Map leaks but generates no .lin file?

Syzzle

L1: Registered
Sep 9, 2012
Yesterday yyler and swordfish helped me a great deal with this already, pointing out that my map needs func_details after I asked for help. Did that, but I still have a problem.

When I compile my map, only bsp, no RAD or Vis and only have world geometry and point entities enabled, the compile log tells me I have a leak, but there is no .lin file in my map folder.

If I compile it with everything enabled, it does give me a leak and a .lin file, but the leak goes straight trough solid brushes, even if I delete / recreate the brushes it just generates another leak somewhere else.

The compile log is here: http://pastebin.com/91Zz2HNp
The .vmf file of my map is here: http://forums.tf2maps.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=5250&act=down

It's my first map, so it's probably really, really awful with lots of mistakes, but I couldn't find what I've done wrong here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jan 8, 2011
I don't know if this is the issue, but func_details cannot close a map. If the .lin goes straight through a solid brush, it's likely because that brush is a func_detail with nothing behind it to seal the map. Try blocking the leak with nodraws or skybox brushes.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
First off, I like the brushwork you did on the rocket silo. Nice work.

But, unfortunately, I think that silo is the issue. I noticed it isn't func_detailed.

I did a quick bsp/vis compile and looked at your portal file. The lower, inside part of the silo is fine, but when you get up to the gameplay area, you see...

thismightbeit.png

... this wonderful thing. Each blue line represents a cut in "visibility" (per-se) of the area. The more lines there are,the more cuts. In a room like this, you'll want to reduce the number of blue lines down to as low as possible. My suggestion: Take the whole silo curved area and func_detail it. Using whatever brush you want (nodraw is fine) surround the Silo cylinder with that, turning it into a long rectangle. That'll cut down on a lot of those weird cuts you have. You can also throw a hint brush in that square area in the wall to make it even more cleaner (but, that probably won't be necessary. The engine should cut there itself automatically).

There are a few other places where you'll want to look into reducing the cuts, this is just one area I found that I think has a few too many cuts in such a small area:

thismightbeit2.png

Hope that helps.

EDIT: I don't know if you already know of this tool, or if yyler and swordfish told you about it (if they didn't, shame on them!). You can copy in your compile log, and it'll help you locate errors that might not be so obvious, much like this one.

Last edited:

Syzzle

Sep 9, 2012
Okay, so I did what you said Frozen, I made walls around the cylinder and textured them with Nodraw and It sorta-worked! It compiled rather quickly and the compile log did not give me any leaks, no .lin was created and the interlopers compiler gives no errors!

Although, there is another problem now: http://imgur.com/a/6wSnl

So where the silo should be, there's this void glitch, so I probably messed up. Any idea where? I can reupload the new .vmf if needed.

Syzzle

Sep 9, 2012
That's probably because I turned it into a func_detail and had it switched off at the time of the screenshot, sorry for that.

I've looked around a bit, and it's the nodraw texture that creates that weird effect, I also can't walk trough it, it just blocks me, which is weird since nodraw shouldn't exist in the game?

http://forums.tf2maps.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=5250&act=down

There's the .vmf, I'll look into it further, but it'd be great if you / someone wanted to take a look.

Thanks so far for the help Frozen, and thanks for the compliment! :D

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
That's not how nodraw works, it just isn't drawn. It otherwise seals maps and acts as a wall. You don't want to fill the room with it, you want to make a column that just covers the rocket. That's what Frozen meant, anyway. If you can't smooth out the portal file with func_details and some basic sightline blockers, you will need to start using Hint brushes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Syzzle

Sep 9, 2012
Right, so I tried that again and surrounded it with nodraw without putting it trough the actual room, it didn't work apparently since my map started leaking trough random brushes again.

Sorry for the dumb questions by the way. :\

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
Looking at a nodraw face will result in the hall of mirrors issue. Never put them where the player can see them.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
Uh... I downloaded the VMF if the original post to see if I could find the problem for you, but VBSP compiles fine without error before I did anything... Both with only point entities and world, as well as with everything enabled.

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
Looking at a nodraw face will result in the hall of mirrors issue. Never put them where the player can see them.

This is incorrect.

Looking into the void causes the hall of mirrors effect. Nodraw just cuts out faces that it's touching.

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
This is incorrect.

Looking into the void causes the hall of mirrors effect. Nodraw just cuts out faces that it's touching.

That's not totally correct either. :O

The first part is, but all nodraw does is not draw any face that has a nodraw texture. If something behind the nodraw wall is still in the PVS, it'll get rendered normally. As soon as vis calculations hide whatever's behind the nodraw surface, then you start to get HOM type issues.

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
That's not totally correct either. :O

The first part is, but all nodraw does is not draw any face that has a nodraw texture. If something behind the nodraw wall is still in the PVS, it'll get rendered normally. As soon as vis calculations hide whatever's behind the nodraw surface, then you start to get HOM type issues.
And this isn't totally correct either. Assuming your map is sealed and the skybox is in your PVS, it will render the skybox (no HOM). I haven't tested this for leaky maps or situations in which you can't see the skybox.

Syzzle

Sep 9, 2012
Uh... I downloaded the VMF if the original post to see if I could find the problem for you, but VBSP compiles fine without error before I did anything... Both with only point entities and world, as well as with everything enabled.

Right, so I'm not sure what I did, but It sorted itself out, somewhat? I fiddled around with the brushes and func_detail a lot and it seems to work now without leaking!

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it!