Map won't compile because of area portals (resolved)

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Adawby, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Adawby

Adawby L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Hello!

I have an issue with my map in which it won't compile. After checking on Interlopers.net log checker the following solution was given to me:

"Pretty obvious, an func_areaportal(window) can only consist of one brush per entity."

"Make multiple brushes multiple func_areaportal(window)s, or make different windows in a wall the same areaportal(window) (they can go through walls if needed)."

The problem is that I don't understand what the solution is telling me to do. I have no idea what to do to fix the problem aside from deleting all the area portals in the map.

Here is the log by the way:

** Executing...
    ** Command: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\bin\vbsp.exe"
    ** Parameters: -game "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\koth_wildwater_a10.vmf"

Valve Software - vbsp.exe (Sep 23 2019)
    6 threads
    materialPath: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\materials
    Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\koth_wildwater_a10.vmf
    ConVarRef mat_reduceparticles doesn't point to an existing ConVar
    Entity 997: func_areaportal can only be a single brush

** Executing...
    ** Command: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\bin\vvis.exe"
    ** Parameters: -game "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\koth_wildwater_a10"

Valve Software - vvis.exe (Sep 23 2019)
    6 threads
    reading c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\team fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\koth_wildwater_a10.bsp
    Error opening c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\team fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\koth_wildwater_a10.bsp

** Executing...
    ** Command: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\bin\vrad.exe"
    ** Parameters: -game "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\koth_wildwater_a10"

Valve Software - vrad.exe SSE (Sep 23 2019)

Valve Radiosity Simulator
    6 threads
    [Reading texlights from 'lights.rad']
    unknown light specifier type - lights

[56 texlights parsed from 'lights.rad']

Loading c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\team fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\koth_wildwater_a10.bsp
    Error opening c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\team fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\koth_wildwater_a10.bsp

** Executing...
    ** Command: Copy File
    ** Parameters: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\koth_wildwater_a10.bsp" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\maps\koth_wildwater_a10.bsp"

The command failed. Windows reported the error:
    "The system cannot find the file specified."

2. DrSquishy

aa DrSquishy Help I'm lost in a big scary forest

Positive Ratings:
    Somewhere in the map, you've tied multiple brushes to a single areaportal brush entity:
    Entity 997: func_areaportal can only be a single brush

To solve this, you've got to find the areaportal and either separate it into two/more distinct brush entities or have a single areaportal entity fill the space instead.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Adawby

Adawby L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks I finally understood what was happening and now my map is compiling correctly again!