get her map tested. And thus people think we reject other maps...

Ps: Also here a piece of advice, if what you said "is true", come with solid evidences next time.

Last edited:

Hydrogen

MvM Maniac
Apr 5, 2017
We'll do a better job with cycling around the maps tomorrow and Sunday (during the gameday time mentioned on the OP).

If you're available at those hours make sure to stop by!'

EDIT: Want to add a couple of things:

1. Feel free to nag us on the MvM server steam group chat if you are free and want to run your map (if we didn't do so already). Depending on the difficulty of the mission and availability of people, we can probably run a test immediately after you ask. The server group chat is rather empty and I sit in it all the time.

2. When mentioning times, it helps to attach a time zone to it. "Morning" or "5 PM" has no meaning to me, since 5 PM on Europe is different from 5 PM in East Coast which is way different from 5 PM in Australia. If you don't specify the time zone we'll assume it's Eastern time (ET).

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2015

Necrσ

aa
Nov 16, 2015
Last edited:

Hydrogen

MvM Maniac
Apr 5, 2017
From now on (and I also did this for the past few posts) I'll rate "agree" on your post if we have tested your map recently. I think that's a better way of conveying to everyone that your map was tested. You can go find the demo file and feedback data on the server for your map.

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017

Fillmore

L5: Dapper Member
Jul 20, 2014
Map name: mvm_affinity_a3
Map Download Link: https://tf2maps.net/downloads/affinity.4069/
Steam Profile: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tkcnecropsy
Mission to be tested: mvm_affinity_a3.pop
Notes: Looking for lots of feedback on mission since im still getting a feel for how it all works. Also feedback on scale/size of map and other general map feedback

Running this map gives me the following errors on the console:
Dead end link: boss_path_17
The nav mesh needs a full nav_analyze
TFBotSpawner: need to specify ItemName in ItemAttributes.
TFBotSpawner: need to specify ItemName in ItemAttributes.

A bit of silly goofs, the Tank error doesn't really affect anything and that ItemName thing explains itself on the error well enough that I don't need to say anything about it.
The nav mesh needing a full nav_analyze, however, is a whole different story.
You've messed with the mesh at some point (deleted some of it, used nav_split or nav_merge in there) and that clears the visibility data inbued in the mesh. In simpler terms: Mess with the mesh and the bots all go effectively blind, only firing at enemies at are practically in their face or in really bright/open areas. Or they start acting like they're drunk.

If you mess with the mesh, use nav_analyze so you don't have drunk bots when playtests are a thing (it kinda fucks up the test if bots are drunk)

Jul 26, 2015

Hydrogen

MvM Maniac
Apr 5, 2017
As some of you may have noticed, the whole "Every Weekend" thing went out the window and has become Every Day instead (including weekdays).

There are 2 (sometimes 3) gamedays that run on any given day:
  • The morning shift @ 9 AM ET (morning USA, afternoon EU, nighttime AU) - preference is given to EU mappers
  • The afternoon shift @ 3 PM ET (afternoon USA, nighttime EU) - this is only a thing if we fall behind in map testing
  • The night shift @ 10 PM ET (nighttime USA, morning AU) - preference is given to USA/AU mappers
All given times are accurate to within +/- 30 minutes.

We'll still continue the same rules for submitting maps for testing. I do my best to check the MvM section daily and internally add maps to the list of maps to run. As always, check the Source TV website to see if your map has been played recently.

We try to cover 2 maps per gameday, although depending on day-to-day circumstances this number can easily be between 0-3 (i.e. some days we won't run any MvM, on others we may cram 3 maps in a single sitting).

In all gamedays (except for the night shift), we ask the TF2Maps group chat for people to join us for testing and decide on the agenda of maps to test (e.g. mappers who join us for the gamedays will be given highest priority on the maps to be tested for that gameday - we will almost-always test the map of a mapper who is in the server).

If you don't want to miss out on the gamedays or want your map to be tested ASAP (many people had their maps tested within 24 hours of pushing a new update), join the group chat (either the TF2Maps one or the MvM server one) around those posted times and wait for a game to be announced. As we are now halfway to the deadline, take advantage of the frequent gamedays to get feedback for your map.

Asd417

Sample Text
aa
Mar 20, 2016
Status
Not open for further replies.