Map Walkthrough Plugin? Disable weapons other

MjRNuT

L1: Registered
Mar 23, 2008
I thought this might be a good place to post, but freely move to appropriate forum after reading what I'm getting at, as the thought just came to me.

So you're doing a map test and it's quite inhibiting in trying/attempting to walk though or explain the map while:

1) everyone run around aimlessly
2) overtalk you during the attempted description over the mic
3) killing free for all
4) re-DONK-ulous class spawning
.<insert other senseless/annoying acts>

To compliment the awesome Annotations plugin for feedback, what about disabling all weapons or certain ones? Even class restricting (can use existing SM ones). Mic control designation?

Or just lock everyone but X ppl into Spectator?

You know...how you really might conduct a class?!?!

I thought to broach this here since it only makes sense! Of course let me know if there is already some plugin that does this or other.

Thanks!

MjRNuT

Mar 23, 2008
Fosho I looked there before posting here about a feature that seemed fitting for map walk-throughs. I haven't been able to experience a TF2maps game day, which I presume is basically play testing of map, that may have some walk-through time? I'm assuming that part of course.

Quite possibly there are no issues that I presented that occur during a map walk-through, which the basis is to educate the players in order to achieve a more (hopeful) objective review of the map. Ergo, better comments/feedback to the author.

However, in the time that I posted this thread, which again thought might be useful here and wondered of Tf2Maps has a system in place, there was a plugin created that can accomplish the walk-through...sort of. It freezes all players.

Quite possibly silly, http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=142494, but it can quickly get ppl's attention with one command.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
youtube fly-through's and TF2maps gamedays (along with other gamedays in other communities) would really make such a thing redundant.

Occasionally we have had "detail 101" hosted by I-D, but that was something slightly different.

Gameday + impromptu = walk throughs.

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008
The main reason for gamedays is, as far as I know, still testing the gameplay. If everyone gets their weapons disabled that's not really going to help, is it :p

Plus, what's wrong with just quickly going into spec, putting an annotation in a spot, and going back in?

I'm not sure what a forced walkthrough will add except that you can't actually see EVERYTHING unlike if you'd just go through it yourself.

zero_rogue

Sep 15, 2009
a few words of warning MjRNuT if you wish to go through with your plan.

First, 90% of players who join your server by chance during this "walk-through" will likely say "WTF is this?" and disconnect.

Secondly, If you have to do a walk-through for your map, you didn't make your map that well. A well designed map should lead the player to wherever they are supposed to go. even a map in alpha should have all it needs for players to understand the layout.

Finally, realize after your finished your map will have to be released to those nuts you describe in the first post. who will put it on their server and play it w/o you even knowing there doing this, much less giving a walk-through.

Please remember in mapping; You can't fix the player but you can fix the map.