Map workshop and theme packs

fubarFX

The "raw" in "nodraw"
aa
Jun 1, 2009
Say someone is using the construction theme pack, I figured it's going to be really freaking hard to list contributors on the workshop.

Do we have a list of authors per asset laying around somewhere? If not, we definitely should compile one for all custom theme packs, with the exception of swamp. Even japan gets confusing with only 2 authors. Listing contributors on a construction map is going to be next to impossible.

BigBros

L3: Member
Aug 20, 2014
Can you give a contribution to a steam group? If so, if a Japan Pack steam group was made, then it would make it easier than listing 20-30 people

fubarFX

The "raw" in "nodraw"
aa
Jun 1, 2009
Can you give a contribution to a steam group? If so, if a Japan Pack steam group was made, then it would make it easier than listing 20-30 people

you can only list people, and they have to be your friend too. that's a bit of an issue

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
I can try to write up as many people as possible, but adding some of them may be difficult - I think a few of them haven't been on steam in a while.

Edit: would making a steam user named "TF2Maps.net ConPack Crew" be a viable solution?

Edit: I've put up a list here; it's only what I remember off the top of my head but I'll ask around.

Last edited:

worMatty

Repacking Evangelist
aa
Jul 22, 2014
Perhaps it would be simpler to provide a prominent link to each content pack's page here at TF2maps, in the workshop map's description. It might encourage more people to visit this site and use the packs, and it would be easy for them to provide credit the same way.

Or perhaps you could petition Valve to create some kind of Studio group. What would be most beneficial for all? Are users of the Steam workshop more or less likely to check individual contributors associated with a map, than they are to follow a link in its description to a landing page that explains all about it and also advertises some other maps?

UKCS-Alias

Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?
aa
Sep 8, 2008
Another thing i see is the efficiency issue.

If 5 maps use the same pack and you subscribe to each of them you download that pack 5 times. While if it was just 1 pack it would have been much better to handle. But then 2 diffirent versions might be giving conflicts. But maybe a standard cpk pack of the original content with just a few update vpks containing newer content could solve that issue.

But yes, for authors its a must.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
I was wondering this too. It made me wonder how the content packs are handled for purposes of Valve purchasing the maps as well. Are the content packs just considered free to use? Should some proceeds go to TF2M as a whole?

The other thing is it's a good opportunity to reorganize the way subdomains are handled and listed. For instance we could really use a list of what TF2M (and maybe others, like BulletCrops) have put out somewhere. For example, I found Fubar's map release thing and have no idea how to get there again. I'm not sure how new people are supposed to find the construction pack or past contests without knowing where they are already.

worMatty

Repacking Evangelist
aa
Jul 22, 2014
VPK content could indeed be something that workshop map authors could stipulate as a required separate download. 5 maps that contain all of a pack's assets would actually be stored on a client's machine ten times, because of the current dual locations.

Though, does each map that uses the Construction Pack, for example, use every asset? How likely is it that a user will have multiple maps on his machine that use the same content? Given that a VPK would contain all of the assets, and would not be compressed, would the benefit of separate content be negated by its uncommon usage and the new BSP compression?

Adding support for content packs on the workshop would wrap up contribution credit very nicely. I think it should also be possible to add to existing VPKs on a client's machine, rather than have to add new ones. But I would not want to encourage the creation and necessary download of large content VPKs where only a couple of assets are used by a handful of maps.

The other thing is it's a good opportunity to reorganize the way subdomains are handled and listed. For instance we could really use a list of what TF2M (and maybe others, like BulletCrops) have put out somewhere. For example, I found Fubar's map release thing and have no idea how to get there again. I'm not sure how new people are supposed to find the construction pack or past contests without knowing where they are already.
I agree. I had trouble finding existing content packs, and had to search for them on Google. The main web site doesn't acknowledge their existence in any significant way, but it should be pushing them in to people's faces as it's a unique selling-point.

Coffee, I had this on a list of thoughts about TF2maps, but I think you should take it to the site suggestions forum!

Last edited:

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
You'll need to figure out how that will work. If you put it up for free-to-use, I guess technically someone can use it without giving you money. It's up to the author to decide if they want to toss 1% towards someone for a single material.
Yeah, right. But in this case I don't know what the TF2M content packs are: free to use, or not? And I was around for a lot of it, and I helped put some together when I was staff. But I actually don't know! It would be good to figure out and decide that.

In a case like the Japan pack, I think it's clear Freyja and E-Arkham deserve compensation if any maps are bought. But the construction pack? I don't know who did any of that, except maybe Seba? I'm not even sure.

I agree. I had trouble finding existing content packs, and had to search for them on Google. The main web site doesn't acknowledge their existence in any significant way, but it should be pushing them in to people's faces as it's a unique selling-point.

Coffee, I had this on a list of thoughts about TF2maps, but I think you should take it to the site suggestions forum!
There's a lot that could be done to make this better! Something I would do if I was still staff I guess.