Mappers vs Machines Gameday - Everyday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hydrogen

MvM Maniac
Apr 5, 2017
84DF7D07FA5B2DA02F824DBE312CD2696C938F53

Thanks to SedimentarySocks for the SFM poster!

Purpose:
This is a formal way for all of us to get together and play all the Mappers vs Machines contest WIP MvM maps and missions. The objective of these games is to give all participating map makers constructive and helpful feedback so they can continue to make progress with their contest submission (both their maps and their waves).

Where:
Potato's MvM Servers

Server Location:
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Server ping by region:
  • 20-120 ms for USA
  • 120-200 ms for EU
  • 250-350 ms for AU
Gameday Hosts / Server Admins:
When:
  • Every single day leading up to the contest deadline (and likely during the judging phase too).
  • The morning shift starts at 9 AM ET and ends at around 11 AM ET. Preference is given to EU/AU mappers here.
  • The afternoon shift starts at 3 PM ET and ends whenever. Preference is given to US/EU mappers here. This gameday normally doesn't run unless we are severely behind in testing.
  • The night shift starts at 10 PM ET and ends whenever (usually 1 AM ET). Preference is given to US/AU mappers here.
  • If there are no maps on the testing queue then the gameday session will be skipped until the testing queue fills up again.
  • All times are to +/- 30 minutes accuracy. (e.g. morning shift can start anytime between 8:30 and 9:30 AM ET, etc)
Maps List:
WIP contest maps posted here. We do have a priority testing system in place that roughly (not strictly) follows this order:
  1. Mappers that join the gameday will have the highest priority in having their map tested.
  2. Maps posted in this thread will be considered second in priority.
  3. Maps posted here will be added to the queue even if they are not mentioned in the steam group chatrooms or in this thread. I will check this page every now and then and update the queue when maps are updated.
Please do NOT use the TF2Maps chat bot (VBot) for MvM maps since it is reserved for the usual TF2Maps Imps and gameday operations.

Submission Rules:
  • Your map must be versioned (e.g. mvm_mapname_a4). You may not submit a map of the same file name again to the server. Your map also must begin with the mvm_ prefix or else the server will not accept it.
  • Do not pack your nav and pop files into the bsp. If the server crashes on map load your map will be excluded. For easy handling on both your side and the server admin's side, upload a single zip file containing all the files.
  • Supply a functional pop file with your map. It can be a Valve pop file renamed to your map but ensure it plays start to finish. In particular, make sure tanks work.
  • If you edited your nav file, make sure you run nav_analyze on your nav mesh before submitting your map files.
  • Failure to follow these rules may result in your map test being prematurely aborted or skipped from testing.
Gameday rules:
  • Despite the games running on a non-TF2Maps server, the official TF2Maps.net rules apply to all these games. Violation of these rules may result in being dismissed from the server for the remainder of that gameday. Repeated infractions may result in a permanent ban from participating in future gamedays. Behave as you would on a TF2Maps server.
  • Each map is limited to 1 hour of game time. After this time elapses, the decision to continue playing the map is up to the people on the server.
  • If a map has two missions to be tested, each mission will be tested on separate days.
  • Non-required missions (e.g. an advanced + expert mode mission) will not be tested as devoting testing them to them is unfair to the participants that have required files that need testing. Only the required missions will be tested during these gamedays.
  • The host/admins reserve the right to enforce their own gameday rules. (For example, if normal mode is being tested and the host demands trash gear, bringing loadouts suitable for adv/expert mode infringes that rule.)
Notes:
  • PLEASE repack your map to save people time when they download your map.
  • PLEASE do brief and basic testing of your map before submitting it to the gameday. Use sv_pure 2 to check that all custom assets are packed. Make sure your pop files do not have any missing icons on the HUD. Check your console for any errors (such as missing nav_analyze, pop file errors, etc) when loading the map and pop files and correct all of them.
  • Try to join us when we play your map (even if it means sitting in spectator) as seeing your map being played real-time can give you much more useful feedback.
  • If the map download fails while joining the server, try connecting again. (This should be fixed very soon, I hope!)
  • You can find demo files and feedback data here.
Directions:
  • Create a download page for your map on TF2Maps and post your map in here. Upload a zip file containing the bsp, nav, pop, and any custom class icon files to your map page. (Note: The server will not accept other file types, including .res files.)
  • Post in this thread if you want your map tested so we can prioritize it. Follow the post format below. We will be using this single thread for all tests leading up to the contest deadline.
  • Join the server steam group for any events that may go out related to map testing.
Submission format:
Map name: (name of your map)
Map download link: (link to your map for download)
Steam profile link: (optional - if you provide this, we can give you uploading rights to the server)
Mission to be tested: (If you have 2 pop files, specify which one you want to test, or specify if you want to test both. If you have only 1 pop file, this section can be omitted.)
Preferred day: (optional)
Notes: (anything else you want to say...)

