Map Compiler Issues

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Anda02, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Anda02

Anda02 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Well, here we go.

First I used just the normal Hammer compiler, just to see if it worked. Apparently, not though, as it crashed fairly quickly.

So I went along an alternate route, I tried manually compiling. I first tried to run my VMF through VBSP but unfortunately that crashed as well (see a pattern?). SO I compiled the bare BSP in hammer and then ran that BSP through VVIS, which performed like a charm. Then I moved onto VRAD, which after complaining that none of my props could be found crashed fairly quickly.

So, can anyone think of any ideas?

All along my map making process, I have had horrible issues with simply compiling my map. I have only managed to create one working version, and then I found many bugs and other various issues which I had to fix.

2. brick

brick L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Why not post the compile log, one should be created in the directory that the map is being compiled in.

3. Anda02

Positive Ratings:
    Here is my ridiculously HUGE compile log. I apologize for not posting it first.

4. brick

Positive Ratings:
    Well the lowest one is the most recent. That file contains all the complies under the name.

One thing I noticed right away is writing d:program filessteamsteamappsanda02sourcesdkbinorangeboxbina rena_farmhideout.bsp
    15 hours, 11 minutes, 40 seconds elapsed.

15 hours is not a good compile time. Also why are there no / for the file directory. You need to use func_detail to help with portal calculations.

Could not find lights.rad in lights.rad.
    Trying VRAD BIN directory instead...
    Warning: Couldn't open texlight file D:program FilesSteamsteamappsanda02sourcesdkbinorangeboxbinl ights.rad.

This is another bad thing. Sounds like the path to the compiler is wrong. You can check in hammer under the options.

Under build programs
    BSP
    $SteamUserDir\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vbsp.exe
    VIS
    $SteamUserDir\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vvis.exe
    VRAD
    $SteamUserDir\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vrad.exe

There also seems to be holes. Try to just compile with the bsp and load the point file to fix the holes. Point file is under map, load point file.

If there are no holes, you can try turning off certain object with vis groups to narrow down your problem. Also cordan can do the same thing with this.

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (-1570.9 0.0 107.0)
    Leaf 0 contents:
    Leaf 1 contents: CONTENTS_SOLID
    viscontents (node 0 contents ^ node 1 contents): CONTENTS_SOLID
    This means that none of the brushes in leaf 0 or 1 that touches the portal has CONTENTS_SOLID
    Check for a huge brush enclosing the coordinates above that has contents CONTENTS_SOLID
    Candidate brush IDs: Brush 32400:

Try going to that brush id. I think its ctrl-shift-b and put in Brush 32400. Usually that message is caused by holes, but never know.

Did you try renaming the map and recompiling it?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  5. Anda02

Positive Ratings:
    Hmm all this is odd, this is with manually compiling without Hammer, and the logs it made. While compiling In hammer however, I've never gotten issues like this. I'll check this out.

Also let it be known that when in VVIS manually my compile time is more like 30 minutes than 15 hours ;)

6. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    Do you have the SDK Launcher set to the correct game configuration?

7. Anda02

Positive Ratings:
    Yep, I always make sure of that.

8. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    Oh wait.... what is the problem when you compile in Hammer? The missing resource error is an issue when trying to run the compilers directory, and nobody really knows why that I could find. You won't be able to do it like that.

I'd try solving the Hammer issue... or go look up VBCT.

9. Anda02

Positive Ratings:
    I'm trying VBCT now I'll get back with its results.

10. Anda02

Positive Ratings:
    Well, regardless (it works perfectly and doesn't crash and solves almost all of my issues) I still have the problem with it not finding any of my textures.

For Example:
    material "overlays/stain015" not found.
    material "signs/arrow_up_red" not found.
    material "signs/capture_zone" not found.
    material "signs/sign045" not found.

I'm a little confused on what to do about it.

11. TracerDX

TracerDX L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    I get this all the time. Reconnect to steam. Always fixes it.

I think it has something to do with the SDK getting detached from Steam somehow, so it can't access the resource files. Like all those material errors...

12. brick

Positive Ratings:
    That would be funny if that was the problem.

13. TracerDX

Positive Ratings:
    You think its funny, but its reality. Steam protects its resources in stupid ways. That's funny to me.

Like I said, when I get those material not found errors, shutting down steam and restarting always fixes it. Maybe its because I run Vista, the hated version of Windows, but w/e works.

14. Anda02

Positive Ratings:
    No, reconnecting to Steam, or even restarting my whole computer did nothing to solve that issue. I sent it to a friend to compile to see if he can do it. Hopefully it worked. But no that solution did not solve this issue.

15. TracerDX

Positive Ratings:
    Ok, now its funny. Dunno what to say. Maybe your install is fubar.