Map not compiling...

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by ChronoTriggerFan, Feb 3, 2008.

1. ChronoTriggerFan

ChronoTriggerFan L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    In my most current save of my map, when I try to compile it, it goes along fine until it starts rendering Portal Flow, because it just freezes then. any idea what I'm doing wrong?

2. dirtyminuth

dirtyminuth L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    It's likely not freezing. VIS takes a long time for unoptimized maps. For reference, how many portalclusters and numportals do you have in your map? Those numbers appear under VIS during compile time.

3. ChronoTriggerFan

Positive Ratings:
    Well, then how would I optimize it... because I left it for 3 hours and it was stuck at 0...1...2. My map isn't extremely huge. I only changed a couple things, as before it only took about 2 minuets to compile...

4. Narkissus

Narkissus L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Be sure to func_detail anything not a big blocking brush, especially cylinders.
    That should help a massive amount.

5. dirtyminuth

Positive Ratings:
  6. Hawk

Hawk L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, I can't help but agree. My map did the same thing before I learned what a func_detail was. This tutorial is probably your best resource on what to turn into a func_detail. But in general, do it to columns, cylinders, stairs, and virtually anything that isn't plugging leaks or portioning off chunks of the map.

EDIT: Curses, dirtyminuth! I'll beat you to it next time!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2008
  7. ChronoTriggerFan

Positive Ratings:
    Looks like I have a lot of work ahead of me... and I don't know the portalcluster count or the numportal count since I cannot get it to compile!!!

8. dirtyminuth

Positive Ratings:
    You don't have to get it to compile successfully, you just need to start the PortalFlow process. Check "<your map name>.log" (same directory as your map vmf), scroll to the bottom (latest compile entry), and search for numportals / portalclusters.

For reference, I have a medium-sized CTF map, using hints only, with 591 portalclusters and 1405 numportals.

/\/\/\: Haha, Hawk. Foiled again!

9. spaceweasels

aa spaceweasels

Positive Ratings:
    Running VIS on my PC used to take a long time. What really helped was learning how to make effective area portals. I found them a bit tricky at first, but now when I design a map, one of the first things I plan are the area portals.

10. ChronoTriggerFan

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks, I finally got it to compile... but reading through that optimization guide... made me realize that my map was done sloppily, with walls not touching the ground, brushes going inside of each other, etc. So I'm planning on just doing it over, with optimization in mind.

11. DJive

aa DJive Cake or Death?

Positive Ratings:
    One thing i did was when i started.. I ONLY used grid 32 and 16. 32 was everything but stairs, It helped me learn the importance of staying on grid and having everything meet up /touch. In time i now use 8 as my main, and 2/4 for props.