Mapathon 2022: Spring Cleaning

Suna

What's a greybox?
aa
Nov 10, 2017
Full_SC.gif

Banner by Lo-fi and Suna

Rules and Information | Upload Thread | Showcase​

One of the major issues within this community is that people never seem to finish what they start. How many unfinished maps do you have lying about in your broom closet? Several, I bet. Time to dust off the cobwebs and get back to work!

This Mapathon is all about one thing: completion.
Take a map of yours (or someone else's, with permission) and finish it to the best of your ability, within 3 months.

After the submission period has closed, there will be a thread to showcase all submitted entries.

Rules
  • Maps must be uploaded to the submission thread before the soft deadline. Maps submitted after this deadline may still make it into the showcase, as long as they are not posted too late.
  • MVM entries are allowed, but must also have included missions.
  • You may submit as many maps as you like before the deadline closes.
  • Maps must be able to be run on any server without the use of external plugins.

FAQ:

What's a Mapathon?
  • A Mapathon is our longer-term version of our annual 72hr Jam, running for three months rather than three days. They also have a larger focus on mapping, rather than general content creation (for now, at least). No judging, no prizes, just some good ol' maps for Team Fortress 2.

How do I enter?
  • Simply finish a map! That could be a map you already have in development, a idea you had scribbled down on a notepad somewhere, or something completely new! All we ask is that when the deadline comes around, it's done.

How complete can my map be before I start?
  • As long as it's not already done, you'll be fine! If your map is already completed, but you would like to update it, you may do that so long as the update is substantial enough. I recommend in this case you ask if your map is eligible before starting work on it, or it may not be featured in the showcase.

Can I change the layout, or is this detailing-only?
  • Yes! Layout alterations are all part of finishing a map. This isn't all about detail, get the map playing as well as it can. Rework it completely if you feel that it's best.

Are collaborations allowed?
  • Yes! You may have as many collaborators as you like (just make sure to credit them).
  • If you are entering using someone else's original map, they must be listed as a contributor.

Will Mapathons be a regular event?
  • Yes!.. Probably.

Deadline
  • The Mapathon begins as of this post.
  • The contest soft deadline is on July 25th, 2022 at 23:59 UTC
    • That's just over three months. Work quickly!
  • An upload thread will be available for the duration of the Mapathon.

Last edited:

Aapelikaeki

L3: Member
Feb 24, 2018
Hell yeah, this is just what I was planning to do this spring anyway!

...also, are Open Fortress maps allowed as submissions? They've got their own download category on TF2maps and finishing them is basically the same process as with TF2 but I just wanna make sure.

Suna

What's a greybox?
aa
Nov 10, 2017
Hell yeah, this is just what I was planning to do this spring anyway!

...also, are Open Fortress maps allowed as submissions? They've got their own download category on TF2maps and finishing them is basically the same process as with TF2 but I just wanna make sure.
Unfortunately not, they're not maps for TF2 so they wouldn't qualify to be featured in the showcase. Basically, they need to be playable on our servers. However if you submit any finished Open Fortress maps I could still include them as special mentions in the showcase in some form.

SnickerPuffs

(*single chuckle*)
aa
Apr 10, 2014
Huh, a contest about the very thing I can never seem to do during contests. Or in general.

My odds aren't looking good, but it's better to fail than never try at all. I'm in!

Tango

Sauce Copter Enthusiast
Jul 10, 2017
Hmm…

Should I revamp cp_airport
or

koth_thanosbigbooty…

Hard call tbh

ethosaur

L4: Comfortable Member
Sep 18, 2010
Good excuse to finish my 72hr map I suppose!

Suna

What's a greybox?
aa
Nov 10, 2017
where do I submit?

Lem Mem

L3: Member
Nov 1, 2020
i was gonna finish manteca for this (and I was making pretty good detailing progress on it) however the 10 day contest has taken priority for me so i'm not gonna be able to finish anything unfortunately. not a complete waste tho; as i said I got a lot of detailing done.
20220622105444_1.jpg
20220622105414_1.jpg
20220622105350_1.jpg
20220622105346_1.jpg

manteca b1 coming soon