Map Idea Overview

mtv22

L3: Member
Feb 28, 2009
So far this is my third map idea, hopefully I can get this one off the ground. I'd like to hear some of your ideas on what I should change, improve, ect. It's a payload map with two middle cap points, and an end point for a total of 3.

111111111.jpg

UKCS-Alias

Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?
aa
Sep 8, 2008
the current track lenght is more for 4 cps. and also, dont let the cart pass the same area twice. It makes people think they spend alot of hard work to get the cart back to where it was. I dont see if those parts are seperated by cliffs though but i just respond on the image like you want us to.

Further, on the red side the final point seems to be very close to the spawn. Allways make sure that it takes a few seconds to get into the battlezone after touching a respawn locker. If that is too close you get rocket/sticky/grenade/heavy/engineer spam because those tactics are the easiest to use then.

A good distance can be compared to goldrush at the final stage. There the red team is forced to walk a bit longer distance before reaching the cart. However, if its too long blue will win to often.

mtv22

Feb 28, 2009
Okay, I'll try to get 4 Cp's in there. And as for the cart passing the same area, it's on a cliff where you can only rocket jump/stick jump up to. I think I will put a CP before it that way you go backward, but you have pushed forward enough to not lose any ground.

I'm not quite sure where I'm going to put the spawn yet, but I will try to make it so they don't walk right outside to the final point, yet it's still in their base.

Mar

Banned
Feb 12, 2009
111111111xek.jpg

I'm not sure how you long your distance is, but it seems if that you can stand where the green dot is you can see all the way to the other green dot (your line of sight is that red line.) and that seems like quite away to see at once, and if too much action is going on (which would be happening, being that there are 2 cp right there) you might get an FPS drop.

TLDR Version: That red line is how far you can see. It's kinda long and might be bad for optimaztion.

Possible fix, move both CP's behind the cliff so they can't see each other, and maybe have another cliff, with a cut away for the track, to block your view.

mtv22

Feb 28, 2009
Sorry it's so poorly drawn. Those up and down arrows next to the track show where it goes up, and down. So I guess you could see all the way across, but I don't see how moving the CP would fix it, the track would still be there, right?

Mar

Banned
Feb 12, 2009
111111112a.jpg

The red is tracks, the green is CP's, and the black is an area that you might consider getting rid off. Have it cut through the cliff, and skip that entire bottom area. This allows you to still keep 3 cp's, keep it from being too long, and it avoids that very long line of sight that could cause problems.

PS. Don't start slicing your map up yet! Take my criticism with a grain of salt, it could be wrong or not the best. This is just a suggestion, so keep it in mind, but don't swear by it.

Last edited:

mtv22

Feb 28, 2009
Hmm. I kind of liked having that open area, but I wasn't planning on it being that open. So I guess the best thing to do is that. But, this would make it a very long stretch to the final point, unless I just put another one along the way...

Mar

Banned
Feb 12, 2009
Hmm. I kind of liked having that open area, but I wasn't planning on it being that open. So I guess the best thing to do is that. But, this would make it a very long stretch to the final point, unless I just put another one along the way...
If you move the CP's back, it takes the action away from there, so while you see it, not much it happening there and you comp doesn't have to render the actions.

EDITED for consiceness:

PS. Don't start slicing your map up yet! Take my criticism with a grain of salt, it could be wrong or not the best. This is just a suggestion, so keep it in mind, but don't swear by it.

Also, you already drawn on the x/z axis so you have a birds eye view. How about you draw different segments of it on the x/y axises so other people can see the elevation.

Last edited:

mtv22

Feb 28, 2009
Well I am thinking about putting a CP right after the cliff, that way they won't be pushing in awkward directions and prevent one team from being annihilated.

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
Hard to judge size from a drawing. Really you could scale it to a very small size or and enormous map. Until there are in game screens with ref models there's no way to tell.

I agree though that you don't want to make it too big, that can get old, especially with too few players.

I like the layout though, seems like it would be interesting to play. The bottom area where the track comes close to itself (in the black X) could just be a really tall /skinny ridge that almost completely blocks the view. Would be cool for visuals and optimization.

But it could be a few spires ^|_|^|_|^^^^^^^ (bad drawing eh?) instead of a solid wall, so maybe players could slip through or snipers would have a few 'windows'. But in reality it would be more like windows or upside down doorways than a wide open area.

mtv22

Feb 28, 2009
Yea, scaling is probably my worst ability. I have problems with it in real life, how the hell am I going to do this in a video game?! But as for the short cliff idea, I was thinking maybe I could put a wooden wall, like the ones in gravel pit. But I don't know how effective that would be.

Mar

Banned
Feb 12, 2009
Where would the forward spawns be on this map? It seems like Blu will have too do quite a bit of walking.

oh, and.

"Pushing in awkward directions" lol. :)

mtv22

Feb 28, 2009
Well what I mean by that is they are pushing away from their spawn, and then they are pushing towards it, allowing their support to get their sooner and be hard to defend.

As for the spawns, I am thinking about under the building between the first and 2nd cp. and then maybe in the building by the cliff for the final push.

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
Yea, scaling is probably my worst ability. I have problems with it in real life, how the hell am I going to do this in a video game?! But as for the short cliff idea, I was thinking maybe I could put a wooden wall, like the ones in gravel pit. But I don't know how effective that would be.

Just put some props around as you work, the player start points, door frame object, a kart.. telephone poles are good for something tall like a second floor height.

A wood wall could work. I'm thinking more of the borders in arena_ravine. Big huge sturdy walls. They could be terrain brushes, basically not just to block players view but to block the engines view as well. If you use fence objects it wouldn't help keep the performance up any.
If you used cliffs you could put nodraw walls inside (instead of wood walls) for same effect.

Mar

Banned
Feb 12, 2009
Wait, really? I thought y is the vertical axis.