Map Idea pl_Dive

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Lockhart, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Lockhart

Lockhart L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I've got a fully developed idea for a map called pl_Dive, but I'm pretty much new to mapmaking and was wondering if anyone else wanted to pick up the idea, or give me pointers for starting.

I'd like to make it myself, but I've been pretty busy lately, anyway contact me in this thread or via private message if you're interested in co-producing it or simply running off my idea.

Here's roughly what the map's like from a word document I typed about it.
    (The map's larger room with the pit is inspired by the book Subterranean by James Rollins. I'd make that room pretty unique if I had some good mapping skills.)

I really think the map has high potential. :) My drawing skills are very robust, but given time I could probably sketch each area.

2. Engineer

aa Engineer

Positive Ratings:
    Wouldnt pyros be too underpowered in the underwater tunnel?

3. Lockhart

Lockhart L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Well that's just the beginning section of the map, and they've always got a shotgun. Pyros would be really useful in the next section where they can just airblast people into the pit.

You can't make an area where every class is equally strong. They're good in different situations, by the end of the map all the classes would have had a strong point.

Scouts > The large pit room, train section with knockbacks
    Soldiers> Underwater section, tunnels
    Heavies> Underwater section, tunnels, last few areas
    Engineers> The first point, the train section
    Snipers> The large pit room (there's towers) tunnel, somewhat train station
    Spies> The train station especially, clever spies underwater
    Demomans> The tunnels, underwater section (especially blu) near first control point
    Pyros> Larger abyss room, tunnels, train station
    Medic> Decent all round, easy targets in the larger room probably

Not to mention the pyro class is generally much too strong in my opinion on payload maps. I like game sessions where it's more the other classes are working together to retain control of the cart. Especially between demomans, soldiers, medics, scouts, and heavies.

4. Micnax

aa Micnax I maek map

Positive Ratings:
    Just make sure you have some breathing spots down the submerged tunnel... It can be a big effect on gameplay if players are forced to almost drown pushing the cart.

5. Omega7321

Omega7321 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I recently have had this same exact idea, never had any prior map making experience, but now would be a good time do start ^_^

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. MoonFox

MoonFox L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    This is a cool idea... But I play flare gun pyro because I use utility and ranged damage... Forcing your players to adjust load out is not a good thing when designing your map, leave an ambush route or an exposed area that puris can freely use fire, other wise you've turned off players from using a class that may help, especially in the second stage

7. Omega7321

Positive Ratings:
    the neon annihiator and reserve shooter exist ;) sketching out a concept now

Edit: basing the design on my own concept, but I may take elements from the post if I feel it could contribute to the map, note that I have NO prior map making experience so any criticism is welcome :^) cheers to reviving an old thread!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  8. MoonFox

Positive Ratings:
    Yea I know they exist: but those are traditionally situational weapons

9. Hotel Detective

Hotel Detective L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Except 80% of Pyro's other secondaries are better/fire.

10. MoonFox

Positive Ratings:
    I mean unless your weird, you'd being using reserve shooter or the flare gun/scorch shot (detonator in certain circumstance) a lot of the time. fast switch, crits, or knockback

11. Hotel Detective

Hotel Detective L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Or Melter if you're using Phlog/good teammate.

12. Omega7321

Positive Ratings:
    I don't plan for it to be mostly underwater, the cart will be submerged near a few choke points, but there will be alternate ways to get around so everyone isn't focused into one tight area. here is a concept sketch of the first area of the map

[​IMG]

http://imgur.com/8JnYDGa

it's a rough sketch, and it's not final

Criticism would be appreciated.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  13. Omega7321

Positive Ratings:
    i mainly use the flare gun as well, you don't even have to be underwater for the most part, as there will be plenty of above-ground area around the track

14. hutty

aa hutty

Positive Ratings:
    And this is a situation.

but really, classes that have no bullets are the weakest underwater, so, demos.
    medics probably find it annoying because the cannot surf damage as easily.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. MoonFox

Positive Ratings:
    personally: water should be a detail, not a main feature

16. Omega7321

Positive Ratings:
    like i said, it would not be required to be underwater all of the time, a heavy-medic could be on the cart while projectile classes can shoot at them from above, also would be a great map for leveling up strange neons ;^)

17. Omega7321

Positive Ratings:
    and that entire first section was above ground, just like as well as how most of the map will likely be

18. theatreTECHIE

aa theatreTECHIE Yet another Techie for the net...

Positive Ratings:
    One thing to do it to make it and test it in an imp/gameday, as it may work and it may not. You only know for sure if an idea works by testing it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. Turnip

aa Turnip The 80s Vegetable

Positive Ratings:
    "also would be a great map for leveling up strange neons ;^)"
    2fort already exists.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. MoonFox

Positive Ratings:
    when in doubt: 2fort