Map Crashing

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by World Of Frisbee Crisis, Apr 20, 2008.

1. World Of Frisbee Crisis

World Of Frisbee Crisis L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Okay, so for some reason, my map crashes about 6-7 seconds after the match starts. So I looked in my compile log and all I could find is that "Can't load skybox file some_texture to build the default cubemap!" error. So, could this crash a map or is there any other reason for it to crash?

2. trainRiderJ

trainRiderJ L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    It's probably something else, but I'm not an expert. Does it always crash after a certain time, or is it when you go to a certain area that just happens to take that long to get to?

3. Foreverkul

Foreverkul L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Its not the sky box, thats a different problem.
    What kind of stuff do you have in the map? Triggers, entities, functions? If it is a CP map make sure all you're trigger_capturezones have an associated capture point or else entering that zone will cause it to crash. It could also be physics objects that screw each other up (though I doubt you're using any func_physbox)

4. rt3407v06p909

rt3407v06p909 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Before you start the map, type 'developer 2' at the console, and then review the output and/or paste it here in the thread if it doesn't lead you in the right direction. And/Or enable logging and look at the log.

If 'developer 2' doesn't provide enough detail, try 'developer 4'

Taken from here.

5. World Of Frisbee Crisis

World Of Frisbee Crisis L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
  6. kimangroo

kimangroo L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    I don't much about developer compile logs or whatever, but a quick look at the error message you posted would suggest:

1) Your info_player_teamspawn entities are not clear of your brushes. You need to place them slightly above the floor, not directly on it. I've never had a problem with placing them only 2 units above, but I've read posts that say you supposed to place them like 8 units or more above the floor.

2) Did you copy and paste some of your cp/capture zone stuff in your map. It looks like the indexes for some team_control_points are the same. You need make each index unique.

3) I've never run developer 2, so I don't know what errors are normal and what aren't but you're getting a lot of messages about trigger_capture areas and team_round stuff that I'm guessing your game entities are a bit messed up. Are you sure it's not the problem foreverkul mentioned? If not maybe you could start debuggin by removing all the capture points, team_whatever entities from your map using visgroups and then start adding them back in bit by bit, making sure all the fields are correct, names correspond etc.

7. Paria

Paria L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    just to add to the list of things that are potential problems

Detail prop model models/props_gameplay/security_fence512.mdl is using vertex-lit materials!
    It must use unlit materials!
    Loading: models/error.mdl
    Loading models/error.mdl

Im guessing the fence should be a prop_static

and at the very bottom

Warning: Deleting orphaned children of player - i have no clue what this is but it doesn't sound too good :D

but as mentioned above - spawnpoints/control point entities seem to be having issues.