Map Welcome Screen Edit?

frenziedlather

L1: Registered
Jul 6, 2008
Is there a way to edit the text that appears right before your map loads. I managed to find a thread on changing the server welcome screen (using motd.txt) but have been unsuccessful in finding a way to change the next screen.

I have a CP attack/defend map that won't allow RED to win (unless they defend until time runs out), but the map desc says either team can win by capturing all CPs.

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
Is there a way to edit the text that appears right before your map loads. I managed to find a thread on changing the server welcome screen (using motd.txt) but have been unsuccessful in finding a way to change the next screen.

I have a CP attack/defend map that won't allow RED to win (unless they defend until time runs out), but the map desc says either team can win by capturing all CPs.
if i remember correctly, they are txt files in the maps directory of the server

just make a file that matches the map like for ctf_2fort, it would be ctf_2fort.txt

frenziedlather

Jul 6, 2008
Is there any reason creating/editing this file would not work. I found those files earlier and got this crazy idea that if i made one for my server, I'd see the text. Unfortunately, that was not the case. I verified (and verified again) that I was naming the file correctly... I think... my map is named cp_entropy_a2.bsp so i made a file named cp_entropy_a2_english.txt and modified the text.

this isn't some sort of config issue or anything... i.e. the users log into my map, but the text file isn't being downloaded (sorry, I'm new to hosting)

Last edited:

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
You need a .res file to make the text file download with the map.

Say, cp_yourmap_english.txt and cp_yourmap_finnish.txt. Create a text file that contains:

Code:
"Resources" 
{ 
	"maps/cp_yourmap_english.txt"	"file" 
	"maps/cp_yourmap_finnish.txt"	"file" 
}

And name it cp_yourmap.res

Place it in the maps folder with your map on the server.

Spacemonkeynz

L5: Dapper Member
Jan 31, 2008
Yes, you pack the file in with you bsp. 'mapname.txt' (doesn't need the '_english' part unless you plan to have multiple languages.)

Last edited:

frenziedlather

Jul 6, 2008
You need a .res file to make the text file download with the map.

Say, cp_yourmap_english.txt and cp_yourmap_finnish.txt. Create a text file that contains:

Code:
"Resources" 
{ 
	"maps/cp_yourmap_english.txt"	"file" 
	"maps/cp_yourmap_finnish.txt"	"file" 
}

And name it cp_yourmap.res

Place it in the maps folder with your map on the server.

OK, so I added the file but I get this error when the map starts:

KeyValues Error: LoadFromBuffer: missing { in file maps/cp_entropy_a2.res

Here's my file contents (named cp_entropy_a2.res):

"Resources"
{
"maps/cp_entropy_a2.txt" "file"
}

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
That happened to me. It's some error with no documented reason or solution. You obviously have the { in there.

I put my .res on my website and downloaded it onto the server from there and it worked.

frenziedlather

Jul 6, 2008
Thanks Nineaxis,

I copied the text, deleted the file, and created a new one. I pasted the text back in and it works like a charm.