Closing:
Questions or comments about the gamedays? Feel free to ask in this thread in addition to submitting your map for testing. For questions related to the contest itself, ask in the contest thread. For questions related to fixing issues with your map, it's best to make your own thread.

Thanks and hope to see you there!

Last edited:

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017
Looks great. I'd like my map, mvm_cargoship, to be tested, please. I'll try to make it for the gameday on Saturday, but I have prior plans for the first half of the day, including a likely lunch engagement with friends, but my afternoon (sometime after 1 or 2 PM EST) should be free. My Sunday morning will be taken up as well, but my Sunday afternoon will be free up until 5:00 PM EST. If I don't make it for the gameplay of my map, then I'll be sure to watch the demo recording and see feedback.
Map Name: mvm_cargoship_a1b
Map Download Link: https://tf2maps.net/downloads/cargoship-mvm.4004/download?version=8591
Steam Profile Link: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198167280575/
Mission to be Tested: Although I'd like both included missions to be played and tested at some point, oceanic onslaught (the advanced mission) would be preferable for a first test as hopefully it will allow the entire map to be tested, but feel free to play whichever mission best meets the skill level of those playing. A normal mission is included. Both of them were self-made, so feedback on those would be nice too.
Preferred day: No preference.

Oh, and this link is broken.
EDIT: It works now.

Last edited:

Hydrogen

MvM Maniac
Apr 5, 2017
This weekend we probably won't run a gameday since it's my bachelor's graduation ceremony (done with undergrad).

Seeing how there hasn't been any new requests posted here I don't think we'll miss out on anything. We'll do one next week! (May 13-14)

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014
Gonna be hosting a Gameday later today (aiming for around 4pm BST/11am EST). Current map list (taken from the Steam chat bot and this thread):

Map|Author(s)|Download
mvm_faux_a1|Faux Rhinoceros| TF2M
mvm_snowflake_a8|basilhs333| TF2M
mvm_cargoship_a2|Da Spud Lord| TF2M
mvm_coastal_a3|Erk, Vipes, Exactol| TF2M

If anyone else wants their map played, post the map here or PM me. If we run out of maps, we'll start playing maps from the pool.

Last edited:

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017
I won't make it either. I'll watch the demo and see feedback for mine (mvm_cargoship), so please leave some!

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014
Jul 26, 2015

RodionJenga

L5: Dapper Member
Oct 24, 2015

zahndah

professional letter
aa
Jul 4, 2015
Last edited:

Hydrogen

MvM Maniac
Apr 5, 2017
Since this weekend has Mother's day (USA & I think Australia too) we likely didn't/won't be running many games today (there might be 1 or 2 at random). If you live in those countries, make sure to spend quality time with your mom/mum today!

We'll run some tests during the weekdays to compensate for this rather lackluster weekend. See you then!

Cytosolic

L5: Dapper Member
May 1, 2015
Map name: mvm_wrought_a1
Map Download link: https://tf2maps.net/downloads/wrought.4059/download?version=8808
Steam profile link: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Cytosolic
Mission to be tested: mvm_wrought_a1_advanced, use mvm_wrought_a1_intermediate if the advanced mission is way too hard.

EDIT: Preferred day: Sunday. I've got a few fixes to make before testing. If you could instead run my map on Sunday instead of Saturday that would be great.

EDIT: I've released a newer version of Wrought and updated this download link to the newer version.

Last edited:

PenolAkushari

Never Played MvM
Apr 28, 2017
Last edited:

Bazooks

L2: Junior Member
Dec 31, 2016
Does different versions count as different maps?
Not to be rude or anything, but why is there a map that is constantly being preferred to be tested?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.