Making the flag picked up icon different

CriticalFeesh

L1: Registered
Mar 8, 2022
I need help editing the flag icon that appears at the bottom of the screen to the intel carrier. I dont know where to place the .vtf and I also dont know what to put in the "icon" field of the item_teamflag. I have tried putting it into my custom materials folder and linking the teamflag there: resulted in an error texture. I have tried putting it into the tf2's vgui folder, also resulted in an error.

Any help is... well... helpful :D

Solution
D
You need to place the icon anywhere within the game's materials folder (tf/materials in your Team Fortress 2 installation directory) and then set the icon property of the flag to ../(path to your icon).

An example would be putting my .vmf and .vtf each named "my_cool_icon" inside tf/materials/hud. If I would do that, I would need to set the icon property of the flag to "../hud/my_cool_icon" (without the extension!).

Another example would be to use the custom directory - placing my texture files into tf/custom/(Some name, you can think of your own)/materials/hud would have the same result as if I placed it into tf/materials/hud (the same path from the above example).

Do note that it's the .vmf you...
D

Deleted member 33500

You need to place the icon anywhere within the game's materials folder (tf/materials in your Team Fortress 2 installation directory) and then set the icon property of the flag to ../(path to your icon).

An example would be putting my .vmf and .vtf each named "my_cool_icon" inside tf/materials/hud. If I would do that, I would need to set the icon property of the flag to "../hud/my_cool_icon" (without the extension!).

Another example would be to use the custom directory - placing my texture files into tf/custom/(Some name, you can think of your own)/materials/hud would have the same result as if I placed it into tf/materials/hud (the same path from the above example).

Do note that it's the .vmf you need to put into the icon property - when the .vmf is loaded, it will automatically try to load your .vtf based on the path you set in the .vmf. Also keep in mind that the shader used for your .vmt (the thing on the first line in the quotes) should be UnlitGeneric.

Also remember to look up on how to pack your maps, otherwise other people will not see your icon!

Hope this helps, if not, I could attempt to help further ^^

Solution

CriticalFeesh

L1: Registered
Mar 8, 2022

Do note that it's the .vmf you need to put into the icon property - when the .vmf is loaded, it will automatically try to load your .vtf based on the path you set in the .vmf. Also keep in mind that the shader used for your .vmt (the thing on the first line in the quotes) should be UnlitGeneric.

Also remember to look up on how to pack your maps, otherwise other people will not see your icon!

Hope this helps, if not, I could attempt to help further ^^
Works like a charm! Thanks!
At first it didnt work, but then I looked at the console and see that I needed an _red and _blue equivalent of the .vmt and .vtf in the materials folder too, but the icon property in the briefcase itself only needs the generic title.