Map Packing Help

darkness

L1: Registered
Aug 9, 2009
So after spending about half an hour googling for an answer I have decided to post here.

I have made a small keep away map using the swamp theme and want to distribute it for playtesting.

The only issue is I can't seem to get a good answer on how to pack the custom textures into my bsp. I know about pakrat and bspzip but packrat always locks up when I click the "auto" button. I tried packing the files manually but it takes forever to try and do it manually. Does anyone have any tips for packing extra textures/modes into a bsp to distribute?

LordNor

L3: Member
Jun 24, 2009
Pakrat is the best way to do it im afraid and really the only way i know how. If it keeps locking up when u hit "auto" then maybe you want to check that you kept all of the unzipped files in one folder or if your java is up to date. Personally i have no idea whats going on. I installed the swamp update used 2 models and a skybox from it and pakrat worked fine...illl look further into it if you can describe what it does. If it locks up and sort of freezes maybe its because you have ALOT of stuff in your map, so just let it run and think for a few minutes and see if that works.

darkness

Aug 9, 2009
Hmm.. Well what I do is load the bsp out of my mapsrc folder and then it will show me the cubmap files that are already in it. Then all of the tutorials I've read tell me to click the auto button. When I do it will pop up a progress bar that stalls on textures. I've tried letting it run overnight before and still no luck. I also can't even close the bar... I have to kill the java process manually.

darkness

Aug 9, 2009
Update:

So I have noticed this method works fine for the swamp_vignette and some other maps... However I get this java error when I try and do a scan for my swamp map or swamp_zoo

C:\Documents and Settings\ddrfreakgaming\Desktop>java -jar pakrat.jar
Exception in thread "Thread-4" java.lang.StackOverflowError
at java.util.regex.Pattern.sequence(Unknown Source)
at java.util.regex.Pattern.expr(Unknown Source)
at java.util.regex.Pattern.compile(Unknown Source)
at java.util.regex.Pattern.<init>(Unknown Source)
at java.util.regex.Pattern.compile(Unknown Source)
at pak.Scan.tokenize(Scan.java:1081)
at pak.Scan.getreffromvmt(Scan.java:1018)
at pak.Scan.getreffromvmt(Scan.java:1031)
at pak.Scan.getreffromvmt(Scan.java:1031) This one repeats a lot. then it stops... but the progress bar doesn't move

darkness

Aug 9, 2009
Thanks for the suggestion.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling both java and pakrat with no luck. I still get the same error when running the scan.

darkness

Aug 9, 2009
Bump. Has anyone else had this problem? I've even tried uninstalling and reinstalling the sdk/swamp maps since this only seems to happen on swamp maps... also if anyone knows how to do debugging for java I could see if I can locate the texture it's crashing on...

darkness

Aug 9, 2009
How do you know which models/materials/textures you need to include? I'm sure I can't remember each and every thing I used. I can remember some but I just know I will forget something..

darkness

Aug 9, 2009
So I will shut up about this and do it manually if someone will do me a favor. Can someone else try and run the auto scan in pakrat on the swamp_zoo bsp? I got the exact same error on that map and not swamp_vignette. I even tried to pack everything in a clean install of windows with no luck.

darkness

Aug 9, 2009
Alright, I haven't heard back from anyone so I did some detailed troubleshooting and I found out that the water_murky texture from the swamp pack will cause pakrat to fail autoscan if it's in your map. Anyone should be able to recreate this by compiling swamp_zoo and running autoscan in pakrat. Then you go into swamp_zoo and delete the water_murky brush and re-try the process. YOu will find autoscan will break the first and not the second... maybe someone needs to look at water_murky...

Harpo_53

L2: Junior Member
Apr 24, 2010
I know this is a very late response, but you sir have saved my map with this information, and I thank you. I was giving up on it because I couldn't stand the thought of going through everything manually, and I personally don't have the willpower to do this detailed troubleshooting. So thank you. Thank you very much.

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
First, a shameless plug for another packing program: PackBsp.

Second, if I recall correctly there's a water texture inside the swamp pack which references itself as a fallback texture, which (if not properly handled) could cause an infinite loop.