Map suddenly goes fullbright when playing.

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!

Zurby

L2: Junior Member
Jul 18, 2016
Hello

So I'm currently making my first map, I have little experience and don't know what can cause my map going fullbright (if that's the right term) basically, it thinks my scene has no lighting, so everything is evenly lit..

But when I previously tried my map, everything worked fine. inbetween my compiles and tests I did switch gamemode of the map, I made my skybox bigger and further expanded my map.

Screenshot_4.png

As seen on the picture, those are all the entities my map has some basic lighting, fog and shadow (plus lightings from the aaa_lightinglibrary). I never touched that so I don't know if that's the issue?
My skybox is atm also just a big box around my map, because the shape of my mountains are not there yet.

Any ideas what can cause a map to go fullbright? Or do you see anything out of the ordinary on my screenshot?

Thanks in advance.

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
Are you reloading the game between compiles? If you load a map that has fullbright, any maps loaded after that (or the same map reloaded) will also be fullbright, even if they should have lighting. You can fix this by restarting the game or using mat_fullbright 0 in the console (which disables fullbright, assuming the loaded map has lighting).

If that's not the issue, post your compile log.

Zurby

Jul 18, 2016
@Idolon I tried restarting hammer aswell as using the "mat_fullbright 0",sadly enough no change.

here's the compile log

** Executing...
** Command: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\bin\vbsp.exe"
** Parameters: -game "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf" "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\team fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\tryhard map\tryhardmap"

Valve Software - vbsp.exe (Jul 26 2016)
8 threads
materialPath: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\materials
Loading c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\team fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\tryhard map\tryhardmap.vmf
Error! Variable "%keywords" is multiply defined in material "nature/battlefieldgrass001"!
Brush 107086, Side 6: duplicate plane
Brush 113448, Side 6: duplicate plane
ConVarRef mat_reduceparticles doesn't point to an existing ConVar
Patching WVT material: maps/tryhardmap/nature/blendgroundtopavement003_wvt_patch
Patching WVT material: maps/tryhardmap/concrete/blendwetpavement001_wvt_patch
Patching WVT material: maps/tryhardmap/nature/blendgroundtobattlefieldgrass001_wvt_patch
Patching WVT material: maps/tryhardmap/nature/blendrockgroundwallforest003_wvt_patch
Patching WVT material: maps/tryhardmap/nature/blendrockgroundwallforest002_wvt_patch
Patching WVT material: maps/tryhardmap/dev/dev_blendmeasure2_wvt_patch
Patching WVT material: maps/tryhardmap/landfall/blendrocksawmilgrass_wvt_patch
fixing up env_cubemap materials on brush sides...
ProcessBlock_Thread: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (1)

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (1376.1 -2810.9 199.4)
Leaf 0 contents:
Leaf 1 contents: CONTENTS_SOLID
viscontents (node 0 contents ^ node 1 contents): CONTENTS_SOLID
This means that none of the brushes in leaf 0 or 1 that touches the portal has CONTENTS_SOLID
Check for a huge brush enclosing the coordinates above that has contents CONTENTS_SOLID
Candidate brush IDs: Brush 68894:

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (-748.2 -1650.4 66.4)
Leaf 0 contents: CONTENTS_SOLID
Leaf 1 contents:
This means that none of the brushes in leaf 0 or 1 that touches the portal has CONTENTS_SOLID
Check for a huge brush enclosing the coordinates above that has contents CONTENTS_SOLID
Candidate brush IDs: Brush 78753:

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (-757.8 -1652.0 66.7)
Leaf 1 contents:

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (1376.1 -2810.3 199.4)
Leaf 0 contents:
Candidate brush IDs: Brush 68894:

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (1380.2 -2573.9 197.4)
Leaf 0 contents:
Candidate brush IDs: Brush 68840:

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (1380.2 -2573.9 289.7)
Leaf 0 contents:

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (1380.2 -2573.9 222.4)
Leaf 0 contents:

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (-748.2 -1650.4 66.4)
Leaf 1 contents:

