Making map title different from filename?

PL-7764

L6: Sharp Member
Aug 4, 2009
I'm wondering how to make my map's name that appears on the "You're on your way to ..." screen different from the name of the .bsp file. I'd think this is possible since I've seen it done in official maps - for example, Badwater's .bsp is called "pl_badwater" but it says "You're on your way to Badwater Basin" on the loading screen. Also, Well's three versions had "(CP)", "(CTF)", and "(Arena)" after their titles prior to that information always being displayed on the loading screen (they might still, I've never gone to check).

I want to know this because the name I want to use for a new map has an apostrophe in it, but I don't want to have to deal with any compatibility issues that could/would arise from punctuation being used in a file name.

Schinken

L1: Registered
Aug 6, 2009
You can o: map->map properties->
try-> "name" or "Map Description/Title" or "Chapter Title Message". One of these will change the "You're on your way to..." Mapname, to be sure just use all three ;)

edit: since the update there appears "payload" or "arena" under the mapname, it's just pl_ or arena_ for the .bsp,
so to take it easy:

Mapname: map->map properties -> etc...
Maptype: pl_*.bsp, arena_.bsp*, cp_.bsp*,ctf_.bsp* etc..

Last edited:

PL-7764

Aug 4, 2009
I tried all three of those and none of them worked. :( I guess I'll just have to settle for having an apostrophe in information about it but not in-game.

Washipato

L3: Member
Jun 22, 2009
I found no way to solve this

There must be a txt file in the cfg that sets the names for valve maps

Schinken

Aug 6, 2009
Okay, i'm sorry i really thought one of these should work...
but what's the problem not renaming for example: pl_badwater to pl_badwater_basin? (or for your map XX_XYZ_ABC? o:

NovaSilisko

L42: Life, the Universe and Everything
aa
Feb 3, 2009
Badwater's name is hard coded.

Ergo: It's impossible.

Waif

L7: Fancy Member
Mar 22, 2009
I say we ask this as a request to valve.

There are heaps of maps here that would benefit from the ability to change the intro name.

Schinken

Aug 6, 2009
i just found this for the maptypes:

Code:
{
	"gametype_1"
	{
		"prefix"	"cp_"
		"name"		"capture point"
	}
	"gametype_2"
	{
		"prefix"	"tc_"
		"name"		"territorial control"
	}
	"gametype_3"
	{
		"prefix"	"pl_"
		"name"		"payload"
	}
	"gametype_4"
	{
		"prefix"	"ctf_"
		"name"		"capture the flag"
	}
	"gametype_5"
	{
		"prefix"	"arena_"
		"name"		"arena"
	}
}

PL-7764

Aug 4, 2009
My reason for wanting to change the name (as stated in the original post) was not to put the gamemode in the title, but to include punctuation (in this case, an apostrophe) in my map title without putting it in the filename and potentially causing incompatibility due to the use of punctuation in a file's name. I just used the game type info included for Well as an example of how Valve was able to make map titles appear different in-game from the .bsp names.