Making custom "forcefield" textures with an "inside" and "outside" part

kimangroo

L3: Member
Mar 15, 2008
Is there a way to define an outside and an inside to a custom texture without making it a water texture?

Basically I'm trying to make a kind of forcefield texture, and so want to use some fogging and maybe a warp effect when players enter the texture but of course I can't have the underwater sounds and splashes that come automatically if you define your texture as water.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

Last edited:

WarMecha

L2: Junior Member
Feb 10, 2008
Dont think this is possible as far as I know, but I could be wrong. The only thing I could suggest is it use some environmental affects inside the textured area to approximate the same thing.

Dec 25, 2007
If you make a Refract texture, with "$nocull" 1 and an animated bump map, put it on a non-solid func_brush, and you'll get nice refraction effects from inside & outside. I don't know whether fog is possible or not, but you could possible use a func_dustcloud with the same volume for that effect.

Edit: Check out the HL2 material models/props_combine/com_shield001a for an example.

kimangroo

L3: Member
Mar 15, 2008
You're a star velvet! :thumbup: I checked that out in hammer and with the right textures and stuff should look great. Couldn't get the fog to work, but I'll work on that or just add other environmental effects as suggested. Thanks again.