Making grass from blend textures doesnt work

CyanideNoodles

L2: Junior Member
Oct 1, 2012
You know those tf2 maps that use blended grass textures? Like borneo? You know how it has little spikes of grass coming out? I can not for the life of me get that to be so with mine. I even decompiled boreno just to grab the texture and test in my own map...Can someone help me?

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
map > map properties

Then change the 'detail .vbsp file' and 'detail material file' to whichever is used by the blend texture you're using. (if you're using borneo's grass, just open up pl_borneo's vmf and copy the values).

You won't see them appear in hammer, but they'll appear ingame.

CyanideNoodles

Oct 1, 2012
map > map properties

Then change the 'detail .vbsp file' and 'detail material file' to whichever is used by the blend texture you're using. (if you're using borneo's grass, just open up pl_borneo's vmf and copy the values).

You won't see them appear in hammer, but they'll appear ingame.

I'm not sure I understand..I'm pretty stupid when it comes to this stuff so I'm sorry.
Right now I'm using harvest/ground_to_green_grass_001 and I've seen this texture with grass poking out but I have no idea how to make the grass stick out. I've read stuff about noise or whatever, but it didn't work. I need some real basic instructions on how to do this. I hope someone can help me out.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I explained everything you need to do.
  1. Open the map properties from the map menu at the top of hammer.
  2. Open the map peroperties of pl_borneo (search for the valve maps decompiled thread to get the vmf)
  3. Change those two fields to the fields that pl_borneo uses.
  4. Then everything will work.

killohurtz

Distinction in Applied Carving
aa
Feb 22, 2014
If you have A Boojum Snark's resource pack installed, the texture browser will show you which materials have detail sprites enabled (denoted by white labels, which list the specific sprites it can use). Make sure you're using one of these when you test for detail sprites.

MRP5_BT.jpg

CyanideNoodles

Oct 1, 2012
I explained everything you need to do.
  1. Open the map properties from the map menu at the top of hammer.
  2. Open the map peroperties of pl_borneo (search for the valve maps decompiled thread to get the vmf)
  3. Change those two fields to the fields that pl_borneo uses.
  4. Then everything will work.
How do I do the noise thing to add the grass tho? or does it appear all on it's own

killohurtz

Distinction in Applied Carving
aa
Feb 22, 2014
The compiler will do it for you. The .vbsp file you choose is technically a script that tells VBSP (the first of the three compile processes) to randomly generate the detail sprites on your texture.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I don't know where you got the idea you need to add noise to a displacement. Don't do that, it results in a terrible mess 99% of times.

The grass appearance is defined in the vbsp file, so any areas of your displacement that use the grass will have it when the map is compiled. As long as you've got some of the grassy material alpha painted, you'll see grass after the compile

CyanideNoodles

Oct 1, 2012
s42sd4.jpg

Thanks but this is what happens when I use a jungle blend and when I use harvest/gound_to_green_grass001. Back when steam pipe happened my textures got destroyed and I never got them all back. I'm assuming this is part of it.

Can someone help me get this texture? I have no idea what it's called for the grass..Having grass would really help me out here.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Your detail sprites need to match the ones in the blend texture VMT. So either make a custom blend texture (they're easy to figure out) or use a jungle texture. You can't mix and match otherwise.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
I'm not quite sure what you're doing but you're doing something wrong.

x4dKfQG.png

TMHNwWw.png

lxcInYn.png

If using the same textures and detail props as Borneo doesn't work for you, you game files are corrupt or you have not set up Hammer for TF2 correctly.

CyanideNoodles

Oct 1, 2012
I'm not quite sure what you're doing but you're doing something wrong.

x4dKfQG.png

TMHNwWw.png

lxcInYn.png

If using the same textures and detail props as Borneo doesn't work for you, you game files are corrupt or you have not set up Hammer for TF2 correctly.
I'm doing what you are telling me to do..I've been mapping for years and when steampipe came out it just destroyed my files. So I did get a ton of default stuff corrupted. I'm thinking I don't have the materials for the grass sprites and was wondering if someone could send me. It'd make sense that I don't have the materials since it's appearing as a missing texture.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
If you're missing core game files it's better that you validate TF2 a few times. But I think it's more likely that you're doing something wrong, because (1) steampipe didn't mess up anyone else's install to my knowledge and (2) if you truly couldn't see the trainyard detail sprites then you would have problems on official maps. Did you set the detail sprites to detail_trainyard.vbsp and detail/detailsprites_trainyard and are you trying that with the regular jungle blend textures?

I'm not going to send you my detail sprite files because that's a fix for the larger problem of something you're doing being wrong; I just don't have enough info to know exactly what.

Again, the Harvest blends won't work without being edited!

Zed

Certified Most Crunk™
aa
Aug 7, 2014
Have you downloaded the Jungle content?

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Have you downloaded the Jungle content?
This is probably it.
The content in borneo isn't actually IN TF2's files, it's in the borneo bsp. So if Sean was using custom grass (more than likely) you'll have to extract it from the borneo bsp before being able to use it.
(sorry for not saying this earlier, I assumed that as you said you had the borneo grass blend texture already that you'd extracted all of the files packed with borneo's bsp)