Phidio

L1: Registered
Jun 22, 2016
Hey guys,
I just made my first map, I worked on it for 2 weeks now. I ran the map for tests while I made it, and I set RAD and VIS to "Fast" while I was doing these test runs. Now if I set them to normal, hammer freezes. I read that I should just wait it out. I waited 1 and a half our but the program isnt doing anything after it freezes.
Here are the logs when I compile the map without RAD and VIS:

** Executing...
** Command: "D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\bin\vbsp.exe"
** Parameters: -game "D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf" "D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\resilient_optimized.vmf"

Valve Software - vbsp.exe (Mar 2 2016)
4 threads
materialPath: D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\materials
Loading D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\resilient_optimized.vmf
ConVarRef mat_reduceparticles doesn't point to an existing ConVar
Patching WVT material: maps/resilient_optimized/nature/blendrockgroundwallforest004_wvt_patch
Patching WVT material: maps/resilient_optimized/koth_viaduct_event/blendrockgroundwallforest_viaduct_event002_wvt_patch
Patching WVT material: maps/resilient_optimized/nature/blendrockgroundwallforest_wvt_patch
Patching WVT material: maps/resilient_optimized/nature/blendconcretetograss002_wvt_patch
Patching WVT material: maps/resilient_optimized/nature/blendgroundtoconcrete003_wvt_patch
fixing up env_cubemap materials on brush sides...
ProcessBlock_Thread: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (0)
ProcessBlock_Thread: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (1)
Processing areas...done (0)
Building Faces...done (0)
Chop Details...done (0)
Find Visible Detail Sides...
Merged 86 detail faces...done (0)
Merging details...done (0)
FixTjuncs...
PruneNodes...
WriteBSP...
done (0)
writing D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\resilient_optimized.prt...Building visibility clusters...
done (0)
*** Error: Skybox vtf files for skybox/sky_nightfall_01 weren't compiled with the same size texture and/or same flags!
Can't load skybox file skybox/sky_nightfall_01 to build the default cubemap!
*** Error: Skybox vtf files for skybox/sky_nightfall_01 weren't compiled with the same size texture and/or same flags!
Can't load skybox file skybox/sky_nightfall_01 to build the default cubemap!
Finding displacement neighbors...
Finding lightmap sample positions...
Displacement Alpha : 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10
Building Physics collision data...
done (0) (214366 bytes)
Placing detail props : 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8..Material NATURE/BLENDCONCRETETOGRASS002 uses unknown detail object type tf_forest_grass!
Material NATURE/BLENDCONCRETETOGRASS002 uses unknown detail object type tf_forest_grass!
Material NATURE/BLENDCONCRETETOGRASS002 uses unknown detail object type tf_forest_grass!
Compacting texture/material tables...
Reduced 675 texinfos to 381
Reduced 85 texdatas to 77 (2266 bytes to 1815)
Writing D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\resilient_optimized.bsp
Wrote ZIP buffer, estimated size 3563, actual size 2813
4 seconds elapsed

** Executing...
** Command: Copy File
** Parameters: "D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\resilient_optimized.bsp" "D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\maps\resilient_optimized.bsp"

Can anyone help me? I'm really frustrated right now, because my Server is ready to run and I want to finish my map.

PS: I also tried to optimize the map by switching all the textures you cant see to "nodraw".

zahndah

professional letter
aa
Jul 4, 2015
pretty much, i persume your map is badly optimized for vvis, therefore it is taking a very long time to compile. Try some basic optimization techniques like 'func_detailing' small brushes that dont block vision. To do this select the brush you want to make a func_detail and press ctrl_t. This should cut down your compile times tremendously.

killohurtz

Distinction in Applied Carving
aa
Feb 22, 2014
I suspect the compiler is getting hung up on vis calculations, probably because your map still isn't very well optimized. Can you provide a screenshot or two of your map in Hammer after clicking Map > Load Portal File? (If you don't have such a file, you can run a vbsp only compile to get one)

For reference, if the blue lines that appear look really dense or messy, you have some optimizing to do. There's a lot more to it than simply nodrawing things.

Phidio

Jun 22, 2016
I suspect the compiler is getting hung up on vis calculations, probably because your map still isn't very well optimized. Can you provide a screenshot or two of your map in Hammer after clicking Map > Load Portal File? (If you don't have such a file, you can run a vbsp only compile to get one)

For reference, if the blue lines that appear look really dense or messy, you have some optimizing to do. There's a lot more to it than simply nodrawing things.

Yeah there are some blue lines pretty dense around some complex structures. Thank you I will read that guide soon!

Phidio

Jun 22, 2016
pretty much, i persume your map is badly optimized for vvis, therefore it is taking a very long time to compile. Try some basic optimization techniques like 'func_detailing' small brushes that dont block vision. To do this select the brush you want to make a func_detail and press ctrl_t. This should cut down your compile times tremendously.

Thank you very much that solved my problem! I just made two big complex shapes to func_detail enities and it worked!