Making monster move...

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by foxmulder, Dec 20, 2009.

1. foxmulder

foxmulder L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I'm stumped on this one. Here's the situation:
    Currently I have a spider (Prop_Dynamc) parented to a sled (Prop_Physics) so it can move around the map.

I resorted to using a "sled" because it works fairly well on ramps and kinda good on stairs. But the phyics interaction with the environment would look a lot better if the collisions came from spider's dynamic animations rather than the crappy sled.
    So how can I do this?

Tired, spend the whole day trying to come up with a solution. Hope my question isnt too vague
    Oh yea the movement is being controlled through a sourcemod plugin just in case your wondering.

This is the physics model it uses now
    [​IMG]

This is the Physics model I would like to use
    [​IMG]

The model
    [​IMG]

The Animations
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  2. Micnax

aa Micnax I maek map

Positive Ratings:
    If it's going in a set direction and such, then you could just use func_tracktrain and path_track

3. foxmulder

Positive Ratings:
    Well it doesn't really go in a set direction, it follows players around and moves towards enemies. They also go towards specifics points such as: sentries, teleporters, capture points, health packs and lockers.

4. Tapp

Tapp L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    The only way to give it an ai would be to make a npc_manhack and weld them together, then grab an ai_relationship and tell the manhack to hate everything you just mentioned. I don't think it will work, but that's your best bet.

5. foxmulder

Positive Ratings:
    The AI is no problem that's already been dealt with. Let me try to rephrase my question:
    How can I have a prop_physics follow a prop_dynamics animations?

My end goal is to have the spider (Prop_Dynamc) parented to the same model (Prop_Physics) so it can collide with the map correctly. I need the Prop_Dynamic to play the animations and I need the Prop_Physics so I can apply physic forces to it.

Like If the Spider is walking and one foot is up in the air then the physics model will also have one foot in the air. Or if the spider is jumping with its legs up then the physics model also has its "legs" jumping as well.

Maybe bone merge?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009