Map not Compiling

Fawwles

L1: Registered
Mar 6, 2008
I'm making a basic map (I'm new to mapping) and whenever I try to compile this map, it doesn't get compiled. The compile log says:
** Executing...
** Command: "f:\program files\steam\steamapps\-\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vbsp.exe"
** Parameters: -game "f:\program files\steam\steamapps\-\team fortress 2\tf" "F:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\-\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\cp_X"

Valve Software - vbsp.exe (Sep 21 2007)
4 threads
materialPath: f:\program files\steam\steamapps\-\team fortress 2\tf\materials
Loading F:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\-\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\cp_X.vmf
Brush 77: bounds out of range
fixing up env_cubemap materials on brush sides...
ProcessBlock_Thread: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (0)

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (2485.3 0.0 21.3)
Leaf 0 contents:
Leaf 1 contents: CONTENTS_SOLID
viscontents (node 0 contents ^ node 1 contents): CONTENTS_SOLID
This means that none of the brushes in leaf 0 or 1 that touches the portal has CONTENTS_SOLID
Check for a huge brush enclosing the coordinates above that has contents CONTENTS_SOLID
Candidate brush IDs: Brush 77:

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (2552.0 0.0 -32.0)
Leaf 0 contents:
This means that none of the brushes in leaf 0 or 1 that touches the portal has CONTENTS_SOLID
Check for a huge brush enclosing the coordinates above that has contents CONTENTS_SOLID

ProcessBlock_Thread: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (0)

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (2538.7 0.0 -21.3)
Leaf 0 contents:

Processing areas...done (0)
Building Faces...done (0)
FixTjuncs...
PruneNodes...
WriteBSP...
HashVec: point outside valid range

** Executing...
** Command: "f:\program files\steam\steamapps\-\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vvis.exe"
** Parameters: -game "f:\program files\steam\steamapps\-\team fortress 2\tf" "F:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\-\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\cp_X"

Valve Software - vvis.exe (Nov 8 2007)
4 threads
reading f:\program files\steam\steamapps\-\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\cp_X.bsp
Error opening f:\program files\steam\steamapps\-\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\cp_X.bsp

** Executing...
** Command: "f:\program files\steam\steamapps\-\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vrad.exe"
** Parameters: -both -game "f:\program files\steam\steamapps\-\team fortress 2\tf" "F:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\-\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\cp_X"

Valve Software - vrad.exe SSE (Nov 8 2007)

Valve Radiosity Simulator
4 threads
[Reading texlights from 'lights.rad']
[34 texlights parsed from 'lights.rad']

Loading f:\program files\steam\steamapps\-\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\cp_X.bsp
Error opening f:\program files\steam\steamapps\-\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\cp_X.bsp

** Executing...
** Command: Copy File
** Parameters: "F:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\-\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\cp_X.bsp" "f:\program files\steam\steamapps\-\team fortress 2\tf\maps\cp_X.bsp"

The command failed. Windows reported the error:
"The system cannot find the file specified."

I have checked for leaks and there are none. When the game runs, it loads an older version of the map. Could somebody help me please?

Fawwles

Mar 6, 2008
That windows says the only problem is no spawn points, which I expected because I havn't placed spawns yet.

dirtyminuth

L5: Dapper Member
Nov 5, 2007
Welcome to tf2maps.net! Enjoy your stay :)

Take a look at this (from your log):

Brush 77: bounds out of range

There is an option to search for a brush by number (Think it's in the Edit or View tab in Hammer). See if there is anything odd with that brush.

Last edited:

Fawwles

Mar 6, 2008
I've found the problem. The team_control_point_master entity was inside the trigger_capture _area zone. I moved it out and the map compiled fine. Has anybody else ever had this problem?