Making an HUD element using game_text

l3eeron

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Jan 4, 2008
So I have a push-ctf map, the intel returns to base after 30 seconds. I would like to show a flag return countdown timer of some fashion. A clock that starts ticking down when the intel is dropped, then resets on pickup would be ideal, but either of two things will work:

1 - A simple 30 second on screen/text countdown

2 - A progress bar. Maybe a row of 30 periods, where every second one disappears

Not that crazy of an idea. But for the life of me, I can not get it to work. The closest I got was starting the countdown. Once I fired the chain of commands to display the text, picking up the intel was supposed to stop the text and reset everything, but my system doesnt allow for that. And now I'm all out of ideas to fiddle with. I know there's a right way to do this with a mouth counter and a timer, does anyone know where a good tut is? Or give me some direction here, I'm really frustrated.

I remember dom_complex having the type of text I want to use. But, the ent systems in that are so complex (pun intended) I can't tell wtf is what.

:bored::confused: help me Obi Wan

Last edited:

TMP

Ancient Pyro Main
aa
Aug 11, 2008
Not really that complex.

Look up Zpreszi or whatever his name's countdown system. It's good.

Ezekel

L11: Posh Member
Dec 16, 2008
i made a health meter for odd mainframe using 20 | + a percent number.
the meter works properly, but i never got the mainframes to output data consistantly.
my warning is this: be prepared for a lot of tedious work using logiccases and addouput message

l3eeron

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Jan 4, 2008
I can't friggen believe it, but I got it. I even have it set up to count down the last 15 seconds only. When the flag is dropped, it knows when to start displaying "15-14-13-12 etc" In the very bottom lower left corner.

flag with 30 return time.

Start the countdown:

flagdrop-> enable 1 sec timer, add 1 to counter each fire ->counter (sends output to a new case each second)->logic case ouput value set to 15-30 to count down the last 15 seconds->game text

Stop/reset the countdown:

flag onpickup and onreturn -> disable timer -> counter setvalue 0

..I can stop pulling my hair out now.