Map not packing with custom content

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Sparkie11, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Sparkie11

Sparkie11 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I've packed, and re packed my map but the custom content just won't show up in game, I'm using VIDE to pack the custom content, and the file size indicates it's packed but when my brother boots up the map it's errors and missing textures, any help would be greatly appreciated

2. Lampenpam

aa Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    Did you add the custom content manually or automaticly? If manually, perhaps you specified the paths incorrectly?

3. Sparkie11

Positive Ratings:
    I did it automatically

4. Sparkie11

Positive Ratings:
    I've narrowed it down to the fact that the meshes aren't packing with everything else

5. HashtagMC

HashtagMC L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I don't like VIDE's auto mode, so I usually pack content manually, and I've never had a problem with it. Have you tried packing it manually? I usually follow TopHATTwaffle's tutorial (no idea whether I'm allowed to link to that, you can just google "tophattwaffle vide", should be the first link).

If everything else fails, you could always try to go the "hard way" and use Valve's bspzip. It's tedious, but if the problem lies within VIDE, bspzip should do.

6. MOCOLONI

MOCOLONI L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Contents' locations should start with "/materials", "/models", "/sounds" and such (aka removing everything until "/tf", leaving the next subfolders in the directories).

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Lampenpam

aa Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    ...why exactly should that be forbidden? o_O

http://www.tophattwaffle.com/packing-custom-content-using-vide-in-steampipe/

There is only one thing that he didnt fogure out very well. At step 4 he recommends clicking "cancel" isntead of "OK" which then requires you to type the path manually.

However I always click "OK", VIDE unfortunately puts the entire file path in there, example:
    "C/programms/Steam/steamApps/common/Team Fortress 2/tf/materials/my_custom_texture/"
    But it's easier to just cut of everything at the start yourself instead of typing it out yourself. So select "OK" and then just delete the path until /tf/ so you have:
    "/materials/my_custom_texture/"

as MOCOLONI correctly pointed out you probably need to keep the "/" before the first folder.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017