map and pings

BigBangTheory

L1: Registered
Apr 3, 2012
[RESOLVED] map and pings

Hi , I am seeking help regarding the continued development of a map I have been making. It seems that no matter what I do moving forward in SDK, that compiled versions cause ping instability. The map will compile fine, looks good and works, but everyone's ping might drift from normal value to double its normal value and back down (unstable pings)
Any experts able to take a peek or offer advice? I really hate to give up on this as it has been a long term project

Last edited:

BigBangTheory

Apr 3, 2012
I'm pretty sure that's a server problem. Unless you're using physics objects and such... but I'm sure that's handled client-side and not server-side.

well I can let the server run other maps and everyone's pings are stable.. plus I have seen this behavior on more than one server. I am pretty sure it is not a server issue, but due to the map. Its like I just can not move forward on this map and am stuck at current revision. I am using some physics objects, but nothing has changed with those for sometime now

Wander

L3: Member
Sep 16, 2010
Do you have any ragdolls or dynamic props with a player model (like a heavy)?

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
Do you have a 3D skybox? If yes, are you sure you implemented it correctly? We once had someone with a map that mysteriously caused everyone's ping to go up by around 200-300, only on that map, and every version of it. Finally I noticed he had left a sky_camera in the main map, which means not only was the entire map rendering at once, (along with the network traffic for every player going to every player), it was rendering twice.

BigBangTheory

Apr 3, 2012
Do you have any ragdolls or dynamic props with a player model (like a heavy)?

OK.... yes, I have a spycrab room (2) and I have an example of the spy doing the regular taunt and also another model actually spycrabbing as examples... could you ellaborate on the thinking that made you post this? this a no no????

Wander

L3: Member
Sep 16, 2010
OK.... yes, I have a spycrab room (2) and I have an example of the spy doing the regular taunt and also another model actually spycrabbing as examples... could you ellaborate on the thinking that made you post this? this a no no????

Their movements seem to be sent over the network, each animating player model seems to add around 10kb extra network traffic for each player every single second (normal maps have around 10-20 kb/s, so with 2 animating player models you are pretty much giving people the traffic as if they were playing 2 games at once)

To fix it, you can go to the properties of their prop_dynamic and set Disable Bone Followers to Yes, then it wont send all that stuff over the network non-stop

BigBangTheory

Apr 3, 2012
Their movements seem to be sent over the network, each animating player model seems to add around 10kb extra network traffic for each player every single second (normal maps have around 10-20 kb/s, so with 2 animating player models you are pretty much giving people the traffic as if they were playing 2 games at once)

To fix it, you can go to the properties of their prop_dynamic and set Disable Bone Followers to Yes, then it wont send all that stuff over the network non-stop
I will give that a shot! Thank you for your time and advice. Actually 4 of them since 2 in red and 2 in blue

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
I guess it doesn't really need to be said that you need a sealed map or else the PVS system doesn't work and the full map is rendered.

BigBangTheory

Apr 3, 2012
I guess it doesn't really need to be said that you need a sealed map or else the PVS system doesn't work and the full map is rendered.

Probably a lot of things needs to be said to me :unsure: I could definitely use a good map making guru that could polish out the fine details that gets into optimization. Anyone available, interested, for hire?

I am able to continue now... seems the setting with the player model has stopped the problem - thanks!

Last edited:

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
Probably a lot of things needs to be said to me :unsure: I could definitely use a good map making guru that could polish out the fine details that gets into optimization. Anyone available, interested, for hire?

You're unlikely to get a optimisation babysitter, but asking in the steam chat and reading guides can help.

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
It's really something you should learn about yourself, as it has a major effect on the basic structure of a map. It's not something you can just drop in 6 months down the road when you're working on your detailing.

There are hundreds of web pages out there for optimizing Source engine games, and even more for Quake based games (which share a lot of features with Source). This is just the first one I found on a quick google, should be able to get you started:

http://www.nodraw.net/2009/12/optimization-in-source-a-practical-demonstration/