Map ideas/ door help?

Draser

L3: Member
May 17, 2010
I admit this is a very newbie question, but how do you get 2 doors to slide outward at the same time?

Good example, 2fort, cage in back of spawn rooms. or Star wars bf2 death star doors.

(im making a map that resembles the SWBF2 death star, and im making it Ctf. good idea? bad idea?)

If you think its a good idea, when im done, ill post it on here, if you guys think its a bad idea, then ill just keep it for myself :)

Feb 18, 2009
Double doors are easy-peasy. I'll assume you know how to make a normal door? well to make double doors you just make 2 func_doors and set them to move in opposite directions. One trigger can open the 2 doors at the same time. Just make 2 of each output, one for each door. viola!

As for the map, that's a bit ambitious for a beginner mapper isn't it? Anyway, cross-over maps don't tend to do well in any game. Maps are designed to work with the game they were built for. The true test of whether it is a good or bad idea will come with play testing, but expect to have to make some major changes.

Draser

May 17, 2010
well, yeah, i admit im a minor mapper, i have made a couple of maps before, and one mod for 2fort (it kinda sucks so i scrapped the project.)
But the reason i think i might be able to do this map is because both games have the same basics, like, choose your class, head out, kill some, die some, respawn. etc one of the few things about bf2 is that it doesn't have sentries, and while that is a big issue, the map actually has some really good places for sentries.

But yeah, it will all depend on how it playtests.

Edit: Im trying, which trigger should i use? and how do i set it for the outputs?

Last edited:

Draser

May 17, 2010
I am fairly new at this, a step-by-step tut. would be nice :)

Draser

May 17, 2010
how do i make the prop_dynamic look like the door i want, not one of the props? im still pretty confused about this whole thing

EDIT: Scratch this, i got it, thanks a bunch :)

Last edited:

lucky

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 25, 2009
Each entity has properties...
Just change the box saying 'model'.
If there is not a door model that you want, then you are going to have to make the door look how you want yourself.

If you are making the door just out of brushes, then you don't need the prop dynamic.
I'm guessing if you're going for star wars you want your own look, which would be the case.

If you are still utterly and completely confused, even after reading the link on how to make doors over and over again, download ABS' resource pack
http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=4674
it has them made working already for you to copy-paste. I strongly suggest you look at them yourself to see what they consist of and how the entities interact with the ins and outputs.

edit:
Make brush how you want door to look.
ctrl + t
select func_door

everything for how to make the doors work is already in the links i gave.

Last edited:

Draser

May 17, 2010
Any ideas on how to make a curved hallway? Like, curving to the right, not sharp right turn?

lucky

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 25, 2009
^ I just linked him to it.

For curves, use the brush tool and make it "arch" instead of "block". Mess around with that.
Since it's a curve don't forget to make the whole thing a func_detail.

Draser

May 17, 2010
Thanks!!! i have the pack...don't really use it...lol.

But thanks!!

Since it's a curve don't forget to make the whole thing a func_detail.
Ok, i will...but can i ask, what does it do if i don't have it as a func_detail?

Aug 10, 2009
If you want to make a curved hall get your brush selection box to the area you want it to encompass (the inside or outside of the curve), then where it says "primitives" where entities usually are, change "box" to "arch" and simply select how many sides and degrees you want it to be.

Note that if your selection box isn't square, the walls of the arch will vary in thickness, the thickest being double the wall thickness you set. This thickness rule is also true for normal 'square' turns. So if you want the wall 16 units thick, set thickness to 8.

EDIT: func_detail simply tells VVIS (one of the compiling programs) to ignore it while making areaportals. If you want an example, go make a test map (open box with a skybox on top of it, like the ones Valve provided) and compile two arches, one as a func_detail, and one as a normal brush. When you have finished compiling (don't run the game) go to map -> load portal file and compare how many portals each one generates. In short: func_detailing complex shapes such as an arch saves you gargantuan amounts of time because VVIS doesn't have to calculate half as many portals.

Last edited: