Map Testing For October 18

Armadillo of Doom

Group Founder, Lover of Pie
aa
Oct 25, 2007
Edit 2: Time has been increased, hopefully allowing different timezones to more actively participate. Still going on U.S. central. You can check the Steam group, which automatically adjusts to your time.

Edit 1: To clarify, I was taking my times from U.S. Central Standard. http://www.timetemperature.com/tzus/time_zone.shtml

1200-1600 at 72.233.93.233:27015 Just post your request here, at least 1 week in advance.

Guidelines For Testing: Due to issues past and present, I am laying down a few rules. Map testing should be a fun experience to talk seriously w/ your fellow mappers and gamers. That said, please don't be discouraged or scared while reading the first and most important rule.

1. Absolutely no bitching! The people who show up for testing do so because of their appreciation for custom TF2. Most of these individuals are also looking to get some feedback on their map. It is very much a group effort. When we first began the testing events, there was a lot of disrespect and jerkiness if things were not perfect. Example: It's one thing to say 'I think we need more than 5 peeps per team for this part of the map.' As opposed to 'How can I get good feedback like this? The admins/testers/whoever really need to pay more attention. Why bother like this?' Should I hear anything from the latter category, I won't think twice about banning your ass.

2. In order for things to run smoothly, testing requests must be made 1 week prior. This seems pretty harsh I know, but there really is no better way. The big problem we always have is planning. Maps requested for testing will be added to the server as soon as possible. This has to be done manually by an admin b/c of the aforementioned abuse of the direct upload service. Though I have an idea to get around it, for now you'll just have to tough it out.

3. You may not get sufficient testing on the day you request; don't freak out. Whether b/c of a low turnout or everyone gets tired after a couple hours. Simply post a request for the following week, saying only a couple peeps were available, or you only got like 5min. Such incidents will take priority during the next testing day. If there happen to be a dozen people looking for feedback that day, you'll have to be accommodating.

4. When requesting your test, the download must be available. Asking for some testing time and submitting your map a day before the event kinda defeats the purpose. In regards to multiple maps per author; this will be allowed if time permits. Should the testing schedule be rather large on that day, you'll have to settle for just one map.

5. Reread #1.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Soo... UST is 7 hours behind London? To clarify?

I would like to add Avante_B2. Only B1 is on the site at the moment but here's the discussion thread and i'll get B2 up asap (probably Monday). I'll edit this post with the link.

Unless the submission of the file has to be a week in advance also. Then i guess i'll have to wait for the next one.

Vicenti

L2: Junior Member
Jun 22, 2008
I'd like to get ctf_1fort a bit of play time.

Download here
Discuss here

If there's room for me to get a second map in, I'd like to add cp_palatial as well.
Download here
Discuss here

Unfortunately I lost the source files for both maps when my hard drive crashed last week, but I'm confident I can recreate them and would like some feedback to help make them better this time.

Bonafide

L6: Sharp Member
Mar 18, 2008

Armadillo of Doom

Group Founder, Lover of Pie
aa
Oct 25, 2007
I appreciate the understanding Bonafide :) I will be updating the server w/ this week's requests shortly. Also please note the time change. Grazr, I thought that having the download ready would be implied :S Seeing as I was wrong however, just get it up as soon as possible. And Vicenti, it never actually occurred to me that people might have more than one map to test, lol. I think that doing more than one submission per person will just depend on how heavy the schedule is. This time however, we can do both :)

Last edited:

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
Well of course the download will need to be ready :p But i want the unbroken one to be tested. I wasn't suer whether it had to be ready and available now (start of the game day arrangements for the coming weekend).

I'll get it up tonight and post the link. Will need to run a fresh compile when i get back from uni.

Uriak

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Apr 27, 2008
I understand :)

To anwer, here's the changelog :blushing:

Changelog a8 :
->uber speed toned down by 30%
->uber speed charge time set to 100s
->uber speed charging speed varies with number of blocking players, from 1 to 3.

Changelog gte :
->Collision issue whould be fixed or at least less present
->cart dispensers are back (I did'nt remove those of the central room, though)
->blocking is no longer trigger based, but capture based. You should be legit to cap to block a cart.
->dynamic signs features only 2 or 1 colored circle, that points at the location of the carts. This should help locate them when both carts are on the same segment.
->capture points (for score) are awarded to players doing differents things :
*pushing the cart : pushing during the time needed to complete one turn at X1 speed should give you 6 captures (it's 1/5th of goldrush, since the possible distance is far greater in this map)
*winning the map by pushing : capture awarded for players currently pushing when hitting the hostile cart
*blocking : around 1 capture for 30-40s of blocking
*triggering uber speed : capture awarded for players currently blocking the hostile cart when the gauge reachs 100%

Changelog te :
->triggering über speed sets both über charge at zero
->varying spawn time :
0 CP (center spawn) -> 5s, 1CP -> 8s, 2CP -> 7s, 3/4CP -> 6s
->more ammo and healthpack in defensive zones and central room

Changelog gde :
->blocked cart without cause should fixed
->winning stops the uber speed mode and the cart
->some optimisations
->uber mode is a bit longer and does less damage

But as said, I'm very unlikely to play (time schedule and ping issues) :closedeyes: and have some place to have test so don't be afraid to unprioritize me

Last edited:

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
Last edited:

Dox

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Oct 26, 2007
well, All in all gameday was a success, even with me having to upload stovepipe and avante while everyone played turbine for a bit :p
Thanks to all who have submitted and big thanks to all those who stuck it out and helped us get some testing done.