*** Suppressing further FindPortalSide errors.... ***
Processing areas...done (0)
Building Faces...done (0)
Chop Details...done (0)
Find Visible Detail Sides...
Merged 1096 detail faces...done (0)
Merging details...done (0)
FixTjuncs...
PruneNodes...
WriteBSP...
done (2)
writing c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\team fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\tryhard map\tryhardmap.prt...Building visibility clusters...
done (0)
Creating default LDR cubemaps for env_cubemap using skybox materials:
skybox/sky_hydro_01*.vmt
! Run buildcubemaps in the engine to get the correct cube maps.
Creating default HDR cubemaps for env_cubemap using skybox materials:
skybox/sky_hydro_01*.vmt
! Run buildcubemaps in the engine to get the correct cube maps.
Finding displacement neighbors...
Finding lightmap sample positions...
Displacement Alpha : 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10
Building Physics collision data...
WARNING: Map using power 4 displacements, terrain physics cannot be compressed, map will need additional memory and CPU.
done (0) (3023679 bytes)
Error! To use model "models/player/gibs/gibs_duck.mdl"
with prop_static, it must be compiled with $staticprop!
Error loading studio model "models/player/gibs/gibs_duck.mdl"!
Error! prop_static using model "models/props_gameplay/orange_cone001.mdl", which must be used on a dynamic entity (i.e. prop_physics). Deleted.
Error loading studio model "models/props_gameplay/orange_cone001.mdl"!
Placing detail props : 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8Material NATURE/BLENDGROUNDTOBATTLEFIELDGRASS001 uses unknown detail object type tf_battlefield_grass!
Material NATURE/BLENDGROUNDTOBATTLEFIELDGRASS001 uses unknown detail object type tf_battlefield_grass!
Material NATURE/BLENDGROUNDTOBATTLEFIELDGRASS001 uses unknown detail object type tf_battlefield_grass!
...9...Error! To use model "models/weapons/c_models/c_toolbox/c_toolbox.mdl"
with detail_prop, it must be compiled with $staticprop!
Error loading studio model "models/weapons/c_models/c_toolbox/c_toolbox.mdl"!
Water found with no water_lod_control entity, creating a default one.
Compacting texture/material tables...
Reduced 8366 texinfos to 6142
Reduced 92 texdatas to 80 (2355 bytes to 1964)
Writing c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\team fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\tryhard map\tryhardmap.bsp
Wrote ZIP buffer, estimated size 216803, actual size 215115
14 seconds elapsed

** Executing...
** Command: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\bin\vvis.exe"
** Parameters: -fast -game "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf" "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\team fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\tryhard map\tryhardmap"

Valve Software - vvis.exe (Jul 26 2016)
fastvis = true
8 threads
reading c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\team fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\tryhard map\tryhardmap.bsp
reading c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\team fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\tryhard map\tryhardmap.prt
5606 portalclusters
19326 numportals
BasePortalVis: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (15)
Optimized: 1307308 visible clusters (4.72%)
Total clusters visible: 27722485
Average clusters visible: 4945
Building PAS...
Average clusters audible: 5603
visdatasize:7711182 compressed from 7893248
writing c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\team fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\tryhard map\tryhardmap.bsp
21 seconds elapsed

** Executing...
** Command: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\bin\vrad.exe"
** Parameters: -final -textureshadows -staticproppolys -staticproplighting -game "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf" "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\team fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\tryhard map\tryhardmap"

Valve Software - vrad.exe SSE (Jul 26 2016)

Valve Radiosity Simulator
8 threads
[Reading texlights from 'lights.rad']
unknown light specifier type - lights

[56 texlights parsed from 'lights.rad']

Loading c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\team fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\tryhard map\tryhardmap.bsp
Loaded alpha texture materials\models\props_foliage\pine_tree_large.vtf
Loaded alpha texture materials\Models\props_gameplay\security_fence_alpha.vtf
Setting up ray-trace acceleration structure... Done (18.00 seconds)
27783 faces
numplanes + fakeplanes >= MAX_MAP_PLANES

** Executing...
** Command: Copy File
** Parameters: "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\team fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\tryhard map\tryhardmap.bsp" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\maps\tryhardmap.bsp"

** Executing...
** Command: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\hl2.exe"
** Parameters: -allowdebug -game "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf" +map "tryhardmap"

ExtraCheesyPie

L420: High Member
Jan 29, 2015
Also make sure you do "Check for Errors" before compilation, it can help. Iirc its under the "Map" tab near the top.

