Making a water texture help

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by TravisTouchdown, Jun 29, 2014.

1. TravisTouchdown

TravisTouchdown L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    HI all

I would like some please. I would like to make a custom water texture to use in one of my mvm maps. I have made custom textures before but I am not sure what to set my vtf and vmt to. I will post the photo I was hoping to make into water. Can someone tell me what settings I need to use?

[​IMG]

2. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    What your picture shows is known as "caustics", and it's the effect of water refracting onto the bottom of a pool. I don't think any Source games have any caustics in them, so I wouldn't worry about it. Somebody made an animated caustic texture that you could turn into an overlay to put on the bottom of your pool, but people are more likely to be distracted because they're not used to seeing them in this game.

3. TravisTouchdown

TravisTouchdown L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I dont want it to be the bottom of the pool. I want that to be made into a water texture to play on top of the no draw box that way my buddys can see it and jump into it and swim around like they would any other water texture. I would make it into one myself but I am not sure what kinda qualities a water texture needs.

4. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    No, see, that stuff doesn't appear at the top of the surface of water in real life. Ever. It's on the bottom, under the water.

5. nightwatch

aa nightwatch

Positive Ratings:
    [​IMG]

This shows the effect a bit more honestly. If it were on the water's surface, you wouldn't be able to see it underwater like you can here.