Making people notice signs more.

UKCS-Alias

Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?
aa
Sep 8, 2008
I've always kind of wondered what makes people go left out of spawn in Badwater, when RED initially spawns and go to the first point. As far as I know there are no signs telling you to go left rather than right, but I have never seen anyone go right and wonder where the hell they just ended up.
People did make that mistake quite often in the start. But in valve maps people get quickly used to the maps as most servers overplay them. Many servers where you join in half of the players know the way and the other half just follows them. On the server where i played that map came only on once every 3 hours for just 20 minutes. There those direction problems showed up the first 2 days and after that people finaly got used to it.

The mistake he made is to have just 1 sign. instead have 2 signs at least and have 1 a bit more to the left so if they turn left they can still spot it and 1 to the right to let people confirm they walk the right way. And both should be visible on leaving the area in front of it. maybe even have some part of the wall sticking out that forces them to move right.

Blocking the way isnt needed but its the easiest thing to do.

Sgt.Sausage

L420: High Member
Dec 5, 2008
In badwater when new points are capped if the spawn room has multiple exits it rotates you so you are facing the right door. Well layed out pl maps this works great on. But cp maps this wont work to well.

Open Blade

Nov 30, 2007
I wouldn't worry about your signs dude. That red sign is big and obvious, no matter what texture you choose for the wall behind it. Trust me, people see it, but sometimes they just want to explore and go where they want to go, it's part of the game. If your map gets played enough, people will have the layout memorized soon enough and won't need the signs soon after.

brick

L3: Member
Apr 12, 2008
You could do what I did.

cp_silo_c-alpha5_dev0002.jpg

I noticed people pay attention to these models more than overlays. So I put the name of the cps in the model and now no one get lost. If they look at the signs.

AntonJ3000

I am inactive and make horrible maps
Oct 29, 2008
You could do what I did.

cp_silo_c-alpha5_dev0002.jpg

I noticed people pay attention to these models more than overlays. So I put the name of the cps in the model and now no one get lost. If they look at the signs.

That looks really confusing, it looks like, go to left or right for all of those?

Open Blade

Nov 30, 2007
Living quarters? So people know where to go to if they want to go take a nap or shower? Hahahahaha.

Signs are important but overly emphasized in my opinion. Players new to a map will certainly look for signs where to go, but they also usually just follow other players, because they assume those players know where they are going. If your map is layed out well, signs help but the map structure and layout should help guide players where to go. This is why alot of top mappers believe in reduced amount of routes, so that your map is not a maze and therefor players getting lost often. I always say, if a player has been running around your map for an hour, they should have a fairly good idea of where they are going without use of signs. If it's been an hour and they still don't know the map that well, it's probably too confusing of a layout, signs or no signs.

SiniStarR

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Mar 31, 2009
I think a perfect example is the last round on goldrush, theirs always at least 1 person who goes the long way on defense when they can just run though the other spawn, but even then it's something that really isn't shown by signs. I think you have to make it obvious to some players so that other players who don't know, conform and follow teammates.

Stormcaller3801

L5: Dapper Member
Jul 5, 2009
If I could make another suggestion? If you notice people are going the wrong way at a given point, put up a sign after they make the turn. In the example, they turn left and follow the track. So set up a couple of arrows on the walls pointing back the way they came from.

Cameron:D

L6: Sharp Member
Sep 28, 2008
I've always kind of wondered what makes people go left out of spawn in Badwater, when RED initially spawns and go to the first point. As far as I know there are no signs telling you to go left rather than right, but I have never seen anyone go right and wonder where the hell they just ended up.

People naturally turn left when turning a corner without knowing what way they want to go.

Burnzoire

L1: Registered
Jun 13, 2009
Some ideas:

Use some ground cover such as a stack of timber (or even a sign) and angle it towards the opening.

Try a road or path that indicates the main direction of travel.

Use obvious displacement such as a bank or ridge that curves towards the desired direction.

3Suns

L1: Registered
Jul 11, 2009
LMAO!

Connect Four looks SO happy, rocket jumping over walls and shit, and just going on his (her?) merry way! Very cool. Sometimes, maps just need to be explored.

Lots of fun!