ExtraCheesyPie

L420: High Member
Jan 29, 2015
Hammer is a finicky program, any manner of random things could cause it. I'm on mobile so I cant do much, sorry :/

note if you're using the check errors function that you don't need a playerstart entity (hl2 holdover) and you're gonna get a fucktonne of angles on overlays. Ignore those, theyre harmless.

Zurby

Jul 18, 2016
I'm gonna have to bump up this thread as the issue is not yet resolved.

I worked through my compile log to fix the issues and I have 2 left

"material nature/blendgroundtobattlefieldgrass001 uses unknown detail object type tf_battlefield_grass!"

"Description:
One of your textures is scripted to emit detail props (the grass thingies that appear on displacements), but the detail props specified are not defined in the mod's data files."

how do I make it work?

I don't think this grass is gonna be the thing that broke my light so I really don't know what to do next..

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011

There's your problem. Those brushes have bad geometry, specifically, they have coplanar faces. Either merge the planes using vertex editing or just remake them.

Zurby

Jul 18, 2016

There's your problem. Those brushes have bad geometry, specifically, they have coplanar faces. Either merge the planes using vertex editing or just remake them.

I replaced those brushes but my game still runs in fullbright. I've also been going through the issues that interlopers.net shows. But no results.

here's my latest compile log

** Executing...
** Command: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\bin\vbsp.exe"
** Parameters: -game "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf" "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\team fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\tryhard map\tryhardmap"

Valve Software - vbsp.exe (Jul 26 2016)
8 threads
materialPath: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\materials
Loading c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\team fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\tryhard map\tryhardmap.vmf
Error! Variable "%keywords" is multiply defined in material "nature/battlefieldgrass001"!
ConVarRef mat_reduceparticles doesn't point to an existing ConVar
Patching WVT material: maps/tryhardmap/nature/blendgroundtopavement003_wvt_patch
Patching WVT material: maps/tryhardmap/concrete/blendwetpavement001_wvt_patch
Patching WVT material: maps/tryhardmap/nature/blendgroundtobattlefieldgrass001_wvt_patch
Patching WVT material: maps/tryhardmap/nature/blendrockgroundwallforest003_wvt_patch
Patching WVT material: maps/tryhardmap/nature/blendrockgroundwallforest002_wvt_patch
Patching WVT material: maps/tryhardmap/dev/dev_blendmeasure2_wvt_patch
Patching WVT material: maps/tryhardmap/landfall/blendrocksawmilgrass_wvt_patch
fixing up env_cubemap materials on brush sides...

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (-744.3 -1891.3 66.5)
Leaf 0 contents:

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (-748.2 -1651.4 66.3)
Leaf 1 contents:

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (-748.1 -1656.2 69.2)
Leaf 0 contents:

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (-757.8 -1650.9 66.4)
Leaf 1 contents:

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (-754.0 -1891.4 66.5)
Leaf 0 contents:

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (-754.1 -1886.1 69.2)
Leaf 0 contents:

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (1380.2 -2573.9 197.4)
Leaf 0 contents:

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (1380.2 -2573.9 289.7)
Leaf 0 contents:

