Map crashing, 1 hour ago it wasnt. HELP

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by awatemonosan, Jul 12, 2010.

1. awatemonosan

awatemonosan L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Me and my group are working on some maps for something we plan on releasing to tf2maps in a couple of weeks. My map was working fine by in the last hour or so it started crashing randomly. Sometimes when i commit suicide, kill a turret or shoot a grenade. Its not that bad testing solo but when i get a group in there or some bots it lasts about 30 seconds before someone crashes it.
    I had a friend test the map out on his computer, it does the same thing.
    I am uploading my bsp, vmf and nav file. If anyone can figure out whats causing the crash i will devote my undieing love to you.

PLD_MUDPIT
    FIXED LINK

heres some screenshots aswell.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

HELP

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  2. nik

nik L12: Fabulous Member

Positive Ratings:
    what gamemode is this?

EDIT: I loaded it up, and I'm not sure what would cause it.. make sure you don't have any insane entities that are infinitely looping or something, that crashed a map for me once

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  3. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    Suicide, sentry death, grenades firing. They all have one thing in common: physics (ragdoll, destruction debris). It also only happens sometime. This tells me you have a power 4 displacement that is small. Such things are unstable and will cause a crash when a physics object hits them. Make all your displacements power 3 or 2 and you'll be fine.

4. NovaSilisko

aa NovaSilisko L42: Life, the Universe and Everything

Positive Ratings:
    Listen to him. HE IS SMART MAN!

5. awatemonosan

Positive Ratings:
    durring my drive i thought of that. Ill try it and let you know.

6. awatemonosan

Positive Ratings:
    I want to tell everyone all about it but i want to wait till i have something stable to officially announce it.

everyone is welcome to talk to me on steam about it though.

7. Grim Tuesday

aa Grim Tuesday

Positive Ratings:
    Just to comment on the map its self:

Never ever use HL2 textures, or models. They just don't fit with TF2. It looks to me like your ground and grassy mountain textures are HL2, and there are definatly TF2 equivalents that will make your map look better.

You said in the WIP thread that you wanted long sightilines. Bad idea. It lowers the usefulness of classes such as the heavy, while making (good) snipers overpowered. Add buildings, or rocks for cover.

8. Lancey

aa Lancey Currently On: ?????

Positive Ratings:
    They're not.

9. awatemonosan

Positive Ratings:
    yup, they arnt.
    The long sight lines are countered easily as a heavy by coming from the a/b signs and going under the center bunker.

Once this is actually ready for play im sure you will notice the balancing.