Map crash - engine hunk overflow

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by MicroxD, Nov 28, 2016.

1. MicroxD

MicroxD L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Hello everyone,

I have a problem with my map. I created a very big map and it crashes everytime with the error: engine hunk overflow.

Here's my compile log:

I see the "WARNING: Too many light styles on a face at (x, x, x)" error. Ignore this. I just have to remove my switchable lights. (I already did and it still crashes)

I looked at interlopers.net and they say about this error:
    "too many t-junctions to fix up!"

So heres my problem.
    What am I supposed to do?
    Should I make the map smaller?
    Are there other errors I missed?

If i remove all my displacements, the map works fine. (just without my displacements...)

Help me please!

2. Vel0city

aa Vel0city func_fish

Positive Ratings:
    This is what Interlopers actually says about the t-junctions error in your map:

Description:
    (from Jeff Lane, Valve) "VBSP does cleanup of edges where func_detail geometry meets world geometry to avoid getting visual cracks. One of the ways it does is this by elminating t-junctions. It sounds like you may have hit a limit of the number of those cleanups in the level.

Solution:
    If that is the case, you could fix the problem by reducing the number of func_detail brushes in the level, especially ones that touch non-detail geometry. It's probably a sign that you have too much complex brush geometry in the level, and would benefit from having some of it be model geometry instead."

It is worth noting that func_brush geometry does not perform the same fix ups on compile. Turning some of your func_detail geometry into func_brush geometry may solve this error.

The error message shows you that you have 4832 primitives (max 32768 causing all of this, resulting in 65541 t-junctions (max 65536)

You have like 5 too many t-junctions, but that's still 5 too many. You may have some brushwork that's just too complex for VBSP to handle. I've also had this happen once when I had an invalid brush. Check in Hammer with Alt+P for the problem checker, see what it says (and how to fix it). If you say turning your displacements off and it works, there's definitely a problem with those. Check to see if they aren't intersecting themselves, or are really stretched/compressed onto/into each other (or themselves).

• Like Like x 1
  3. MicroxD

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks for the fast answer! Alt+P says nothing. I have to look at my displacements. So i just have to remove the strange looking displacements? I also don't have many func_detail geometry.

My map has 10 parts. I created a minigame map. Every part is a different map. So i created 10 different maps and put them into one "map". I just don't understand why my map is broken. I tested each map and they worked. And now everything is broken. :D

4. MicroxD

Positive Ratings:
    Hello again. It seems like the map is working now. I removed many lights and optimized some parts of the map. I also increase the size of the map. I didn't find any broken displacements. But my entdata is very full. Is this a problem or should I try to reduce the entities? I heard this can cause a crash for players. Do you have some tipps for me?

5. Three Million

Three Million L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    How many entities do you have? Can you link the vmf?

6. Kill_the_Bug

Kill_the_Bug L14: Epic Member

Positive Ratings:
    Maybe you just have too many saxon hales in the map.

• Respectfully Disagree Respectfully Disagree x 2
  7. MicroxD

Positive Ratings:
    I have way too many entities.
    Here is my map.

Attached Files:

8. Three Million

Positive Ratings:
    Impressive map first of all. Second, I am going to try and optimize the map since I dont think it is entirely an entity problem. Though there are a ton on here. Also VVIS is not liking the map at all.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  9. MicroxD

Positive Ratings:
    You are my hero! Thank you very much!
    I really should learn how to optmize maps.

Are you gonna reupload my map?

10. Three Million

Positive Ratings:
    No problem! When I am done I will edit this post with a download link. Also can you send over the textures? The map has a few missing ones. This is so I can tell what is what, instead of staring at a bunch of white squares.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  11. MicroxD

Positive Ratings:
    Here are the materials.

Attached Files:

12. Vel0city

aa Vel0city func_fish

Positive Ratings:
    You might wanna make a post here with images or somethig explaining what you did, both for the OP and for others coming across this thread in the future. OP has to understand what you did so he can learn a thing or two and refrain from making these errors again.

13. Three Million

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks! I am still actively working on this, however winter has hit Seattle so I have been dealing with a few more personal important things as of late. I am going to try and finish it this weekend so you should see another update in a few days or so. Currently the map takes about 2 hours to compile on my computer, so some progress has been made.

Thats the plan

14. MicroxD

Positive Ratings:
    It's been a long time. Do you still work on my map?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017