*** Suppressing further FindPortalSide errors.... ***
Processing areas...done (0)
Building Faces...done (0)
Chop Details...done (0)
Find Visible Detail Sides...
Merged 1122 detail faces...done (0)
Merging details...done (0)
FixTjuncs...
PruneNodes...
WriteBSP...
done (2)
writing c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\team fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\tryhard map\tryhardmap.prt...Building visibility clusters...
done (0)
*** Error: Skybox vtf files for skybox/sky_trainyard_01 weren't compiled with the same size texture and/or same flags!
Can't load skybox file skybox/sky_trainyard_01 to build the default cubemap!
*** Error: Skybox vtf files for skybox/sky_trainyard_01 weren't compiled with the same size texture and/or same flags!
Can't load skybox file skybox/sky_trainyard_01 to build the default cubemap!
Finding displacement neighbors...
Finding lightmap sample positions...
Displacement Alpha : 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10
Building Physics collision data...
WARNING: Map using power 4 displacements, terrain physics cannot be compressed, map will need additional memory and CPU.
done (0) (3025209 bytes)
Placing detail props : 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8Material NATURE/BLENDGROUNDTOBATTLEFIELDGRASS001 uses unknown detail object type tf_battlefield_grass!
Water found with no water_lod_control entity, creating a default one.
Compacting texture/material tables...
Reduced 8300 texinfos to 6099
Reduced 95 texdatas to 83 (2455 bytes to 2064)
Writing c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\team fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\tryhard map\tryhardmap.bsp
Wrote ZIP buffer, estimated size 5065, actual size 3913
14 seconds elapsed

** Executing...
** Command: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\bin\vvis.exe"
** Parameters: -fast -game "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf" "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\team fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\tryhard map\tryhardmap"

Valve Software - vvis.exe (Jul 26 2016)
fastvis = true
8 threads
reading c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\team fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\tryhard map\tryhardmap.bsp
reading c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\team fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\tryhard map\tryhardmap.prt
5544 portalclusters
19269 numportals
BasePortalVis: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (15)
Optimized: 1286155 visible clusters (4.77%)
Total clusters visible: 26948571
Average clusters visible: 4860
Building PAS...
Average clusters audible: 5541
visdatasize:7533158 compressed from 7717248
writing c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\team fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\tryhard map\tryhardmap.bsp
21 seconds elapsed

** Executing...
** Command: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\bin\vrad.exe"
** Parameters: -final -textureshadows -staticproppolys -staticproplighting -game "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf" "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\team fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\tryhard map\tryhardmap"

Valve Software - vrad.exe SSE (Jul 26 2016)

8 threads

[56 texlights parsed from 'lights.rad']

Loading c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\team fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\tryhard map\tryhardmap.bsp
Loaded alpha texture materials\models\props_foliage\pine_tree_large.vtf
Loaded alpha texture materials\Models\props_gameplay\security_fence_alpha.vtf
Setting up ray-trace acceleration structure... Done (18.69 seconds)
27145 faces

** Executing...
** Command: Copy File
** Parameters: "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\team fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\tryhard map\tryhardmap.bsp" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\maps\tryhardmap.bsp"

** Executing...
** Command: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\hl2.exe"
** Parameters: -allowdebug -game "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf" +map "tryhardmap"

Another Bad Pun

In the shadows, he saw four eyes lit by fire
aa
Jan 15, 2011
I think something in your compile settings is preventing VRAD from running correctly.

8 threads

This is probably where you goofed.
In advanced compile settings you can set -lights light.rad, which tells VRAD to compile with the settings of the .rad file in mind. It looks like you either forgot the - infront of -lights or you put a space before it.

lights lights.rad = wrong
- lights lights.rad = wrong
-lights lights.rad = correct

hope this helps
(btw you can call a .rad file whatever you want as long as you specify it correctly in the compile settings)

Another Bad Pun

In the shadows, he saw four eyes lit by fire
aa
Jan 15, 2011
Try compiling using the simpler compile and see what happens.

That does look different from a typical fast compile but looking at that I can't really see much wrong from a glance?

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
I don't think lights.rad is the issue. Note the last line that occurs in the VRAD part of the compile:

The compile just ends here - no light bouncing or anything. I'm guessing this might be caused by the FindPortalSide errors or fast vvis, so I'd try fixing those two first and seeing if it brings VRAD back from the dead.

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
I'm guessing that you've got some complex geometry going on that isn't func_detailed, as that's usually what causes FindPortalSide errors when there isn't a leak, and it would also cause super long VVIS times. I would suggest using visgroups to turn of everything that isn't world geometry and looking for anything that isn't simple geometry, because that's most likely your culprit.

It might also be useful to look into using CompilePal or VBCT if you aren't already using them, as their compile windows don't freeze after a short amount of time like Hammer's does, which will be helpful if you're dealing with super long compile times (and they also wont slow the rest of your computer to a snail's pace).