Making an invisible platform that allows ragdolls to fall through

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by MoonFox, Aug 5, 2017.

1. MoonFox

MoonFox L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    I am making a ctf map over a gorge, and there is some sci-fi elements, so what I want is if the players fall off the bridges connecting the bases, they can hurry and rush back to a safe area before the heat below cooks them. but if they don't get back in time, they'll die and I want their ragdolls to fall to the bottom. any suggestions how to make this?

2. henke37

aa henke37

Positive Ratings:
    Ragdolls tend to fall thru pretty much all entities by default.

3. MOCOLONI

MOCOLONI L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    They collide with prop_static's. Perhaps disabling collisions on a prop and clipping the areas with a Clip tool texture may be what OP needs.

• Like Like x 1
  4. henke37

aa henke37

Positive Ratings:
    prop_static is special. It's not really really an entity at runtime.

5. MOCOLONI

MOCOLONI L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Just pointed that out since you said 'ragdolls fall through pretty much anything'.

6. MoonFox

Positive Ratings:
    I seriously wasn't notified of these responses... thanks for the tips, but any idea to have this apply to a transparent platform that will drop ragdolls.

7. Necrσ

aa Necrσ

Positive Ratings:
    Generally you would want to make whatever platform the players stand on a func_brush with the solidity set to never solid, then add another brush textured with the player clip tool texture to stop players falling through. This will block players but allow everything else through, so you might have a problem with projectile splash.

For reference, this article is helpful for finding the right tool textures to use

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. MoonFox

Positive Ratings:
    thanks

9. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
    Just doing a solid func brush would be enough to let them fall through. The downside being that stickies would stick to it, but players would still fall through. Any kind of dynamic entity like this will do. It's the same reason you fall through the ground if you die over the spot a payload blows up, since the model is dynamic. We fought this a ton blowing up Stoneyridge's final tower.

• Thanks Thanks x 1