Map won't compile because of area portals (resolved)

Adawby

L1: Registered
Jun 11, 2015
Hello!

I have an issue with my map in which it won't compile. After checking on Interlopers.net log checker the following solution was given to me:

"Pretty obvious, an func_areaportal(window) can only consist of one brush per entity."

"Make multiple brushes multiple func_areaportal(window)s, or make different windows in a wall the same areaportal(window) (they can go through walls if needed)."

The problem is that I don't understand what the solution is telling me to do. I have no idea what to do to fix the problem aside from deleting all the area portals in the map.

Here is the log by the way:

** Executing...
** Command: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\bin\vbsp.exe"
** Parameters: -game "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\koth_wildwater_a10.vmf"

Valve Software - vbsp.exe (Sep 23 2019)
6 threads
materialPath: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\materials
Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\koth_wildwater_a10.vmf
ConVarRef mat_reduceparticles doesn't point to an existing ConVar
Entity 997: func_areaportal can only be a single brush

** Executing...
** Command: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\bin\vvis.exe"
** Parameters: -game "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\koth_wildwater_a10"

Valve Software - vvis.exe (Sep 23 2019)
6 threads
reading c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\team fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\koth_wildwater_a10.bsp
Error opening c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\team fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\koth_wildwater_a10.bsp

** Executing...
** Command: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\bin\vrad.exe"
** Parameters: -game "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\koth_wildwater_a10"

Valve Software - vrad.exe SSE (Sep 23 2019)

Valve Radiosity Simulator
6 threads
[Reading texlights from 'lights.rad']
unknown light specifier type - lights

[56 texlights parsed from 'lights.rad']

Loading c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\team fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\koth_wildwater_a10.bsp
Error opening c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\team fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\koth_wildwater_a10.bsp

** Executing...
** Command: Copy File
** Parameters: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\koth_wildwater_a10.bsp" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\maps\koth_wildwater_a10.bsp"

The command failed. Windows reported the error:
"The system cannot find the file specified."

DrSquishy

we've all had better times to die
aa
Feb 10, 2017
Somewhere in the map, you've tied multiple brushes to a single areaportal brush entity:
Entity 997: func_areaportal can only be a single brush

To solve this, you've got to find the areaportal and either separate it into two/more distinct brush entities or have a single areaportal entity fill the space instead.

Adawby

L1: Registered
Jun 11, 2015
Thanks I finally understood what was happening and now my map is compiling correctly again!