Making a new map, stuck on one of the gags.

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by BlockBuilder57, Aug 21, 2015.

1. BlockBuilder57

BlockBuilder57 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Hello! I am working on a map called pass_blocked and I need your help! The map focuses on an outer space feel to it, so I need to get asteroids in the map so people can hop to and fro on. I need help on that, and the main gag of the map: blocking routes and making new ones. Every time a team scores, their spawnroom gets pushed back, and I don't know quite how to do that. I know I need to parent all the entities to a func_tanktrain + paths, I got that, but I need to know how to select all the brushes in a selection and tie them to their own origin point, so I can separate the spawns from the main area.

2. Kraken

Kraken Few more zeros and ones for the site to proccess

Positive Ratings:
    Whoa whoa. This is your first map? I think that really ambiguous, even the "pro's" have hard time with that.

This isn't meant to disgourace you.

3. henke37

aa henke37

Positive Ratings:
    I don't think that's a gag. The word you are looking for is a gimmick.

4. BlockBuilder57

Positive Ratings:
    Gimmick, gag, I don't know terms ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°

I've been working on small projects through out the year, so I think I am ready for it.

5. Idolon

aa Idolon the worst admin

Positive Ratings:
    If you just want to open and close doors, you'll want to use func_door. You can change where the players spawn by enabling and disabling the spawnpoint/respawnroom/visualizer entities.

As for the logic setup, you'll probably want to use a math_counter in tandem with a logic_case. Have the goal trigger send the math_counter an Add 1 input on score:

[​IMG]

Then, have the math_counter send its value to the logic_case:

[​IMG]

Set up your case parameters like this:

[​IMG]

And last, set up all of your inputs for opening and closing doors, and changing spawnrooms:

[​IMG]

You can continue to add more case statements if you want things to happen on 4, 5, 6 points scored etc.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. BlockBuilder57

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks, but I don't need the func_door tutorial, but the math_counter is perfect, thanks! Now if I could just make these asteroids not look like a glitchy mess that would be perfect, should I just use a sphere and add noise to it then smooth it out?

7. MaccyF

aa MaccyF Notoriously Unreliable

Positive Ratings:
    low gravity pass time sounds intense, Also i's suggest looking at a decompiled rd_asteroid to see how valve does it. You might find the material's normal map does a lot of the work for you